Thread: Vette vs Cobra?

Redfire
    2004 Terminator

Vette vs Cobra?

Is this thread is not allowed for some reason just let me know and I'll delete it.

Okay, I love Terminators and Corvettes and I am going to be picking up a new car soon but I can't decide what I want. The choices would be 03-04 Cobra, C5 Z06, or early model C6. I was just wondering what you guys think about each. I know whatever I get I will want to do stuff to it and from the looks it seems the cobra is cheaper to modify. Let's say I got one and put 5k of parts on it. Would one out perform the other buy much? One more thing is I'm wondering if there is a shop that specializes in LS motor work around my area I am in NE AR about an hour away from Memphis, TN. I know there is a mustang shop in Memphis. I do plan on test driving a cobra soon and I haven't driven the C5 Z06 but I have driven the other two. Thanks for the help guys.

2005 GTO M6 Black
    2000 Z28 A4 Red

Spectacle Solutions in memphis, www.spectaclesolutions.com. theres another that I won't name but they are extremely high priced and I've heard (and seen first hand) quite a few horror stories so they will remain nameless. But Brian and Jason are good people and do mostly LS based work with actually decent pricing.

gold
    2000 honder accord

Terminator is cheaper to modify, yes. But when you break something a 4v mod motor can be hell to tear apart and put back together. the LS motors are basically still the same chevy small block with FI.

But if you want to go fast for cheap Terminator is the way to go. But I cant get over how sexy vettes are and always will be.

None

Any Vette rocks with me!

Big GM guy...

Jetstream Blue Metallic
    2008 Z06 Corvette

Are you looking strickly for straight line performance? Or do you enjoy carving up the twisties too? How much of your driving time is HONESTLY spent at or near the cars full potential? LS series engined cars are famous for their reliablity and fuel mileage,(especially highway) can the same be said for the Ford?
    A great part of the decision making aspect of my purchase of the Z06 was the overall BALANCE of the car. The power is there obviously for the punch, but the light weight and fully independant suspension, (two things the Ford lacks) makes for a car that handles, and to me...that's the differance between a Muscle car, and a Sports car.
    You must ask yourself the question...what do you really want?
    Sure you can pour money into either car and get the Vette to go faster...
    and the Ford to handle better...
    But only you know how important each catagory is to you.
    Good luck on your final decision and purchase, but I'm hoping you go with the Corvette!

None

Corners and Fords do not go hand in hand...
    My daily driver of a Dodge beater truck handles as well as the 02 Stang
    that I test drove! My 99 Dodge Avenger would smoke it on any twisty track
    and it only had 163 HP, maybe not yet I would try it....

None

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Hyde View Post
    Are you looking strickly for straight line performance? Or do you enjoy carving up the twisties too? How much of your driving time is HONESTLY spent at or near the cars full potential? LS series engined cars are famous for their reliablity and fuel mileage,(especially highway) can the same be said for the Ford?
    A great part of the decision making aspect of my purchase of the Z06 was the overall BALANCE of the car. The power is there obviously for the punch, but the light weight and fully independant suspension, (two things the Ford lacks) makes for a car that handles, and to me...that's the differance between a Muscle car, and a Sports car.
    You must ask yourself the question...what do you really want?
    Sure you can pour money into either car and get the Vette to go faster...
    and the Ford to handle better...
    But only you know how important each catagory is to you.
    Good luck on your final decision and purchase, but I'm hoping you go with the Corvette!

JetStream Blue
    2008 ZO6 Corvette

I agree with Mr. Hyde! You need to decide what you want.
    I've owned both a 03 Cobra and a GT 500. I loved booth cars.
    I now own a 08 Vette and I love it. The fit, finish and over all Quality is way better than any of the Ford's I've owned.
    But I'll tell you, do what makes you happy.
    I see me buying another Mustang down the road because they are fun cars.
    I'm sure I'll be keeping the Vette too!

1966 Corvette Coupe

The ford does have IRS and with some work will handle pretty good....

Ok from someone that has lived with a vette (as a weekend only car)...

1. Will you ever need to carry 2 people? (Cobra)
    2. Would you like to have a removeable top? (C6 or Termy vert)
    3. Feel locatin of shifters in both... (Vette will win)
    4. Do you like the way positive displacement superchargers feel and sound? (Termy)
    5. Collectability. (Termy or Z)
    6. Gas mileage (vettes)
    7. Over all fit finish and style (c6)

I was disapointed with my C5... Fit, Finish, exclusitivity.... i am currently looking for a car and have considered both the termy and the C6... C6's arent exclusive (nor are mustangs, but terms are pretty rare), but if that doesnt bother you and you dont need a back seat they are pretty much the perfect car (make sure you get a Z-51 6 speed), but i reccommend a termy to alot of people that are looking for sports cars... they are nasty bitches and always will be... In 20 years people will still be looking at a termy saying thats a nasty bitch... a few grand in the car and you will be pushing over 400 to the ground and have enough suspension upgrades to outrun most cars in the curves, and enough appearance upgrades to set yourself apart from the crowd... The interior is a lacking and i hate the way the shifter feals, but like i said... NASTY NASTY cars...

-me

gold
    2000 honder accord

Quote Originally Posted by predator View Post
    The ford does have IRS and with some work will handle pretty good....

Ok from someone that has lived with a vette (as a weekend only car)...

1. Will you ever need to carry 2 people? (Cobra)
    2. Would you like to have a removeable top? (C6 or Termy vert)
    3. Feel locatin of shifters in both... (Vette will win)
    4. Do you like the way positive displacement superchargers feel and sound? (Termy)
    5. Collectability. (Termy or Z)
    6. Gas mileage (vettes)
    7. Over all fit finish and style (c6)

I was disapointed with my C5... Fit, Finish, exclusitivity.... i am currently looking for a car and have considered both the termy and the C6... C6's arent exclusive (nor are mustangs, but terms are pretty rare), but if that doesnt bother you and you dont need a back seat they are pretty much the perfect car (make sure you get a Z-51 6 speed), but i reccommend a termy to alot of people that are looking for sports cars... they are nasty bitches and always will be... In 20 years people will still be looking at a termy saying thats a nasty bitch... a few grand in the car and you will be pushing over 400 to the ground and have enough suspension upgrades to outrun most cars in the curves, and enough appearance upgrades to set yourself apart from the crowd... The interior is a lacking and i hate the way the shifter feals, but like i said... NASTY NASTY cars...

-me
    side note, the shifter is an easy fix with a shifter from mgw that can adjust a little closer to the driver.

Jetstream Blue Metallic
    2008 Z06 Corvette

if you're looking for a bit of exclusivity, consider the C6 Z06 then. Just like it's big brother the ZR1, GM only has a limited run of approx. 1800/2000 of them annually.
    Think about it, How many C6 Z06's do you see in any given week-month on the road?
    And this was BEFORE they shut down the Bowling plant...

Millennium Yellow
    '02 Corvette

if you're looking for a bit of exclusivity, consider the C6 Z06 then. Just like it's big brother the ZR1, GM only has a limited run of approx. 1800/2000 of them annually.
    Think about it, How many C6 Z06's do you see in any given week-month on the road?
    And this was BEFORE they shut down the Bowling plant...
    I dont wont to burst your bubble but there are a lot more C6 Z06's out there than you think. In '06 there were 6,272, '07 there were 8,159, and in '08 there were 7,731 Z06's. I know I live in a major city but I see a lot of C6 Z06's on the road. Im not trying to bash the C6 Z06, Id love to have one myself but they are not as rare as you think. The C6 ZR1 is another story. Here is my source for the production numbers.
    http://corvetteactioncenter.com/spec...roduction.html

To the OP, just test drive all three and see which on you like the best. As others have mentioned, the Mustang will be cheaper to mod but the Corvette, IMO, is more fun to drive. The Corvette and Mustang and in two completely different classes.

Jetstream Blue Metallic
    2008 Z06 Corvette

Good post! I called my friend and said "Hey what the hell, you're makin' me look bad here?" He said I misquoted him in that GM EXPORTS roughly 1800/2000 Z06's annually.
    I stand corrected Sir.
    It was intersting looking at all those facts though.

Millennium Yellow
    '02 Corvette

Good post! I called my friend and said "Hey what the hell, you're makin' me look bad here?" He said I misquoted him in that GM EXPORTS roughly 1800/2000 Z06's annually.
    I stand corrected Sir.
    It was intersting looking at all those facts though.
    lol its cool. Corvette Action's website always has a lot of good info. on it.

Thread Information