which vette is best

hey guys, im brand new here, just curious on your thoughts about the targa or t-top vette. Im looking at buying one off ebay, i was wondering if theres a big tradeoff weight and strenth wise between the 3 cars-convertable,t-top,and hard top. I really like the look of the t-top but dont wanna sacrifice much performance for some sky above me. Any help would be great.

1966 Corvette Coupe

ok first off you ask targa or t... thats like asking what generation should i get.. too much of a question 4 me...

but then you ask vert targa or hard top... might can help you out there...

verts are sweet no denying that... you can just deside that you want to see some sky and open the top... and you can even get modules that will close the top (not latch it down though) when you lock your car making it a 0 effort car...

targas require a bit of planning i mean you have to stow it and blah blah blah and that means you have to kinda plan to be out for a bit to take the top off or atleast the top has to be off somewhere you trust it not to get ganked...
    but the open air is still there...

hard top lighter (80-100 pounds) and stiffer... and i havent regretted not being able to crack my top (i personally own a 00 FRC) and like the looks of the hard top better...

heres the thing... what options do you want?

hard top... 6 speed, z51, black interior, 99/00 unless you go with z06... 00 have HUD and better rims as options (i would go for an 00 if this is route you are taking)

z06 is a bit over priced in my mind so i wouldnt go for one...

an advantage to a hard top is price... they are friggin dirt cheap...

here it is... i dont think you will regret a hard top... i like the fact that i can put a full cage in mine later and not ahve to worry about what it looks like with targa off, but if you want and auto or adjustable suspension... gotta go another choice...

and and just to let you know you can make a hard top a targa for $7k or a hard top vert for $11k and in some cases you can actually buy a hard top and have the top chopped into a hard top vert (friggin bad ass car) for cheaper than you could buy a vert thats just a year or 2 newer...

-me

black
    2002 Pontiac Trans Am WS6

^^ as he said, performance / dollar the FRC is the one to get. i dunno how important the removable top is for you, but if its not get a frc. i agree that the z06 is a bit over priced. i was in the market for one for awhile and some things came up and i ended up buying a 02ws6 and modding it for less than the z06 i was supposed to buy. they are badass though, there is no doubt.

thanks, that helps alot, im probly gena go with the hardtop, seems like the most economical way to go, plus, looks the best in my mind

Silver, Black
    03 Viper, 05 Escalade

id go with the zO6 or the coupe. the removable top is great but the 405 hp is awesome. the frc lacks both.

1966 Corvette Coupe

most zo6's cost $7k more than an frc in comparable shape and thats just the 385 versions... and 405 hp? that like $3k worth... i will say the z06 tranny is wicked, but i really hate the 2 tone interior, the wheels (yes i said it i dont like them), the rear brake vents, and the front screens....

if you want a hard top... get a frc and build it... you could have a supercharged frc for what you could have a z06... and FRC's are rarer than z06s if you are looking collectability...

-me

Silver, Black
    03 Viper, 05 Escalade

Quote Originally Posted by predator View Post
    most zo6's cost $7k more than an frc in comparable shape and thats just the 385 versions... and 405 hp? that like $3k worth... i will say the z06 tranny is wicked, but i really hate the 2 tone interior, the wheels (yes i said it i dont like them), the rear brake vents, and the front screens....

if you want a hard top... get a frc and build it... you could have a supercharged frc for what you could have a z06... and FRC's are rarer than z06s if you are looking collectability...

-me
    As far as the cost, of course they will cost more but they will always be worth alot more. The front screens are subjective, I think they look the best. As far as the 2 tone seats, they all dont. The one I'm looking at is black on black interior with the red logo. As far as the wheels, those are opinated too. To me, the black Z06 wheels with the chrome lip is amazing. The wheels on the coupe, some of the 2000s have the s chrome 5 spokes. There are alot of nice vettes out there for sale with nice aftermarket wheels on their vettes. Mine has the chrome 5 spoke off the 2000. The frc's could be rarer, but will never be worth as much...basically it is a lower powered, less desirable car. I wont argue that it isn't the best bang for the buck, because it is and it can be faster modded for a cheaper price than a Z06. The Z06 also has wider tires and all the 02+ came with all the goodies. It all comes down to what you plan on doing with the car.

black
    1993 Vette

or skip the c5 owned one hated it the damn thing drove like a sedan dont get me wrong they handle! but the variable ratio and overly powered steering plus the suttle ride does not in my opinion inspire driver confidance I sold my modified 95 for a 00 and within a year sold the 00 and bought my 93
    you can buy a good condition c4 for 10k and then have between 6-10k left to upgrade the suspension brakes and engine for 20k put into a c4 it will destroy a c5 for the same cost if money is no object get a c5 but for every dollar you spend on LS1 you could have more in LT1. all LS1 parts cost more than LT1

silver

Well you like what you like I own three vette's a 72 stingray feels way under powered for only having 36,000 original miles on it and its 70's technology. Also a 92 C4 which rides like a truck with the Z51 suspension, I feel like I'm going to bounce off the rode and you have to dive to get into the car lack of room. also I own a 99frc supercharged and before I did that the car was a dream and I have had it for three years now and I still cant sleep because I want to drive it so bad, and now with over 500wrhp its even harder to get to sleep!!!

black
    1993 Vette

you are 100% correct on the c4 z-51 suspension it will shake your damn teeth out. thats why it was the first thing i changed. 72 is a beautiful car the c3 has style but most years have no power thanks to the gas shortage c1s look the best drive the worst but hey their over 50 yrs old c2 66,67 cost the most but damn gota love the 427bb
    and your right personal choice is subjective my bigest complaint on c5 is the ride and the huge rear end that looks disproportonat to the rest of the car

silver

When I worked at JBA Performance we called my car the luxury sports car because your right you cant feel the road as much compared to a mustang witch I have as well, (I know I know don’t yell at me) :P it was my first car :P but doing a cheep change of the sway bars and shocks made a world of difference. The rear end I didn’t like much at first but it explains why you can get two huge bags of golf clubs in there . I guess the c5 for me has lots of room (for a sports car) and I can do everything I need to do day to day without a complaint I know with my other Vette's I was constantly borrowing a friends car for some things I needed to pick up.

black
    1993 Vette

I cant say much about owning a mustang technicaly I have owned 2 a 79 cobra that was mine (incedentaly was the only car I have owned wich had a major electrical fire twice!) and the 01 v6 that my wife owned. As far as storage that is one of my favorite things about c4,5,6 each differers by some displacment I think the c5 is the largest "trunk" but I have move a lot of stuff with mine.

To the person origanly postin this thread until we got off topic (kinda):
    if you want style C1,2,or3
    Either the c4or5 can be either a serious street machine or a barely street legal race car. C4 is cheaper to get race ready c5 when prepared with cost more but out perform C4 and c5 will always have a greater refinment than c4 unless you are talking about one of the rare callaway speedsters but the last one of those I saw for sale was about 250K

P.S. if you go for the c5 buy the 99 or 00 hardtop unless you realy like targas

Black
    2004 Mustang GT

I am in the same boat on this, i love the look of the targa car, but i would love the extra 55hp in the Z06. i cant figure out what to do.

silver

get a targa and spend the difference that you would on the ZO6 and get a supercharger for the targa and youll be faster than 90% of the vetts on the road

black
    1993 Vette

for the original question the best vette right now is the c6 z06 (most of us cannot afford that) for those of you who don't know in the mid 1980s when GM thought about retiring our beloved corvette. one of the primary reasons was the new federal law about the gas guzzeler tax. GM internaly swore they would never build a car that had to pay it (I don't know what the criteria are) but I was impressed by the 405hp z06 that didn't have to pay it and I am amazed! that the 505hp does not pay it. keep in mind the 04 mustang cobra (supercharged) with 398hp payed the tax. And still to this day people write letters to the editor of Car and Driver Road and Track and Motor Trend complaining about how chevy is still using 1950's tech I guess most of them dont realise that foriegn maker have been using DOHC since the 60's and LT5 was a DOHC motor personaly I want a ZR1 no its not as fast as other vettes but its classic, better than that would be a 91 B2K the last year of the B2k and the lowest production of about 20 cars that is equivalant to the L-88 corvettes of the late 60's ergo the B2K should be the most valuable vette of our generation

torchred
    99 FRC Vette

99 FRC love the hardtop. Oh I own one

Jet Stream Blue
    2009 Lingenfelter ZR1

Quote Originally Posted by 99FRCtrochred View Post
    99 FRC love the hardtop. Oh I own one
    Me too, but I would have to say that the best Corvette is the one sitting in your garage!
    2009 JSB Lingenfelter ZR1

torchred
    99 FRC Vette

Quote Originally Posted by BlownC5 View Post
    Me too, but I would have to say that the best Corvette is the one sitting in your garage!
    yea, you are right

Mag Red II
    2001 Coupe

I have a MagRed coupe, but the FRC's are nice looking. BUT, MagRed is the best color....

Pewter
    2000 Corvette FRC

Sorry but I'm partial to pewter

Thread Information