Filed under: Convertible, Coupe, Budget, Hybrid, Performance, Wagon, Hatchback, Audi, BMW, Chevrolet, Lamborghini, Volkswagen, Ferrari, Renault, Citroën, UK, Luxury

The lads at Top Gear have released their listing of the finest cars of the past year, handing the ultimate honor to BMW's revolutionary i8 plug-in-hybrid supercar.

"The i8 is a milestone in the annals of automotive history and a glorious statement for an exciting and positive future. The i8 delivers - and then some," the British mag wrote. The i8, though, was far from the only hybridized car to take victories. James May and Richard Hammond both highlighted hybrids as their personal cars of the year, with May saluting the Ferrari LaFerrari and the Hamster, unsurprisingly, heaping praise on the Porsche 918 Spyder. Jeremy Clarkson, meanwhile, opted to shock many by selecting not only an American car as his best of 2014, but giving the honor to of all things, a Corvette.

Clarkson wasn't the only person to honor the USA's iconic sports car, with the new, 650-horsepower Z06 variant being named TG's Muscle Car of the Year. Other big winners include Mercedes-Benz, which TG honored for S-Class Coupe (Luxury Car of the Year), the new AMG GT (Sports Car of the Year) and the not-for-US C-Class Estate (Family Car of the Year). The 458 Italia Speciale A snagged a second win for Ferrari.

The best of the rest include the Citroen C4 Cactus, Renault Twingo, Volkswagen Golf R, Lamborghini Huracan and Audi TT.

Take a look below for the celebratory press blast from BMW.Continue reading Top Gear names BMW i8 Car of the Year, Corvette, Ferrari, Mercedes also win big
Top Gear names BMW i8 Car of the Year, Corvette, Ferrari, Mercedes also win big originally appeared on Autoblog on Fri, 05 Dec 2014 14:14:00 EST. Please see our terms for use of feeds.
Permalink | Email this | Comments

More...