Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Rally Red
    2002 Z28 Camaro

Thinking of picking up a C4, advice?

So, as mentioned, I'm thinking about looking into a C4 Corvette. To do so I wold be getting rid of my 2002 Z28 Camaro with 64K on the clock.

I was thinking it would have to be at least a 92-96 as I prefer the LT1 engine. Any advice as to what to watch out for?

Thanks in advance!

MACHINE SILVER
    2005 C6 CORVETTE

Any reason why you are not considering a C5 ?

Rally Red
    2002 Z28 Camaro

Any reason why you are not considering a C5 ?
    Price. I would LOVE a C5!

However, I have a car note on my 11 Jeep which is my DD. After the blizzard we just had, it's really nice to have a 4 wheel drive vehicle.

My Camaro is paid off so an LT1 C4 would be closer to my budget.

Hugger Orange
    1999 Z28

I read to not buy one with R12 AC. I think they changed in '93. '93 + was good choice. They are good prices right now.

hugger orange
    1999 camaro ss

I say downgrade. Just my .02 cents

You've Seen The Butcher GoldenFlame's Avatar

2009 Silverado Z71
    2003 Corvette MN6 Black

Nothing Wrong with a C4, but I would keep the Camaro until you can afford a C5 if that's what you really would like.. As soon as I sell my Camaro that's what I'm doing

Rally Red
    2002 Z28 Camaro

Nothing Wrong with a C4, but I would keep the Camaro until you can afford a C5 if that's what you really would like
    As mentioned I would love a C5, but that's not going to happen anytime soon since I just bought my 2011 Jeep.

Ray Charles blue

I wouldnt say the C4 is a down grade but its a different animal all together. A later model C4 is not going to win a drag race against an LS1 car, just isnt going to happen. Can you run 13s? Yeah, if you can drive a 6-speed IRS car.

The Corvette will out handle your Z28 like nothing. It was the biggest thing from coming from a 94 -6-speed convertible. For instance, a certain on ramp I would take 1 handed with my corvette and the Z28 I need both hands at 50mph onthe same corner. Both interiors are not great but the Corvette feels more like a fighter jet and you held in place far better with the seats. The rear in the 6-speed cars is strong, the ZF-6 is a decent unit, and the LT1 is a toque engine. You can ask pajeff02, my 94 ran quite well for a stock engine LT1.

You will get more "ass" with the Corvette though. Girls dont know that its "just" an LT1. haaha

Remember though, the LT1 has the optistpark which can be an issue. 92/93 LT1 are SD cars where from 94 up they are MAF. You can find a 96 with the LT4 package that is quite a step up in performance. I think you should be on the look-out for one of those! Also, you can find a decent mileage ZR1 for mid teens now and those things are amazing. On the top end they are amazing cars. Plus the DOHC engine in those sounds like pure sex to the ears.

victory red
    2007 zo6

i like golden fame, opinion ! i also agree with tls addict post ! i know you dont want to hear this, but the newest corvette is the best, at least a c5 !! rkvette

Rally Red
    2002 Z28 Camaro

Well, I went to look at two C4's over the weekend...Long story short they never want to give you what your car is worth and then put a few thousand down on top of the deal. Of course, this doesn't surprise me a bit. Based on this I've decided to just keep my Z28. I put a set of ZR1 rims on it, I guess thats a close as I'm going to get for now! LOL!

I basically chose to buy a new 2011 Jeep as a daily driver, project cars/race cars are fun but you need something that can get you to work no matter what. We had one of the worst blizzards in many years and if it wouldn't have been for the jeep a would have been SOL!

Thanks to all of the above who chimed in though!

Red, Pewter
    03 cobra07 street glide

should have bought a used jeep than bought a c5 can pick c5s up for high to mid teens

Rally Red
    2002 Z28 Camaro

The rims are about as close to a Vette as I'll be getting. LOL............

Custom Swirly Black
    2001 WS6 M6

For the future, if your still looking into a C4, research how much fun replacing the opti is, lol.

Quote Originally Posted by TLS_Addict View Post
    You will get more "ass" with the Corvette though. Girls dont know that its "just" an LT1. haaha
    LOL, my friend's;

Ray Charles blue

The opti isnt that bad. Some guys have done it so often they can do it with their eyes closed! hahaha

Navy Blue Metallic
    98 T/A w/ mods, 00 FBVert

Probably to late to add but the C4 is a POS. They go for 4-6k here. Most are getting getto treatments and really bring it's legacy even further down. I'd stay far away from the C4 and save for a C5 at lease. Besides your Camaro is practically a C5 in drive train so it would be a set down. Just my .02 cents.

Ray Charles blue

How is the C4 a POS? lol 4-6k is JUNK for a Corvette I will agree but a C4 is not a POS car. Its suspension is leaps and bounds beyond our LS1 cars....

Slightly less power, lighter, handles better, ZF tranny, stronger rear.......yeah they are a POS.....hahah

Navy Blue Metallic
    98 T/A w/ mods, 00 FBVert

They rode horrible. That's why to many corvette enthusiast they are an albatross to the Corvette legacy. The ZR1 was one of the few of that generation that are worthy.

All of the 80's models were plague with part failures, delays and factory faults. Only after the LT1s (mid 90's) start coming did they start picking up quality. As a whole the 4th gen vettes are POS. I'm not saying that there weren't any good ones but that many where bad leading vette sales to plummet. That's why when the C5s came vette sales started improving.

tHE c4 VERTS IN BLACK ARE SWEET THIO...
    04 C5 A4 Torch Red - sold
    2009 CTS4 Ice Black - sold
    2013 1500 Silverado Z71 - sold
    02 Z/28 M6 Onyx Black All Options - Sold

2014 Caddy CTS4 - DD
    2016 Silverado 2500HD
    2020 Caddy XT6
    2020 2SS Vert

Navy Metallic Blue
    2001 Corvette Coupe

Quote Originally Posted by SMWS6TA View Post
    They rode horrible. That's why to many corvette enthusiast they are an albatross to the Corvette legacy. The ZR1 was one of the few of that generation that are worthy.

All of the 80's models were plague with part failures, delays and factory faults. Only after the LT1s (mid 90's) start coming did they start picking up quality. As a whole the 4th gen vettes are POS. I'm not saying that there weren't any good ones but that many where bad leading vette sales to plummet. That's why when the C5s came vette sales started improving.
    As a Corvette owner, I have never heard anyone who actually owns a C4, share your opinion. There are quite a few solid C4's out there. You should make a visit to Corvettes at Carlisle. You will see a strong C4 following.

Awaiting Activation
    n/a

Quote Originally Posted by SMWS6TA View Post
    Probably to late to add but the C4 is a POS. They go for 4-6k here. Most are getting getto treatments and really bring it's legacy even further down. I'd stay far away from the C4 and save for a C5 at lease. Besides your Camaro is practically a C5 in drive train so it would be a set down. Just my .02 cents.
    What are these ghetto treatments? people running 24's blingin with a "nice" exhaust and some subs?

And the owner got the bondo on lock down.
    Did he stop moving? yea hiz rimz are spinning

Last edited by Hot head; 04-18-2011 at 09:51 AM.

Thread Information