Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Midnight blue
    1999 Camaro Z28

Stick vs. automatic

I've been looking around and pricing Corvette's, since I plan to get one by late May. I've never had one before (but had several F-Bodys, Grand Nationals, and Mustangs), and want to try a 'vette. I'd like one between 1995 and 1998. However, I was astounded to learn that (at least the ones I've seen so far, and I've looked up over 30 since I started looking) that the overwhelming majority were automatics. Now, I'm not the kinda guy to put anyone down, so I apologize if I offend anyone, but...Who in their right mind would even think about spending all that money and getting an automatic? Now, not knowing much about Corvettes, I imagined the majority would be stick. Heck, at worse I thought it would be 50-50. Boy, was I wrong! What is the actual percentage, and why so many autos? Is this because they attract a lot of old men trying to pick up 18 year-old girls who were poor as kids and never had anything fast in their youth, hence they don't know how to drive sticks? What gives!

your parts guy!!! 1fastcamarosss11's Avatar

trans am 00 ws6
    1998 camaro ss vert

well for drag racing if you put a big stall converter in it, you times will be faster then a stick? do you plan on racing it? or are you get close to the age where you need to try to pick up 18 year old girls? if you don't want the auto get a stick. and you mat be right about the auto's.

Onyx
    2001 SS A4

No responses? Gee, I wonder why? I owned a 13.0 97Z A4. I now have a 2001 SS A4 that I 'll make faster one of these days. I would really like a Vette someday; 6spd auto baby! I like to drink coffee, eat and talk on my cellphone while watching everyone else row through the gears. Unfortunately, I can't multi-task to the extent that some of you can. Eating, drinking, talking on the cell phone and shifting at the same time, kudos to you that can. A4 for me, dude. I'm just a p-ssy I guess:=)

black
    97 6-speed corvette

White Knight...You are probably right about old people but mainly I think they just want to enjoy the drive slowly. I personally would pay more for the stick (and have) because it is a sports car. A auto with a bigger stall can be better in the qtr. but race the stick thru the turns and see who is ahead. You mentioned looking at 95`s to 98`s, go with at "least" a 97 it`s a completely different car, I drove them all and theres no comparison.

Black
    1999 Corvette

Well i just bought a 99 vette (auto) and i love it! i went from a 5-speed and thought i would hate having a auto, but i dont. It hooks go good! and its still fun to drive.

98 Camaro, 97 Vette

If you are going to keep it stock, or mostly stock, a stick is definitely faster and better MPG than an auto. I have a 6 speed and love it, but for the serious racer a stick would be far less consistant and slower. It all depends on what you're going to do with it.

Black
    2002 Camaro Z28 6-spd

"Manuals impress high school kids.
    Automatics win races."

SGM
    1998 Trans Am WS6

Quote Originally Posted by myk02k
    Automatics win races."
    As if manuals aren't fast

The truth of the matter is manuals are faster than autos stock for stock, no arguement. They also weigh less, get better fuel economy, put more power to the ground, and are much more fun to drive. They are not just to "impress high school kids", thats foolish.

Heres the bottom line - get an auto and build/stall if you want to get down the track as fast as possible, while sacrificing street driveability, fuel mileage, and fun.

If you actually plan on driving your car like a sports car instead of a track drag car, get a manual, autos are only good for the strip.

Black
    1999 Corvette

Quote Originally Posted by Wesman
    As if manuals aren't fast

The truth of the matter is manuals are faster than autos stock for stock, no arguement. They also weigh less, get better fuel economy, put more power to the ground, and are much more fun to drive. They are not just to "impress high school kids", thats foolish.

Heres the bottom line - get an auto and build/stall if you want to get down the track as fast as possible, while sacrificing street driveability, fuel mileage, and fun.

If you actually plan on driving your car like a sports car instead of a track drag car, get a manual, autos are only good for the strip.
    They are only faster stock for stock because they dont lose as much HP to the wheels as a automatic, but thats only if you are a really really good driver. Its hard to out drive a automatic. Only about 5 out of 10 people can do it. Most manual drivers i have seen just cant drive. I remember back a couple of months ago when i was at the track(1/8 mile) and a WS6 was running 9.5's! The guy just couldnt drive.

Black
    2002 Camaro Z28 6-spd

Manuals are faster? hmmm

One of my best races was me vs. my friend's ss

2000, Z28, A4, K&N FIPK
    2001, SS, M6, SLP lid, SLP LT headers, no cats ORY, cut-out after Y before downpipe, better tires, hurst shifter

First we went on a highway starting at like 30. I almost rear ended him because I was behind him and I didn't expect him to lose so much power during a shift (and he does shift very fast).

Second time was at a red light, he launched at like 2000-3000 RPM and i just stayed at my 500 RPM idle until the green light. We were nose to nose till about 30 MPH and he was literally creeping ahead (VERY slowly). By about 60 he finally hit another gear and then started gaining fast.

He had a decent list of mods, but I still gave him a fight.

Black
    1999 Corvette

Manuals are faster? hmmm

One of my best races was me vs. my friend's ss

2000, Z28, A4, K&N FIPK
    2001, SS, M6, SLP lid, SLP LT headers, no cats ORY, cut-out after Y before downpipe, better tires, hurst shifter

First we went on a highway starting at like 30. I almost rear ended him because I was behind him and I didn't expect him to lose so much power during a shift (and he does shift very fast).

Second time was at a red light, he launched at like 2000-3000 RPM and i just stayed at my 500 RPM idle until the green light. We were nose to nose till about 30 MPH and he was literally creeping ahead (VERY slowly). By about 60 he finally hit another gear and then started gaining fast.

He had a decent list of mods, but I still gave him a fight.
    very good, sounds like if you would have had the same mods as him, it would have been a dead even race.

Black
    2002 Camaro Z28 6-spd

Quote Originally Posted by 99vette
    very good, sounds like if you would have had the same mods as him, it would have been a dead even race.
    my brother was behind us. he said tell him to race one more time, but for money. he said guaranteed if i remove my hood (cuz of the intake) i would win.

i think i suprised everyone even myself that we were next to each other the whole time. dont think your better than everyone cuz u have a stick, even if your dale earnhart jr himself.

the best advice ive gotten was, 1/4 mile, same car and HP rating A4 vs M6, A4 would win the 1/4 mile....even if a monkey is driving the A4 and a professional racecar driver has the M6.

Automatics win races."

manuals are for spirited drives and autocrossing, autos are for straight line

Quote Originally Posted by White Knight
    I've been looking around and pricing Corvette's, since I plan to get one by late May. I've never had one before (but had several F-Bodys, Grand Nationals, and Mustangs), and want to try a 'vette. I'd like one between 1995 and 1998. However, I was astounded to learn that (at least the ones I've seen so far, and I've looked up over 30 since I started looking) that the overwhelming majority were automatics. Now, I'm not the kinda guy to put anyone down, so I apologize if I offend anyone, but...Who in their right mind would even think about spending all that money and getting an automatic? Now, not knowing much about Corvettes, I imagined the majority would be stick. Heck, at worse I thought it would be 50-50. Boy, was I wrong! What is the actual percentage, and why so many autos? Is this because they attract a lot of old men trying to pick up 18 year-old girls who were poor as kids and never had anything fast in their youth, hence they don't know how to drive sticks? What gives!

line your stock c5 6spd up against a stock c5 a4 thats stalled, i guarantee you, you'd be shopping for an auto after that run.

SGM
    1998 Trans Am WS6

Quote Originally Posted by C5_LS1
    line your stock c5 6spd up against a stock c5 a4 thats stalled, i guarantee you, you'd be shopping for an auto after that run.
    Yea, I'm sure every manual owner would want to trade in their 6-speed sticks for 4 speed autos to gain a small advantage in 1/4 mile times. As if its worth sacrificing the fun, overall performance, and effciency of a manual trans to get a few tenths in a straight line

Black
    2002 Camaro Z28 6-spd

Quote Originally Posted by Wesman
    Yea, I'm sure every manual owner would want to trade in their 6-speed sticks for 4 speed autos...if its worth sacrificing the fun
    I think that's what shift kits are for to us A4 guys.

black
    2002 corvette coupe

I wish I had both, I would love to drive to work and not have to do all the redlights. But oh well, struggle keeps us young. I love my stick tho and If you use it properly it is very effective.

torch red
    1997 corvette coupe

Auto or M6?

I bought a 97 A4 coupe with the performance axle (3.15) and am very happy with it. The M6 will break things if you pound on it and there are issues with the hydraulics for the clutch. Yeah, I'm old, but the a4 is a good setup.Chuck.

SGM
    1998 Trans Am WS6

the best advice ive gotten was, 1/4 mile, same car and HP rating A4 vs M6, A4 would win the 1/4 mile....even if a monkey is driving the A4 and a professional racecar driver has the M6.
    Thats some pretty bad advice. Unless you're factoring in a stalled/built auto, its totally inaccurate.

Look at the factory stock vehicle times for the same car, one with auto one with stick. 99% of the time the stick will be faster, even if both have the same number of gears and rear end ratio. Stock autos shift slowly, lose much more power through the drivetrain than manuals, and usually have much taller gear ratios.

White
    2001 Trans Am

[QUOTE=myk02k]Manuals are faster? hmmm
    2000, Z28, A4, K&N FIPK

Dude...that is the biggest pile I have ever heard. Ive had 2 automatic F bodies and the reason that I will not own another is because a stock automatic VS. a stock 6spd at a 30mph roll WILL GET HIS ASS HANDED TO HIM. Been there, done that. Repeatedly. Stall it, different story.
    Your friend CANNOT SHIFT.
    So many people get their theorys of manual VS. automatics from 15yrs ago when GM was using the T5 and 700R4. THEN... YES, the automatics were always quicker.
    Times have changed.
    Test after test have proven that in the LS1 cars with T56's, they are quicker down the 1320 than an auto.

Thread Information