Blown, Stroked, & Sprayed

Black
    383 Procharged & N20 Vert

Exclamation Sinkhole 'erupts' inside National Corvette Museum

Filed under: Classics, Convertible, Coupe, Performance, Etc., Chevrolet

A 40-foot sinkhole developed inside the National Corvette Museum in Bowling Green, KY, swallowing up eight vehicles, including two that were on loan from General Motors. No one was in the museum at the time of the incident, which happened early this morning.

According to the NCM, motion sensors were set off at 5:44 AM, leading museum authorities to discover a 25 to 30-foot deep chasm, that Executive Director Wendell Strode called "pretty significant." The sinkhole developed in the museum's Skydome, although it can't be seen on any of the museum's webcams (the Enthusiast cam is the closest look we can get to what's going on).

The Louisville Courier-Journalreports emergency personnel remain on the scene, and have only allowed museum employees to remove a single vehicle - the only remaining 1983 Corvette, which was part of a mere 44-vehicle run.

The two cars on loan from GM were a 1993 ZR-1 Spyder and a 2009 ZR1 "Blue Devil," while the damanged museum-owned cars included a 1962 Corvette, the millionth Vette ever built (a 1992), a 2001 Mallett Hammer Z06 and the 1.5 millionth car produced. None of the damaged vehicles were on loan from private individuals. The extent of the damage to these vehicles remains unclear at this time.

According to the official press release from the NCM, the Skydome is closed as damage is assessed by structural engineers, although the rest of the museum remains open. Take a look below for the museum's official press release.Continue reading Sinkhole 'erupts' inside National Corvette Museum
    Sinkhole 'erupts' inside National Corvette Museum originally appeared on Autoblog on Wed, 12 Feb 2014 10:08:00 EST. Please see our terms for use of feeds.
    Permalink | Email this | Comments

More...

Silver
    '02 Trans Am WS-6, 6M

That is just crazy! I was there for (part of) my honeymoon in 2010. I hope that the cars aren't totaled, alot of history there. I wish that mother nature had shifted the sinkhole a few hundred feet over to where the pink-diamond-clad Corvette was and took it instead of cars with the likes of the Blue Devil!!!

red
    1998 z28

Navy Blue Metallic
    98 T/A w/ mods, 00 FBVert

Sinkhole 'erupts' inside National Corvette Museum

I feel like
    http://www.ls1.com/forums/f7/my-6-liter-build-174257/

http://www.ls1.com/forums/f8/my-8-8-rear-build-165553/

6.0L Block - Forged 403ci , Polluter Stg3 Cam, FAST 102mm Intake, NW102 TB, MSD wires, NGK TR6 plugs, Truck Coil Packs, LS3 Fuel Injectors, CC Pacesetter LT Headers, TS&P ORY, QTP e-Cutout, Magnaflow Muffler, 104mm Air Lid & Line Lock, Catch Can, Stage 2 T56 w/Viper shaft, PRO 5.0 Shifter, Tick MC, SPEC Stg3+ Clutch, QT SFI BH, MWC DSL, Full UMI Performance Suspension, Belstein Shocks, Hotchkis Springs (1" Drop), YR1 Snowflake Wheels wrapped in NT555 tires & Custom Fab Ford 8.8 rear w/Wavetrac Diff 3.73 Yukon Gears, WSQ Hood, 3"CM Strange Eng Drive Shaft.

00 FB Vert - Stock

78 FB - Just getting started......

Horsepower never lies, but is often lied about!

Silver
    '02 Trans Am WS-6, 6M

When I start my job in the next few weeks, part of my first check will go as a donation to the National Corvette Museum to help them out. I know that insurance will cover this stuff, but we need to make sure that we keep this testament to America's sports car going strong. I may "only" have owned Trans Ams, but the technology and concepts employed by the Corvette go into both the Camaro and Firebird /Trans Am. I've had a great time with my cars and much of it is owed to the Corvette. I also had a great time on part of my honeymoon when we visited Bowling Green and the museum staff took us on a tour of the Corvette plant and the museum itself. In the future, I would love to buy a Corvette and take deliver at the museum. I encourage all members here that have benefited from the Corvette to make some donation, no matter the size to show our support!

Thread Information