Thread: sick injectors

silver

sick injectors

I have a 2000 corvette. Two injectors are not performing very well. I have a rough idle that will not go away with injector cleaner. The dealership of course would like to replace the two now and follow up with others that are loosing their optimum performance which is not far off according to the analysis they ran. The cost would be $1500 to $2000. I can probably buy an aftermarket set for $400. Can anyone tell me what injector would be my best choice for a 2000 and are they difficult to replace? I would like to do the job over the winter in my garage if that is possible. I do average maintenance on cars but have no electronics to tune or adjust. Just tools.

Nik

red
    2001 corvette

well I cant tell you the best injector but I can tell you that I have way better things to do with 2000$!!! ha you could buy a better than stock injector and have 1500$ to compliment the injectors with motor mods.

eating bulldog
    son of biscuit

never knew an injector would fail..perhaps fuel pressure?

silver

injector problem

Your right I have not heard of an injector failure in most vehicles but I see rebuild injectors offered at most of the after-market performance outlets so someone is replacing theirs. The diagnostic analysis clearly shows the injectors at idle were below performance standards. The dealership says that is why I have the rough idle. They said if Sonoco 94 did not clear it up they had to be changed at a ridicules price of course. I'm in favor of replacing all of them so they are equal but I have never done this before. Would really like to get a step by step procedure and then give it a try. Anyone know what PSI stock injectors put out on a 2000 corvette? Appreciate the feed back!

eating bulldog
    son of biscuit

well ill be darned..haha if they are "malfunctioning" replace em your self...shouldnt be too hard...im assuming since it is fuel related you would have to release pressure from the fuel pump,loosen the fuel rail replace each injector....don't take my word on that...just giving an assumption of what i would do...

Injector replacement usually isn't difficult. I have had them out and back in both cars. It is an afternoon job. You may have some differences because of your Corvette vs my Camaros. Once you do the job you will never look at your dealership the same. They are charging you about $1200 to $1700 for a few hours work. If you do a direct part replacement there is no need to tune anything. Your PCM will alter the LTFTs as needed.

Generally it is easiest to pull the fuel rail with all eight injectors together. If you remove your fuel rail covers you will see how simply they are attached. There is an electrical connector which detaches by hand, a spring clip holding the injector to the fuel rail, this also is detached without using a tool. The injector is positioned in the head and to the fuel rail by the friction of two O rings. It is that simple.

You can find matched sets for less than you predict. Always search ebay to get a good idea of what is offered and how much you should spend. Eight new #24 injectors for my LT1 are listed from $160 to about $270. Check with Summit, Jegs or one of the sponsors for prices. Again, I don't think you will ever look at your mechanic services in the same way.

Thread Information