Pewter
    1999 Corvette Coupe

Question Question of Heat

OK guys / gals I have a question about keeping heat off the drive shaft tunnel of my C5. We do quite a bit of touring in the summer and the thing gets really hot. So here the options I know of:

1. Heatmaster driveshaft tunnel shield at $370. This foil and NASA material installs between the tunnel shield and the interior surface with existing bolts.

2. Tunnel plate at $190. This plate bolts between two chassis members and adds support and stability plus keeps heat out of the tunnel area and interior surface???

3. Dynamat foam with foil layer $40 plus the glue and time to take out the interior mats and fit it to the tunnel plus under the seats etc.

Anybody have any experience with any of these products??

Thanks in advance.

JackMac

Black
    2003 Corvette

I wouldn't bother with option 1. Way too expensive for what you get. Option 2 is very popular. I have not had a chance to put mine in yet but you can't beat the price: http://www.customcorvetteaccessories...nelplates.html
    It has the holes cut to run your O2 sensor lines for a longtube header install. Most guys that I have talked to love this mod. Option 3 I have done but I did not use dynamat. I went to Lowe's and bought some duct insulation called frost king. It's foam rubber with foil on one side and adhesive on the other and is 1/8" thick. Cost 14 bucks a roll and it took 2 1/2 to do the front of the car. It works great. Not only does it help with heat but also with noise. Definitely worth the effort and not too expensive. Here's a pic when I was about halfway done:
    Last edited by MJD; 03-07-2007 at 01:50 PM.

silver
    2000 corvette coupe

how long did it take you MJD to install the insulation, If it helps reduce noise I'd like to do that, I've got SLP loudmouth exhaust and It wouldn't hurt to cut down on drone

Black
    2003 Corvette

Quote Originally Posted by 2000silvervette View Post
    how long did it take you MJD to install the insulation, If it helps reduce noise I'd like to do that, I've got SLP loudmouth exhaust and It wouldn't hurt to cut down on drone
    It took me about 8 hours to do the front of the car. That was taking my time with a lot of breaks. 2 1/2 rolls of frost king with 2 rolls of foil tape. It did help to reduce noice but I hear the biggest impact is when you do the rear compartment. I haven't had time for this yet but plan on it. Also, a lot of guys will pull the rear wheel wells and insulate this area to help even more with road noise. I don't think this stuff is better than dynamate for noise but I'm positive it will help more with the heat. It is also way cheaper, you can do the whole car for around 120 bucks. Another thing that helped with road noise was ditching the runflats. As far as exhaust drone I don't know how much insulation will help. It will definitely decrease the volume but it will still be there. The only way to really get rid of it is to switch exhaust systems.

silver
    2000 corvette coupe

thanks for the info. I switched from runflats just recently, they're cheaper, ride better, hook up better, and not as loud. for the exhaust drone, I like the exhaust, so I'll live with it.

Thread Information