Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Silvaa
    2007 Corvette

Purchase C5 or CTSV

Hey everyone, I am in a bit of a dilemna. I sold my SS almost a year ago now and I am sick of not having a testosterone outlet! So I think I'd like to get a ctsv or a c5, ctsv of course the LS2 version (I'd get an ls9 if I could). Anyways, just looking for opinions. I don't have a family, am in the Air Force and move to arizona this spring. I won't put crazy mods on the car, but will do a few bolt ons. I want it to be reliable and very fun. What do you think? By the way if you have any other suggestions, know that I am a GM nut. Spending about 20-30K

Pewter metallic
    2000 Camaro SS

I would think for 20-30k, you could also look at used C6s and C5Z06s. I know the C5Zs fall into that range, not sure on the C6s though.

torch red
    1998 Corvette

Im personally in the same boat. I have been looking at 05 and up cts-vs, 02-04 z06s, 05-06 gtos. WIth 20k-30k you can get what ever you want(c6 included)! Personally i would get a c5 z06. that is what im looking for. but if your looking for something a little more pratical get a cts-v i guess. but i daily drove my 98' c5 like it was my job.

Arctic White, red/gray
    1997 Corvette, 92 Typhoon

These cars are apples to oranges. A vette is worlds away fro ma cts-V. What is this car gonna be used for? DD, weekend warrior? What? If you havbe a DD i see no reason not to go with the Vette, unless you have kids you will be transporting often cause that will mean no driving the vette on those days.

blacker than wesleysnipes
    98' trans am

a quick price update for ya

cts-v ls6 and ls2 can be had for 20-30k
    corvette C6 and C5 base models can be had for 20k-30k
    corvette c5 z06 can be had for 25k-30kish
    corvette c6 z06 can be had for 45-70k

personally if you have no family...and want a near f-body replacement ( i assume from your post that you have a DD etc..to go with a 06+ vette ...you will love it..trust me

blacker than wesleysnipes
    98' trans am

also the new cts-v does not have a ls9 engine...it has the lsa

Arctic White, red/gray

You also live in NH and your guys get snow right? So what you gonan drive in winter? CTS-V with blizzaks would do just fine.

torch red
    1998 Corvette

all good things.

Silvaa
    2007 Corvette

Ok, well no kids, which is a plus for the vette. Like I said, I will be in arizona, so winter is a non issue. More so I am trying to decide what will be something fun and fast, as different as these cars are they are probably my top 2. If I get a vette no z06 because I might as well have a targa if I can, love the open top. The new CTSV I know, is LSA, but I thought it was only being called that before it was released because people weren't sure what it would have...Either way, similar engines. My downside on the vette is this, it would be stored outdoors. I can put a cover on, but that's about it. I'm thinking vette though now. be an overally more performance car than my SS was, and topless! Any more insight let me know, but thanks for everything so far

Silvaa
    2007 Corvette

Quote Originally Posted by shady milkman View Post
    a quick price update for ya

cts-v ls6 and ls2 can be had for 20-30k
    corvette C6 and C5 base models can be had for 20k-30k
    corvette c5 z06 can be had for 25k-30kish
    corvette c6 z06 can be had for 45-70k

personally if you have no family...and want a near f-body replacement ( i assume from your post that you have a DD etc..to go with a 06+ vette ...you will love it..trust me
    The C6 I've seen for high 20's, but into the 30's is really stretching my budget. I thought maybe pick a C5 up for like 22, throw on an exhaust for now and maybe later throw on a little performance. I keep checking websites for awesome c6 deals, but haven't been sold yet. definitely would be a worthy upgrade though.

Black
    2000 Camaro Z28 (sold)

Your young and living in good weather. Get the Vette!

Arctic White, red/gray

Quote Originally Posted by 00LS12LS6Z28 View Post
    Your young and living in good weather. Get the Vette!
    Agreed, however i dont think i could throw aside a c5 z06 just becasue the top doesnt come off. If its performacne you want the car that doesn't have a part of the chassis missing on sunny days will be the better performer.
    Last edited by Zinergy; 11-19-2009 at 01:58 PM.

torch red
    1998 Corvette

you can get a low miles targa c5 for under 20g...

sold: 1999 firebird
    1998 Trans Am

Quote Originally Posted by ls1forlife View Post
    you can get a low miles targa c5 for under 20g...
    get a base c5 vette, and just see what happens. the envy of those around you with z06s will slowly kill you,

if your going for a used vette, get a z06

sold: 1999 firebird
    1998 Trans Am

Quote Originally Posted by Zinergy View Post
    Agreed, however i dont think i could throw aside a c5 z06 just becasue the top doesnt come off. If its performacne you want the car that doesn't have a part of the chassis missing on sunny days will be the better performer.
    this.

Quick Silver
    2002 Z06

I personally would go for vette but you might look into insurance and maintenance.

4 tires for the vette will run you $800 - $1000 depending on what tires you get. + the cost of mount and balance.

Slow Passenger Window - Want Passenger Express Down - Tired of Replacing DayTime Running Light Bulbs

Camaro Owners Click Here
    Firebird Owners Click Here

Need instructions to replace your F-Body window motor?
    www.AutoTrix.net

torch red
    1998 Corvette

just buy a vette. I had a few, they are a world of difference from a f body. plus ull have the weather for top off alllllll the time. dont get a polycarb top though, itll de lam

2011 Prius

Quote Originally Posted by gnomee View Post
    4 tires for the vette will run you $800 - $1000 depending on what tires you get. + the cost of mount and balance.
    Tell me about it, I plain to buy my friends real black ZR-1's with 70% thread life, lol.

Hell, the C4 handles way bettery then an F-Body.

Pewter
    2000 Z28 Camaro

Quote Originally Posted by 001CamaroSS View Post
    Ok, well no kids, which is a plus for the vette. Like I said, I will be in arizona, so winter is a non issue. More so I am trying to decide what will be something fun and fast, as different as these cars are they are probably my top 2. If I get a vette no z06 because I might as well have a targa if I can, love the open top. The new CTSV I know, is LSA, but I thought it was only being called that before it was released because people weren't sure what it would have...Either way, similar engines. My downside on the vette is this, it would be stored outdoors. I can put a cover on, but that's about it. I'm thinking vette though now. be an overally more performance car than my SS was, and topless! Any more insight let me know, but thanks for everything so far
    Well I can say I've been in your situation before and i bought the f-body. If i had to do it again I'd have gotten the c5, but they weren't as cheap as they are now. C6's are on ebay for mid 20s, so if you like the look, you could go with that, but I personally would stick with the vette cuz i like the looks better than a cts-v.

When I lived on base, i'd use a cover, but it blows off and shit and can be a real pain and dumb drunk airmen can hit it etc. So i got an apartment garage through a friend for like 40 bucks. I suggest you do the same and buy a cheap DD to drive around on base, waste gas with that etc. On nice days or if you just feel like it, go grab the vette and put the DD in the garage...worked great for me.

Good luck with purchase.

COTM July '09

BLK/BLK w/CGM Stripes
    2010 Camaro 2SS/M6

ummm ... CTS-V!!! lol, I'd love the 'vette and its performance but with a baby its not even as practical as a f-body (rear seats). But for you, Vette!

Thread Information