Possible purchase, need your thoughts/input

Hey all! I am new to LS1.com and have to say, looks like an awesome community. Looking for some thoughts on a c5 Corvette coupe i am thinking of buying. It's a 1997 coupe, automatic. Has 23k miles, and is owned by a sweet little old couple. Completely stock. The color is Light carmine red with a black glass targa top and light gray interior. Garage kept. They are asking 16k and are pretty firm on that price. So that is where my question comes in. Is that high/low/fair? Looking around I see pretty wide range of pricing. Any help would be fantastic. I am not in a big rush to buy, so if it is high I can walk away. Thanks so much all and happy New Year!

Black & Blue
    '02 WS.6 / '07 Suburban

Welcome to the site!

That does not sound bad at all to me. I've driven a couple of C5's and they are great cars. Note that even with the low mileage that you will want to pull a complete service on the car (unless already done) -- flush the cooling system, hoses, belts, transmission fluid and filter, etc... Also, take a darn good look at the tires for dry rot. Recommended change interval these days, irrespective of remaining tread life, is 6 years.

Black/ Silver
    98 TA WS6/ 01 C5 Corvette

I wouldn't buy a 97 btw. They have an inferior oil pump, ls1 block vs ls6, inferior heads not 241s or 243s, ls1 intake, and the oil pan is expensive as fuck and prone to leaking. Also the fuel pump is inferior as well and is different than the later style. Just buying a later year like 2001 you can get a better car all around especially if you aren't going to mod it but even if you are its a better car to start on. I feel like that is a little high, yes the miles are low but I got my 2001 c5 in immaculate condition for only $19000. If you have any other questions in regards the c5 let me know as I do have one.
    1998 Trans Am WS6 - Phantom
    421 CI LQ9, Tick Performance Custom Cam, TFS 255cc LS3 heads, Kooks 2" LT headers, Kooks 3" True Duals w/ high flow cats, FTP 104 lid, Speed Density Tune, 4" silicon tube, LS6 VCT, FAST 102 Intake, NW 102 TB, Oil Catch Can, SLP Bilstein Shocks w/ Vogtland Springs, CTS-V 4-piston Calipers w/C6 Z06 rotors, Stainless Steel Brake Lines, R1 concepts premium rotors, Hawk HP+ brake pads, VFN WSQ Hood, C5-R timing chain, SLP oil pump, E85 tune, Walbro 450 fuel pump, Deatschwerkz 95# injectors, Breathless performance headlights, Frost Tune, !HVAC.
    (Coming Soon) BMR DSL, UMI TQ Arm
    421 LQ9 14.8:1 on E85 Build/

Thanks so much guys for the input. Alot there i did not know about the early model issues.

Cayanne
    98 Z28 Vert M6

I wouldn't call them "issues" so much as just that the car was not as good. 97 was the first year for the C5, so the kinks hadn't been worked out yet.

Regarding the C5, like Will says, 2001 or 2002 are the ones you'd want to ideally target.
    Lid, Throttle Body, LS6 Intake, Heads, Cam, Magnaflow, LS7 Clutch, SFCs, STB, Panhard Bar, Strano Springs, Hollow Sway Bars, Poly/Roto LCAs, Konis, MGW Shifter

Thread Information