Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Need Z06 Advice

WS6 Rice Extermination MaxPlusTen's Avatar

Medium Quazar Blue
    1997 Trans Am LT1

Need Z06 Advice

Before i go to far im gonna go ahead and put on my flame suit. A little about my situation. Im 22 years old, I live on my own, I have 2 Paid off vehicles (my Trans Am and a 4wd 97 Blazer). I work for the government and have a fair amount of disposible income and have crunched the numbers. I was getting ready to buy a 2010 Camaro and could afford it comfortably. Heres my dillema though.

I am in love with C6 Z06s, and for the money i would be putting into a 2010 camaro I could easily afford a used C6 Z... Obviously my dillema now is insurance. I have a near clean record (1 ticket for 5 over in a 55 with no points) I havent called my insurance company yet (mainly because im affraid there going to laugh at me) But my issue now is... Are there loopholes to get a lower rate on a high end car being under 25?

Disclaimer: I know theres gonna be that one guy out there that says no one in there 20s needs a Z06... I have been around high performance cars my entire life, I dont street race anymore, I have drove C6 Zs. Basically what im getting at is dont give me the you dont need the car because you cant handle it bullshit. I know full well what im getting myself into. Im hear to ask advice on the insurance and nothing more.

Hope you guys can offer up some good advice. Thanks!

2011 Prius

You will be surprised how much a Corvette insurance will cost. A C5Zo6 is cheaper to insure then my 93 (More safety features they said), a C6Zo6 was about the same as my current Corvette. Also, these cars are a hell of lot cheaper then a Trans Am to insure, at least for me. I have nothing wrong with you buying a pricey car, your money and life go for it. But I just hope your not renting a house, but that's all I am going to say.

On your ass flashing
    my highbeams

When you find out I would be interested in comparison what you pay for the f-body and z06 since I am the same age.

Pewter metallic
    2000 Camaro SS

I am in a similar scenario Max, single, 2 cars paid for(Camaro and 97 Contour which is my beater). As long as I don't encounter anything major this year, I am gonna go full force after a 2008 C6 first of next year. From everything I have always heard, Vettes are generally cheaper on insurance rates than fbodies. Vettes are perceived more as a responsible vehicle due to its higher price range and amenities, versus the fbody where its easier for kids to acquire the fbody and wrap them around the tree. Perception is, if you can afford to get a Vette, you are responsible enough to not do something dumb with it and wrap it around a tree. I would call your agent and get a quote, I don't think its going to be as bad as you are thinking.

I don't know if you being <25 would adversely affect you in regards to rates. Also, do you rent/own in your living situation? If you own and not rent, that will be a huge plus in your favor towards rates.

2011 Prius

Trans Am about $150 a month to insure for basic, my Corvette cost that on Full Coverage. Basic was only $74...

Jet Stream Blue
    2009 Lingenfelter ZR1

Insurance won't be too far off the 2010 Camaro. If you can afford the Camaro, go for the Z06. Good luck.

Light Pewter Metallic
    2K Camaro Z28

Do you have USAA?

99 Z28 04 Corvette

Im 23 and full coverage on my C5 is $77 a month. Cant be much different on a z06

2011 Prius

Quote Originally Posted by 1986camarojoe View Post
    Im 23 and full coverage on my C5 is $77 a month. Cant be much different on a z06
    What company do you have? Is it your Daily or Z28 your Daily?

Black
    2000 Camaro Z28 (sold)

Quote Originally Posted by bene View Post
    Do you have USAA?
    +1 they are the cheapest. Other than that are your parents driving records clean and could they put the Z06 on their insurance policy, and/or just say that you will drive 25 miles or less per week. I was told that your insurance drops once the car is paid off, but based on experience that didn't happen for me. Once you hit 25 though your rate will drop....

99 Z28 04 Corvette

Quote Originally Posted by SHines-IT View Post
    What company do you have? Is it your Daily or Z28 your Daily?
    I go thru state farm. neither of those are my DD. Also I get discounts with all the stuff I have insured thru them.. 4 cars, house, my life.

Jetstream Blue Metallic
    2008 Z06 Corvette

Before I bought my 2008 Z06, I did call my State Farm agent to inquire about the rates.
    I was 48 at the time, clean driving record. I was driving a 2001 SS Camaro before I bought the Vette.
    The cost increased by $33.00 a month to $97.50 for full coverage.
    You sound like a very responsible young man, and I suggest that you go for the Z06!
    Just for a quick comparison, my DD, a Miata has a higher premium than the Camaro did due to it being a two seater! It runs me $86.00 a month while my 2008 Silverado comes in last at $57.00 monthly.
    Note: The Z06 is on a limited to less than 7500 miles yearly plan.

Black
    2003 Z06 Corvette

I have an 03Z and I like the car even more than the day I bought it

So I say go for it if you can afford the insurance,fuel,maintenance,and any part failures that may arise in the future

Oh yeah you may get a new wife somewhere along the way like I did after I bought my first vette so you may want to pencil in another $3000 a month + for her
    and all her Bills

Bon

Medium Quazar Blue
    1997 Trans Am LT1

im fairly certain im going to end up with a c6 z before its all said and done, i figure ill start hunting here in march. Id like an 08 Jetstream or Cyber Grey but i have a feeling its gonna be out of my price range. Ill probably stick with Daytona Orange or Yellow 06-07. As my buddy put it "hell go in debt on a zr1, youll kill yourself before you ever pay it off so its all good" lol. But in all seriousness I cant see the point in buying a base model when i could have a Z for a little more money.

2011 Prius

Quote Originally Posted by MaxPlusTen View Post
    im fairly certain im going to end up with a c6 z before its all said and done, i figure ill start hunting here in march. Id like an 08 Jetstream or Cyber Grey but i have a feeling its gonna be out of my price range. Ill probably stick with Daytona Orange or Yellow 06-07. As my buddy put it "hell go in debt on a zr1, youll kill yourself before you ever pay it off so its all good" lol. But in all seriousness I cant see the point in buying a base model when i could have a Z for a little more money.
    Yep, but my local dealer was giving away last year models Corvette's... They are a small dealer, but 1/4 of there lots was Corvette's. They took $8,000-10,000 off the base model Vettes. So you may be able to find a dealer doing that. Then to me, that's worth it. Because it's new and would be a dream to drive a new Vette off the lot. Also, you nailed one cheaper then a 5th gen.

Silver
    2005 Toyota Corolla (DD)

Barring looks (I prefer the C6 headlights vs. the pop-up headlights, which I feel are very dated), which is a better buy? C5Z or C6? Seems like around here C5Zs are typically 18-22k or thereabouts, and isn't the HP about the same?

I've got friends at work that have owned/ driven both and the guy with the C6 said his friend's C5Z feels like i pulls harder.

2011 Prius

Quote Originally Posted by Detroit Power View Post
    Barring looks (I prefer the C6 headlights vs. the pop-up headlights, which I feel are very dated), which is a better buy? C5Z or C6? Seems like around here C5Zs are typically 18-22k or thereabouts, and isn't the HP about the same?

I've got friends at work that have owned/ driven both and the guy with the C6 said his friend's C5Z feels like i pulls harder.
    C6Z51 is so post to be just like a C5Z06, but the C6 is a nicer daily... But I would go with w C5z, but the C6 maybe be easier to finance... For me it's easier to finance a new car then a used car.

Medium Quazar Blue
    1997 Trans Am LT1

im talking C6 Z06... not messing with a C5, been around enough of them to know i dont want the headache... there great cars but not what im looking for... i want reliable horsepower

2011 Prius

Quote Originally Posted by MaxPlusTen View Post
    im talking C6 Z06... not messing with a C5, been around enough of them to know i dont want the headache... there great cars but not what im looking for... i want reliable horsepower
    Allot don't have that option, but why is the C5 not reliable horsepower?

99 Z28 04 Corvette

wait.. what year z06s are we talkin about? 405 hp isnt that much.. my c5 would crush it for sure. I mean, if youre talking brand new z06. why even compare? thats a huge price difference.
    Idk but any z06 would be better than that camaro IMO.
    Last edited by 1986camarojoe; 01-23-2010 at 01:32 AM.

Thread Information