Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

pewter
    1999 corvette

lt-4 corvette performance

I am thinking of buying a 96 lt-4 corvette (more than likely a collectors edition) and I was wondering about the performance vs an ls1 f-body and if anyone has one. I was wondering about the performance parts vs stock performance. Please help.

HUNTER S. THOMPSON FAN Raoul-Duke's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by kosovobandit
    I am thinking of buying a 96 lt-4 corvette (more than likely a collectors edition) and I was wondering about the performance vs an ls1 f-body and if anyone has one. I was wondering about the performance parts vs stock performance. Please help.
    honestly man i think that the lt4 vettes have got an advantage over ls1's...hmm... i never thought of that

Red
    1997 Camaro SS

They are very close in performance. The LS1 cars are a little lighter so that helps them. You get opinions both ways so I would say they are very close in performance.

97SSM6

Quote Originally Posted by kosovobandit
    First, don't bother getting a "collectors edition" if you plan on running her that way... there are plenty of non-collectible Corvette's out there that are ripe for the picking. Also, the LT4 is overrated, in my opinion. I've met so many Corvette owners who swapped from their semi-worked LT1's, to the GM LT4 package, and weren't too impressed.

But, if you're heart is set on the LT4... and if memory serves me well, I believe all manual 1996 Corvette's came with that particular engine. Good luck with whichever route you take.
    Last edited by Street Lethal; 03-18-2006 at 02:32 PM.

black
    97 6-speed corvette

The LT4 was rated at 330 hp, standard motor was 300hp. The car was heavy (for a vette) at 3298lbs. I almost bought one, I left the dealer to go to another dealer to test drive an automatic version (only 300hp), then went back to buy the LT4 only to see them putting temp. tags on it and the new owner drive off. Sure buy it, it will be the same performance as the LS1 but it will be a vette (worth more down the road) The collectors edition is easily modded as any car except parts cost more. Off topic...the dealer gave me a 96 auto collectors edition overnight to test drive... had fun with that car.

Pewter
    01 Ws6

I had a 94 Lt1 vette.. with a straight through dual exhuast( No cats) Performance K&N intake and a hypertech chip. It was the most fun i have ever had it ran like a champ 80K on the clock. note. i was into drifting when i bought it in 00.. i eventually drifted into a curb.. but i often wondered how well an Lt4 would respond to light mods.. the intake exhaust and chip woke that car up big time. So i'd imagine the Lt4 would respond nicely to bolt on mods. and its a high torque motor down low so its usable power.. C4's are a bargain performance buy. but i'd check.. they ask more for a Lt4 C4.. so a 97 ls1 C5 might be a better buy.. Just my .02c

HUNTER S. THOMPSON FAN Raoul-Duke's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by JS02
    They are very close in performance. The LS1 cars are a little lighter so that helps them. You get opinions both ways so I would say they are very close in performance.

97SSM6
    LIGHTER???.....REALLY???... I THINK THE VETTE IS STILL LIGHTER, DONT LS1 F BODYS WEIGH ROUND 3300 LBS

pewter
    1999 corvette

if I am not mistaken my friend had a 2000 6spd WS6 and it weighed in at around 3300 to 3400lbs. I had an 92 6spd vette then a 93 fox body coupe and they were both lighter than his T/A.

2007 GMC Sierra Duramax

I've never driven or raced one, but there are a lot of internet claims of high 12's to very low 13's.

I remember reading a magazine article comparing a 95' M6 LT1 to a 96' LT4 and the LT4 ran 12.90's to the LT1's 13.40's.

Can anyone help me out on this? I'am look at a 1996 corvette . the owner said it's a lt-4 how can I tell by the vin. numbers.

Cyclone Grey Metallic
    2006 GTO

Quote Originally Posted by _JB_ View Post
    Can anyone help me out on this? I'am look at a 1996 corvette . the owner said it's a lt-4 how can I tell by the vin. numbers.
    You don't need the VIN # because in 1996 ALL 6 speed Corvettes got the LT4. All automatics got the LT1, and 1996 is the only year for the LT4 in a Corvette.

03 Terminator

also a red intake manifold

Jet Stream Blue
    2009 Lingenfelter ZR1

Quote Originally Posted by LS1Power06 View Post
    also a red intake manifold
    And black composite valve covers too. I myself would get a C5 if your looking for performance, The GS is probably the only 96 that will hold any collector value. If the 96 is really what you want though, buy it!
    2009 JSB Lingenfelter ZR1

Quote Originally Posted by BlownC5 View Post
    I myself would get a C5 if your looking for performance...
    I would even consider a C4 w/LT1 over any LT4, especially if your looking to thrash on it a little. Stock LT1 heads can be improved upon greatly, and today's camshaft technology make the Hot Cam's seem pre-historic...

My vote, save yourself some money, and pick up a nice, stock, '95 Corvette w/6-speed. Enjoy it, and in time, work the stock heads, upgrade to a TR camshaft, port the throttle body, intake... and get yourself a proper tune. I think you'll be much more happier, unless your specifically looking for a collectible like the GS (which in my opinion, sadly can't be enjoyed as much)...

Good luck!

pewter
    1999 corvette

I have had both an Lt1 6spd and an LS1 6spd. I would go with the c5 hands down. I enjoy it much better than the C4. The C4 is a great car, but the C5 is tons better.

pewter
    2000 lingenfelter 383

lt4 collectors edition corvette- value and performance vs ls1

i own a 1996 collectors edition lt4 corvette, that being said what i say is based upon fact not fiction. with basic improvments such as 4:10 gears and a zz9 cam - no lope, passes emmissions, a corsa cat back.. the car will run mid 12's at 113-114 on street tires, not sticky dots, not slicks. bolt on some drag radials and with a 3500 rpm launch you will post 12:30-40's depending on your shift technique. a collectors edition with lt4 will ALWAYS command a premium vs all other lt1's made due to the limited production numbers. currently on corvette forum there is another member with the exact same set up that last week ran 12:0's. he posts the video, slip everything. i belive you will be hard pressed to find a ls1 that can be bought for mid teens that can compete or perform or have the resale value of the 1996 collectors edition lt4.

btw i just bought a lingenfelter c5 383 so my lt4 is up for sale. if you want pictures they can be found at vettehound search word lt4. price is flexible due to winter months- mid to low 15's and its yours. if you wish to talk my cell is 401 935 8035

http://www.vettehound.com/geo/classi...php?a=2&b=5523

I just bought a Lingenfelter Corvette so my beautiful 96 c/e lt4 must go. The car runs 100% perfect, Interior is 100% like new- no damage to seats, or bolsters. Exterior is a 9 on a scale of 10. Very nice for a 11 year old car. Meticulously cared for and maintained. Modifications were done to enhance the cars overall handling and performance with out sacrificing ride quality or reliability. They are as follows: (i have all stock parts) ZZ9 cam 4:10 gears Corsa Cat back exhaust-sounds amazing! C5- z06 brake upgrade Hurst Shifter ASFB Targa Bar- the best thing you can buy for a c4 Blue Acrylic top- with custom removable inside shade cover PCM Tune TB bypass K&N Open Filter R&D Camber Brace R&D Cross Frame R&D Cross Bar w/ harness R&D fire extinguisher seat mount- removes with a click VBP 30 mm front sway bar VBP 26 mm rear sway bar Polyurethane bushings around Airfoil in throttle body. add it up you have over 6,000 in tastefull upgrades that make this car handle and perform as it should when it left KY. Please call me with any questions i need to sell this car as my Lingenfelter 383 is here next week.
    Corvette for Sale Information
    Year: 1996
    Mileage: 53000
    Body Type: 2 door
    Exterior Color: silver
    Interior Color: silver-gray-black
    Transmission: 6 speed stick
    Horsepower: 350
    Modifications: read below
    Phone: 401 935 8035
    City: east greenwich
    Price: 16,500 b/o
    State/Zip Code: United States Rhode Island 02818

black
    2002 firehawk 94 Z28

this has been a great thread i really dont know much about the early to mid 90's vettes. whats a gs ?

pewter
    2000 lingenfelter 383

"gs"= 1996 Grand Sport Corvette- blue exterior/ white fender strips/ limited production about 1000

black
    2002 firehawk 94 Z28

oh yea ive seen pics of those.

Green
    96Corvette

I have a 96 Corvette convertible 6sp with the LT4 GS engine I was considering putting a supercharger on it and wondering if anyone has done this or any comments about it

Thread Information