Thread: Headers

Both are Black on Black
    2000 SS, 2001 Z06

Headers

I am looking to buy some new headers for my '01 Z06 and was wondering what kind of power gains I can expect. I am looking at longtube but am curious about power gains for shorty headers too.

Jetstream Blue Metallic
    2008 Z06 Corvette

I dropped a brand new LS6 crate engine into my [at the time] 2001 SS Camaro and decided to mod it before putting it into the car. So on went the LT headers in addition to many other mod parts. Come to find out that LT headers alone with the proper free flowing exhaust system to support it of course is good for a REALISTIC rear wheel horse power gain of approx. 18 to 20. (High flo cats included)
    The "shorty" headers aren't worth your time or money according to my tuner/ Dyno guy who has seen too many cars to count do the before and after on his shop's dyno with the shorties.
    One last note is that of course the Camaros are limited by their exhaust system's Y pipe and even though mine was a healthy 3" all the way back, you could see a bit more due to your Vette's less restrictive exhaust, but don't count on much more.
    Don't believe Manufacter's advertising claims either...most are BS. Especially SLP which ironically is who I purchased most of my products from, through one of our sponser's here.

Jet Stream Blue
    2009 Lingenfelter ZR1

15-20 depending on supporting mods

Both are Black on Black
    2000 SS, 2001 Z06

The only mod I have is a CAI/Ram Air thing...not sure what it is because it was there when I bought the car.

red
    2000 camaro ss

need to get that factory cam outta that '01. LT's w/ fact '01 cam will yield substantial gains, no doubt. but to be honest if you are only gonna do one mod i'd do a cam swap. big gains are to be had. but i digress. . . .you will net close to 0 gain from shorty's. . . .fact LS manifolds ARE shorty's. LT's are the only way to go even if they weren't. . .

Jetstream Blue Metallic
    2008 Z06 Corvette

Your CAI is a good start, because you ultimately want to free up both sides of the combustion chamber. You have the intake side done, and you are now looking to complete the exhaust side, these are good starting points for any normally aspirated car. If you decide to take it further, a cam would be a logical next step.
    But those are not easy to decide on, and if you new to all this, seeking advice is suggested. Strenghtening the valve train is advisable while you're at it...i.e. double roller timing chain perhaps in addition to stronger pushrods, etc...the list is endless.
    Before you get bit too hard with the Mod Bug, I'd go over the car with a fine tooth comb, seeing as you bought it used. If it's a manual, what condition is the clutch in? Is it beginning to slip? If it's an Auto, how long since it's been serviced? A good 4 wheel alignment runs about $90.00 but worth every dollar. None of these things are "fun" to do, but better to start with these things and get them out of the way and then you can pour your hard earned $$$ into mods.
    Nothing worse than building additonal horsepower and then having a car that won't suppport them.
    Just my 2 cents...

Millennium Yellow
    '02 Corvette

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Hyde View Post
    Your CAI is a good start, because you ultimately want to free up both sides of the combustion chamber. You have the intake side done, and you are now looking to complete the exhaust side, these are good starting points for any normally aspirated car. If you decide to take it further, a cam would be a logical next step.
    But those are not easy to decide on, and if you new to all this, seeking advice is suggested. Strenghtening the valve train is advisable while you're at it...i.e. double roller timing chain perhaps in addition to stronger pushrods, etc...the list is endless.
    Before you get bit too hard with the Mod Bug, I'd go over the car with a fine tooth comb, seeing as you bought it used. If it's a manual, what condition is the clutch in? Is it beginning to slip? If it's an Auto, how long since it's been serviced? A good 4 wheel alignment runs about $90.00 but worth every dollar. None of these things are "fun" to do, but better to start with these things and get them out of the way and then you can pour your hard earned $$$ into mods.
    Nothing worse than building additonal horsepower and then having a car that won't suppport them.
    Just my 2 cents...
    He said it was a Z06 so it would have to be a manual. Dont know of too many automatic Z06's.

I wouldnt do a cam swap until you have done headers and a x-pipe. You wont get the full potential out of either one without the other but its usually always best to do a full exhaust and CAI before you do heads, cam, supercharger, etc. Just with what you have and adding headers and a x-pipe, you could get about 10-15hp out of it with a tune. Once you get a cam and heads, then you would get more out of your headers. That is if they are 3" all the way back. I went with LG Pro headers which are a 3" header all the way back, including the x-pipe, until it gets to my mufflers. I dont know if you are a member of the Corvette Forum but you should go on there and see what everyone is doing. A lot of good info. on that forum.

red
    2000 camaro ss

there's more power to be had w/ a cam swap than any single bolt-on for the '01's.

Jetstream Blue Metallic
    2008 Z06 Corvette

Didn't notice the Z06 part, but I am familiar with the fact that they don't come with Auto's...
    < note avatar

Millennium Yellow
    '02 Corvette

Quote Originally Posted by side2000 View Post
    there's more power to be had w/ a cam swap than any single bolt-on for the '01's.
    That is true but you still wont get the full power out of the cam without headers.

Didn't notice the Z06 part, but I am familiar with the fact that they don't come with Auto's...
    < note avatar
    Yes I saw. I envy you cause I want a C6 Z06 very bad.

JetStream Blue
    2008 ZO6 Corvette

Go with long tubes, I put Stainless works 1 7/8 headers on my car.

Jetstream Blue Metallic
    2008 Z06 Corvette

Those are SWEET! How much of a gain did you notice from the seat of the pants? Did you lose any low end grunt? Do you have a pic of the ass end of the car?

Pewter
    2001 Corvette Coupe

A ways back (2003) I did TPIS LT headers, Random Tech high flow cats and tune and dyno'd at 338hp 347.1tq at the rear wheels, I have the dyno chart to prove it. Down the road I added AFR 205 heads and G-5X3 cam and dyno'd at 449.1hp 412.1tq and also have the sheet for that. I have Kooks headers now
    Last edited by bt-01-vette; 01-27-2009 at 04:35 AM.
    768.6hp 724.2tq Forged 346/Paxton SC

JetStream Blue
    2008 ZO6 Corvette

Those are SWEET! How much of a gain did you notice from the seat of the pants? Did you lose any low end grunt? Do you have a pic of the ass end of the car?
    The first sheet is stock 393.3 RWHP 384.9 RWTQ
    the second is Headers and CAI and Headers, CAI a tune.
    Dynojet

JetStream Blue
    2008 ZO6 Corvette

Sorry no pics of the back of the car. Maybe my buddy Mike has some! LOL

Thread Information