pewter
    99 vette

engine build on my vette almost done except.....

So I bought the Trick flow 515hp genx kit for my vette and put it on. I also ordered some kooks 1 7/8" long tubes and a FAST intake. Well I had problems with both. I should have set the headers in when I had the heads off but didn't, even with the starter off I couldnt get it in. It looks like the K-member will have to be dropped in order to install them. So I have bolted up the factory exhaust manifolds for now until I feel like tackling that. Also I purchased a FAST intake. I have to say I am pretty disappointed with this intake so far. When I removed it from the box the the inner throttle body o ring was hanging out he bottom of the intake. It was not inserted all the way before it was bolted together at the factory. I figured if I spend $800 for an intake that is supposedly the best thats what I would receive. Needless to say I was pretty pissed. But no biggy I unbolted it and put it back together. Another thing that dissappointed me about it was the map sensor I beleive it is (could be wrong about it) but the one that goes on the back of the intake fits very loosely in it. Also there is a vacum line that I removed from the factory intake that does not reach the FAST intake. Aside from that I tried to bolt it down and it appears to be hitting the rear firewall, which Im assuming is bad because it will rub when the engine rocks. I simply wasnt able to get it to seat on top of the heads also. So I read the instructions and step 1 reads. Replace the valley cover bolts (PROVIDED) if you do not and you attempt to tighten the intake down you will damage the intake. Well the intake came with NO such valley bolts claimed to be provided in the instructions. So to make a long story short I am running the stock ls1 intake and exhaust manifolds on an engine with trick flow heads, and a cam in it. Sucks! Wouldn't be a big deal if I were in the states but considering I am in Germany It takes forever for me to get parts. I havent completley installed the stock intake yet but I should have it finished tommorow and hopefully running. I am assuming it will still run way stronger than before but I know its being held back a lot with the fatory manifolds and intake on it. Anybody running a FAST on there vette run into the same issues as me?

98 Formula
    06 duramax

sorry to hear about the issues.....that's kinda how it goes though when you mod cars. Never goes like it should.
    THIS should help you on the header install.
    As far as the small vacuum line you can extend it with a male to male 1/4" adapter and a section of 1/4" fuel line.
    I know LPE makes a map relocation kit for the LS2's that relocates the map (part number L200050105). You could try that or use some hose to extend that port off to the side and mount the map sensor to the hose.

What company / dealer outlet / site did you use that boned you ?

Black
    1999 TA WS.6

I had similar problems with FAST. No valley bolts included. The MAP sensor is also very poorly designed. I don't know why they didn't make it like the stock intake, with something the sensor to "clip into". I installed my sensor while the intake was out, and clocked it the correct direction prior to install. I used a healthy amount of silicon to keep it in place. It been in there for nearly two years, and I have taken the intake off a few times since. Call fast, they have the bolt sizes/pitch etc. When I installed mine, I actually took all the bolt heads to a bench grinder and lowered the head enough. That worked well. I replaced later on with the correct bolts.

Sorry to hear about your problems.
    370 CI - Twin 6766 Turbo - Jakes stage 5 4L80E - MWC 9" - Holley Dominator

Build in progress...

pewter
    99 vette

Texas Speed sold me everything except the trick flow head and cam kit, I called them and told them about my problems about the FAST intake and they were helpful and are sending me the valley bolts as soon as they receive them from FAST.

Thread Information