Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Millenium Yellow
    2002 Coupe

Thumbs up Drag Strip results

Hey guys..Well I went back to the strip last night after installing a set of TSP headers, off road x-pipe, Vararam CAI and a Diablo tune and I ran a 12.51 @ 113. 60' time was a 1.96. Is this a good time to be expected with t?these mods? I still have a 3.42 rear gear to put in and what would the expectations be on time with this mod?

Thanks,
    Tim

torch red
    99 c5

with my 99 corvette. shorty tri flo headers, tri flo cat back system, twin flo air intake, 3.42 gears i went 12.8's at 112, my computer was tuned at tts power systems in cali

Millenium Yellow
    2002 Coupe

C5andtyphoon, Wow I wonder why the difference in times between yours and mine? Could it be the long tube headers or the tune maybe? I did a custom tune with the Diablo instead of theirs because they tuned everything to run rich as hell! I'm hoping to be 12.1 or 12.2 with the 3.42 swap if possible and thats with street tires still..

torch red
    99 c5

i hear that the shortys are pretty much good for nothing. the long tube prolly made a huge difference. I was also spinning my tires pretty good. auto trans???

Millenium Yellow
    2002 Coupe

Yeah I have an auto. Not once have I spun the tires off the line and I run 35 lbs of air in them also. I'm looking to swap an 02 Z06 rear gear (3.42) in there this weekend so I'm sure I'll have traction problems now. What part of Illinois you from? I moved from Tinley Park down to Houston 5 years ago and wish I was back there already.

yellow
    02 vette

Good run Tim! Under 2.0 60' on the stock T/C is impressive. Wait till you get some gears.

Millenium Yellow
    2002 Coupe

Thanks Nuck..I was thinking I was going to do a rear end gear swap this weekend but after thinking about it I might as well do a T/C change at the same time. I beleive I'm going to go with a yank SC3600.

yellow
    02 vette

Quote Originally Posted by tims02 View Post
    Thanks Nuck..I was thinking I was going to do a rear end gear swap this weekend but after thinking about it I might as well do a T/C change at the same time. I beleive I'm going to go with a yank SC3600.
    Are you still considering a s/c? Once you get around a 12.0 you start to get near the limits of street rubber, esp with the high stall. Here is a link to an
    LS1 I was looking at buying last year. http://forums.corvetteforum.com/show....php?t=1668225
    Look at the mods he has to reach 390rwhp. A decent driver will have that car running high 11s all day long on street rubber. Once you get much past 400rwhp it is skill at hooking the tires up rather than brute power that determines how quick. With my new tune I hope to be around 490rwhp but I suspect I might not be any quicker than you would be with 400rwhp so maybe you don't need that blower after all. What kind of back rubber are you on?

Millenium Yellow
    2002 Coupe

Nuck..It looks like I'm lacking the ported TB, ported Oil Pump, cam, dbl roller timing chain and underdrive pulley. Do you need the ported TB and ported oil pump for the cam swap? I'm running Kumho ECSTA stock tires on my vette. I would love to run high 11's on motor alone! I'm probably not going to get a s/c but I might think about running some N2O. Probably 100 shot from 2nd to 3rd shift just to make sure traction isn't a problem. What do you think?

Millenium Yellow
    2002 Coupe

I'm also thinking of running the TSP Torquer V.3 cam which is .603/.609 on a 113 LSA and their Springs and Titanium retainers package.

yellow
    02 vette

Hi Tim. No you do not need the ported TB or oil pump upgrade for a cam swap. The UDP and timing chain are just nice things to do while you are in there already. Not sure about the cam choice for an auto. I assume this was a recommended grind with the T/C and gear choice?

Millenium Yellow
    2002 Coupe

I see your point with the UDP and the timing chain. The cam choice was something I was looking at on the TSP website. What do ya think I shlould run with the auto trans?

torch red
    99 c5

currently i'm running a 408 stroker motor making 440 rwhp with a crappy lingenfelter intake manifold and shorty headers. I'm also running a 250 shot of nitrous , we will see how i do. I went with a yank 3200 stall converter. i cannot leave the line AT ALL bringing the r.p.ms up if i just gas it from the line i get some spin. but leaving anything about 1000 rpms is instant tire spin.. i'm running a 305 30 nitto tire.

torch red
    99 c5

p.s i'm from kankakee area.. all my buddies are from around tinley park, 171'st and tamar lane. and a few near 159th and harlem

yellow
    02 vette

The rule of thumb for stock heads is keep lift under .600. They don't breath enough to take full advantage all the way up. I am not an a/t guy and my driving habits likely aren't the same as yours but I like the 228R. Makes strong power to just over 6000rpm and won't make the car a pig with the auto and a t/c for just driving around. The V2 595/598 at most which will pull more at high rpms but which will be a little dead below 2500.

Your car right now is noisy but with the addition of gears you haven't affected her road manners away from the track. With a t/c and cam that changes and since you probably spend most of your time not racing you need to decide how much of the old cars drivability you want to lose. Accellerating out of corners and any other regular driving situation the 228r is more of a dd cam. I think the V2 requires the t/c where to 228r does not so that tells you what happens to your low rpm. The 228r is more of a roadcourse cam which fits more with what Vettes are designed for, as opposed to a drag car, but it still has a huge edge over stock and guys with exhaust and heads are making well over 400rwhp.

I wouldn't touch the V3 myself. The V2 and 228r are popular grinds. I imagine a lot of people on this board had to decide between the two. You might want to run a search or start another thread of your own woth the camgrind topic.

Millenium Yellow
    2002 Coupe

C5andtyphoon..I was from 167th and 80th Ave..What a small world..My parents are from the same area..Do you go to Rt 66 at all? My family owns a 53 Pro Mod Corvette tha runs all the Top Sportsmans races there. They will actually be racing there next weekend. It's a Tim McCamis chassis with an 811 cubic inch Big Block N/A. THe best time to date was a 6.76 at 232 mph. The 60' time was .985 Talking about moving! If you get a chance to make it out there you'd like it.

Millenium Yellow
    2002 Coupe

Nuck...Who makes the 228R cam? I like the way that sounds.

yellow
    02 vette

2000 Corvette

Great times, best I could muster with my 6 speed was 12.8 @ 113. This was with cam, headers but runflats, 2.1 60 if I remember correctly. Supercharged now but need a tune, no track times yet.
    2000 C5 Corvette - Car is hurt What can I do with limited funds........

Jet Stream Blue
    2009 Lingenfelter ZR1

Thats not bad! I'd get a good quality torque convertor and you'll be knocking on 11s with good traction and the 3.42 gears.

Thread Information