Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Corvette/LS1 Q

Corvette/LS1 Q

I hear many people say an ls1 powered camaro/bird will dyno a tad bit higher than the same engine vette. Can someone please explain if there is any truth to this. I would assume it has something to do with the rear susp. /

Jetstream Blue Metallic
    2008 Z06 Corvette

I've never heard this argument before, but I would assume it had more to do with the transmission than the rear end. If the Vette in question was an Auto vs. a Manual Camaro (F-Body) than the readings would favor the F-Body due to less loss through the drivetrain.

white
    2000 Z28

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Hyde View Post
    I've never heard this argument before, but I would assume it had more to do with the transmission than the rear end. If the Vette in question was an Auto vs. a Manual Camaro (F-Body) than the readings would favor the F-Body due to less loss through the drivetrain.
    i read multiple times that the irs takes up a bit more power than a ten bolt. when same tranny is compared. never saw any facts backing it up though.

On your ass flashing
    my highbeams

Quote Originally Posted by 00z28bubba View Post
    i read multiple times that the irs takes up a bit more power than a ten bolt. when same tranny is compared. never saw any facts backing it up though.
    the irs^

Arctic White, red/gray
    1997 Corvette, 92 Typhoon

The vettes have better stock exhaust, so that would probably make up the little difference, either way its like 5hp and the vette is lighter with more free flowing exhaust.

blacker than wesleysnipes
    98' trans am

Quote Originally Posted by Zinergy View Post
    The vettes have better stock exhaust, so that would probably make up the little difference, either way its like 5hp and the vette is lighter with more free flowing exhaust.
    how light the car is effects the engine's dyno numbers how ?

i kind of agree with the exhaust..but really a stock exhaust is a stock exhaust..so the lose through the irs is "taken" care of ..but then you have transmission, gearing and differences in dynos and build tolerances and build components in the ls1 itself

so to the OP...basically it is under the right circumstances with several variables being right..a f-body can dyno higher

Arctic White, red/gray
    1997 Corvette, 92 Typhoon

Quote Originally Posted by shady milkman View Post

i kind of agree with the exhaust..but really a stock exhaust is a stock exhaust..so the lose through the irs is "taken" care of ..but then you have transmission, gearing and differences in dynos and build tolerances and build components in the ls1 itself

so to the OP...basically it is under the right circumstances with several variables being right..a f-body can dyno higher

No weight doesnt change dyno numbers, unless of course its the type of dyno that asks for weight so it can predict the load. But weight does effect 1/4mile times and trap speed and who cares about dyno nubmers sicne its all really about times not numbers.

Ls1 corvettes have the same tranny and rear end gearing.

Quote Originally Posted by shady milkman View Post

True. I saw an article on here before. 98 f body vs a 98 vette. I believe the vette dynoed 289 and the f body 293. Both sure. Seems like both are 350bhp motors with a 12 percent loss.

Le Mans Blue
    2004 Z16

The Vette's rear-mounted tranny, heavier rim/tire combo and IRS will eat up more rwhp. Comparable year/tranny combos will yield similar rwhp numbers for the LS1 F-bodys and Y-bodys.

Pewter
    2000 Z28 Camaro

This is irrelevant..who keeps a car stock?

Quote Originally Posted by allbaugh_04 View Post
    This is irrelevant..who keeps a car stock?
    All i got is lid and cat back.

Jetstream Blue Metallic
    2008 Z06 Corvette

All I've done (engine wise) is a CA and Cat-back too. But still...it's not stock.

Red
    02 Z06

Think it might also be GM wanting to rate the hp higher in the Vette since it is the flagship and costs more.

98' trans am

Quote Originally Posted by geoffl View Post
    Think it might also be GM wanting to rate the hp higher in the Vette since it is the flagship and costs more.
    you are right sir.

Black
    1999 Trans Am

Quote Originally Posted by Zinergy View Post

Ls1 corvettes have the same tranny and rear end gearing.
    Doesn't the vette have a torque-tube tranny? Also my uncles 01 vette is geared different than my T/A, from the way I understand it the vette is geared for mid-high end grunt and F-body's are geared for low-mid end grunt. Or am I misinformed?

On your ass flashing
    my highbeams

Quote Originally Posted by HOBS View Post
    Doesn't the vette have a torque-tube tranny? Also my uncles 01 vette is geared different than my T/A, from the way I understand it the vette is geared for mid-high end grunt and F-body's are geared for low-mid end grunt. Or am I misinformed?
    auto vette 3.08 gears, auto f-body 3.23's
    No different cam or anything gm just didn't want corvette owners to get pissy.

Jetstream Blue Metallic
    2008 Z06 Corvette

Even if the power ratings were exactly the same, GM makes sure that their top brand Corvette will always outperform the FBody.
    A little thing called "Power to weight ratio"
    My Z06 and the ZR1 has some of the best power to weight ratios in the Supercar arena.
    Here's an example:
    Honda's S2000 weighs in at approx. 2864lbs. depending on the year etc...with an approx. 250hp engine, I'm being generous, it's a bit less.
    The Z06 comes to the scale with approx. 3180lbs. again depending on the year of the car, some C5's are lighter still, but I'm concentrating on the C6 right now. But with over TWICE [505hp] the horsepower!
    A differance of about 315 lbs. (two small passengers)
    Carbon fiber fenders, fiberglass body, Balsa wood floors, aluminum frame, etc...you get what you pay for with a Corvette.
    So it is expected that it should outperform any other car GM makes, or all Corvette owners would be considered fools...pissy or not.

98' trans am

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Hyde View Post
    Even if the power ratings were exactly the same, GM makes sure that their top brand Corvette will always outperform the FBody.
    A little thing called "Power to weight ratio"
    My Z06 and the ZR1 has some of the best power to weight ratios in the Supercar arena.
    Here's an example:
    Honda's S2000 weighs in at approx. 2864lbs. depending on the year etc...with an approx. 250hp engine, I'm being generous, it's a bit less.
    The Z06 comes to the scale with approx. 3180lbs. again depending on the year of the car, some C5's are lighter still, but I'm concentrating on the C6 right now. But with over TWICE [505hp] the horsepower!
    A differance of about 315 lbs. (two small passengers)
    Carbon fiber fenders, fiberglass body, Balsa wood floors, aluminum frame, etc...you get what you pay for with a Corvette.
    So it is expected that it should outperform any other car GM makes, or all Corvette owners would be considered fools...pissy or not.
    this is true...the car itself as a whole will always out perform any other gm car..i think we are talking engine vs engine

Le Mans Blue
    2004 Z16

Quote Originally Posted by c5z28 View Post
    auto vette 3.08 gears, auto f-body 3.23's
    No different cam or anything gm just didn't want corvette owners to get pissy.
    Corvette A4- 2.73 or 3.15 gears

Corvettes did get a different cam up until 2001, but the specs were pretty damn close.

Le Mans Blue
    2004 Z16

Quote Originally Posted by HOBS View Post
    Corvettes have a rear-mount tranny with a torque-tube. The gearing is the same for the M6 Corvette vs. M6 F-body (3.42 rear), but differs for the A4 "performance ratio", which is 3.15 for the Vette, 3.23 for the F-body. Both "regular" A4s got 2.73 rear gears...

Thread Information