Thread: colum lock?

Black
    2002 Corvette Z06

colum lock?

Ok this is my first post and i'm sorry it has to do with a problem i have with my car. Today i get in to go to lunch and the steering colum is locked and the car is telling me to service it, just before it tells me this it said pull key and wait 10sec. Has this happened to anybody and how was it fixed?

White
    1995 Z28

Avus Silver
    2007 Audi RS4

Quote Originally Posted by ScottZlt1 View Post
    Ok this is my first post and i'm sorry it has to do with a problem i have with my car. Today i get in to go to lunch and the steering colum is locked and the car is telling me to service it, just before it tells me this it said pull key and wait 10sec. Has this happened to anybody and how was it fixed?
    Once it happens, it won't go away
    I've had this happened to me a few times. Sometimes the 10 seconds pull key and wait approach has worked, other times I have to jerk the steering wheel with the key in the ON position to get it to release the locking pin

There are two ways to get this fixed:
    1- take it to the dealer. There's a bulleting service recall where they will take care of it for free. I believe this process involves reflashing your PCM

2-Buy the CL by-pass kit. This only costs ~$50.00 and it's a do-it-yourself type deal

http://www.ls1howto.com/index.php?article=24

http://www.corvettesofhouston.com/pr...products_id=54

Good reading on this link...

http://forums.corvetteforum.com/show...483&forum_id=1

Black
    2000 Corvette

mine was already serviced for the recall (previous owner) and it happened to me a couple times last year (hasn't happened since) having the key in the ON and jerking the wheel hard seemed to release it..

Black
    2002 Corvette Z06

THANK YOU for the help. I have it the dealer right now i had no idea what the heck was going on with the car i've only had it 3 weeks

Black
    2000 Corvette

ya i was freaked out cause that happened in my garage.. thought they would have to come drag it out and tow it to the dealer, once you get a feel for having to "unlock" it won't be so bad.. or maybe they'll actually fix yours since its a newer model

Avus Silver
    2007 Audi RS4

Quote Originally Posted by cruzc5frc View Post
    mine was already serviced for the recall (previous owner) and it happened to me a couple times last year (hasn't happened since) having the key in the ON and jerking the wheel hard seemed to release it..
    One of the things I've heard is that despite the Technical Service Bulletin (recall) fix, is people having the problem come back. Mine hasn't done it over a year now, but I do get the "service column lock" warning all the time
    One thing I do is never to park the car with the steering turned. I always park the car with the wheels straight

yellow
    02 vette

Quote Originally Posted by Z06-Goose View Post
    One of the things I've heard is that despite the Technical Service Bulletin (recall) fix, is people having the problem come back. Mine hasn't done it over a year now, but I do get the "service column lock" warning all the time
    One thing I do is never to park the car with the steering turned. I always park the car with the wheels straight
    I had the recall done 2 months ago and got the column lock and fuel cut last week. The dealer fix does not seem to be a lomg term solution. I had my dyno guy remove the ful cut with his HP Tuners but the error message is still there.

Thread Information