Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

red
    1998 z28

Chevy Corvette ZR1 vs Nissan GT-R

Chevy Corvette ZR1 vs Nissan GT-R although the GTR is a top notch performer it is no match for the ZR1.

BLACK
    2000 Camaro SS

ZR-1: 638 bhp to 505 rwhp is more than a 20% loss. Is that typical for vettes?

Jet Stream Blue
    2009 Lingenfelter ZR1

Quote Originally Posted by mbrownin View Post
    ZR-1: 638 bhp to 505 rwhp is more than a 20% loss. Is that typical for vettes?
    I think they were on a Mustang dyno. Those dynos show lower numbers than a dynojet.

SGM
    1998 Trans Am WS6

ZR1 OWNS the Nissan GTR.

So much for Nissan's "unbeatable cupercar"

Jetstream Blue Metallic
    2008 Z06 Corvette

I drove my Z06 over to my local Nissan dealership to take a look at a new GT-R.
    They didn't have one in stock but I had a chance to talk to the salesrep. Those guys are so fired up about those cars it's beyond stupid!
    I'm happy for Nissan that they have a competative car in the Supercar arena, but this guy was so gung ho that the Nissan could smoke any and all comers.
    I asked him if he ever heard of a little site called Youtube.com?
    There are so many instances of bone stock Z06's completely embarrassing GT-R's from a rolling start, from 60kph from 120kph and so on...
    He shrugged his shoulders, in addition, I said that in my opinion, a true Sports car should be light weight and agile, for instance I said.
    "My Z06 only weighs 315lbs. more than Honda's S2000 but with 505HP! While your Portly Nissan weighs 715lbs. MORE than my Z06 but with only 480HP!" Then I asked him if he was familiar with power to weight ratios.
    At this point he was fairly agitated.
    So I left him with the suggestion to look into the blogs regarding the three GT-R's in Florida with blown transmissions that Nissan refuses to cover under warranty.
    Talk about first year teething pains...OUCH!
    I'll pass on the rice soup, please bring me the American beef!

Jet Stream Blue
    2009 Lingenfelter ZR1

Nice post!

Still The Junior Member RedVertTA's Avatar

Red+White Top and Stripes
    2000TransAmConvertible A4

Well first of, I don't think the GTR could even beat the ZO6, let alone the ZR1.

The vettes a lighter car with a similar power output in the case of the ZO6 and even greater output in the case of the ZR1. The vette will win.

Besides that, the GTR's power comes from turbos, which we all know do not have the throttle response of an N/A engine (ZO6), or a supercharged engine (ZR1). By the time the GTR's turbos spool up a corvette would already be ahead.

The GTR has no chance.

I do however feel this is a poor comparison of vehicles, they are too different. The GTR is a larger car that seats 4, and has more room, so in that sense it has greater utility than the corvette. I think a better comparison would be the fbody which has a similar size body and seats 4.
    FAST 90/90, SLP Lid, Kooks JetHot Coated LT's, American Racing Y-Pipe+Magnaflow Cats, DHM Electric Cutout, Flowmaster American Thunder Catback, HP Tuners Software, 343 rwhp.

BMR Convertible Subframe Connectors, Hotchkis Strut Tower Brace, BMR Driveshaft Safety Loop.

Jetstream Blue Metallic
    2008 Z06 Corvette

Good points. But Nissan has decided to enter the Supercar arena with a 4 seater, so they are going to have to expect to go head to head with a predominatly 2 seater biased marketplace. My guess is that they are attempting to help keep insurance rates lower?
    My earlier post didn't include the salesrep bragging about how the GT-R's engine is hand built with a plate on the inner fender to indicate who built it.
    You can imagine how much fun I had with that one...telling him how GM has been doing that with the LS7 for many years now, and the plate is attached to the intake manifold.
    The sad truth is, and I truly wish that GM would follow suit on this;
    Take one or several Z06's and Nissan their GT-R and have them make the rounds to all their dealerships, to allow their seasoned veteran salesreps drive them. They could use the ones that they allot for magazine testing for instance.
    These guys otherwise would never have the chance to actually drive the cars they are suppossed to sell, and are in love with too!
    The rep I was with on my test drive was begging me to put my foot in it, just so he could finally see what these things could do, as he had never even sat in it. Sad

RED
    02 SS, 03 BMW 745

Good info, dont u love people who think they know everything about a car on paper and think they can translate it to realife? Oh btw Mr. Hyde I like my steak too, medium-rare.

pewter
    02 CAMARO SS

ZR1 did dominate. sounds edmunds didnt do good driving, motortrend got a 0-60 in 3.3 seconds a whole half second thats a lot. I love the end of the video! EAT MY SMOKE GT-R

Jetstream Blue Metallic
    2008 Z06 Corvette

I agree! Kinda gave you the impress that they were saying that the Corvette would "drive circles" around the GT-R.

SGM
    1998 Trans Am WS6

I just love all the claims Nissan was making when the car first came out, that it would be a "world beater" and all the ricers were claiming the GTR R35 was the end all to end all.

Turns out to be the biggest joke in recent automotive history, nothing more than an overpriced, over computerized, 4,000lb Nissan 350Z.

alloy
    2008 GT 500

my buddy just picked one up and with about 500 miles on it he went 11.23, and he has been to the dragstrip maybe once in his life

i didn't think that was too shabby
    Last edited by beefcake; 11-12-2008 at 05:18 PM.

2011 Mustang GT - 9.99@142 - Worlds Fastest Vortech Powered Coyote
    2012 Ford Raptor Crew Cab
    http://www.teambeefcakeracing.com

TA-White, Camaro-Black
    Track-TA98A4 DD-98z28M6

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Hyde View Post
    I agree! Kinda gave you the impress that they were saying that the Corvette would "drive circles" around the GT-R.
    that is the exact impression i got!

SGM
    1998 Trans Am WS6

Quote Originally Posted by beefcake View Post
    my buddy just picked one up and with about 500 miles on it he went 11.23, and he has been to the dragstrip maybe once in his life

i didn't think that was too shabby
    Sounds like he got a ringer.

Most are running high 11's, low 12's at best, with launch control activated.

What was his trap??

alloy
    2008 GT 500

Quote Originally Posted by Wesman View Post
    Sounds like he got a ringer.

Most are running high 11's, low 12's at best, with launch control activated.

What was his trap??
    it was 126mph, that was not in launch mode, he did have a 30hp chip on it he said

TA-White, Camaro-Black
    Track-TA98A4 DD-98z28M6

Quote Originally Posted by beefcake View Post
    it was 126mph, that was not in launch mode, he did have a 30hp chip on it he said
    thats also a good trap speed.. sounds like he got a winner... or maybe the 30 hp was more than 30..

SGM
    1998 Trans Am WS6

Quote Originally Posted by lemons12 View Post
    thats also a good trap speed.. sounds like he got a winner... or maybe the 30 hp was more than 30..
    Definitely.

No stock GTR has ever trapped 126MPH, even with the launch control activated. Sounds like more than just a "30HP chip".

TA-White, Camaro-Black
    Track-TA98A4 DD-98z28M6

Definitely.

No stock GTR has ever trapped 126MPH, even with the launch control activated. Sounds like more than just a "30HP chip".
    +1.. i think 122 is most? or 123???

alloy
    2008 GT 500

Definitely.

i know the guy pretty well and have never known him to b/s, we've raced cars many times,

he's got beemers, gallardos, a 750 hp evo,

we've always raced straight up

Thread Information