Searching...

Can I get some opinions?

Hey all, just have a question about Corvettes and figured this was the best place to ask. I've managed to save a decent amount of money the last couple of years and was looking at purchasing an '07-'09 Z06. My question is however, would it be worth more bang for the buck for performance to go with a cheaper '00-'02 Camaro SS and pour some money into it? I've owned 3 different thirdgen Camaros in the past which have all had different motor combos but I've never owned an LS vehicle. I'm no expert on LS engines or Corvettes, so I figured I'd ask those who were. Thanks in advance for any advice/opinions.

Hard to answer your question since vettes and Fbodies are 2 completely different cars.

I have both a C5Z06 and a 4th gen SS camaro and they are vastly different in many ways.

I think you have to decide first which platform better suites your needs and wants. If you ever need to haul more than 1 person around then a vette is going to be an issue. If you have another car for this, then not a concern. With an Fbody you at least have that option.

Owning both, as far as looks and all around performance go, the C5Z06 is where it's at, and has it all over a 4th gen in all catagories.

If you are looking for something inexpensive and then plan to modify heavily, 4th gen camaros are still great platforms. If you must have a vette, I'm more of a C5 fan and never really got attracted to the newer C6 platform at all. However both have come down in price, with the C5Z06 still considered the best bang for your buck among many enthusiasts. Getting into one of these relatively cheap and then modifying could create a very quick and enjoyable vette for less cash outlay.

Navy Blue Metallic
    98 T/A w/ mods, 00 FBVert

There is really no comparing a Z06 to any Camaro. IMHO I'd pick the Z06 every time with one exception.....Track Car.

Meaning if I was wanting a track only car I'd get the Camaro simply because I could drop as much money into it as I want and not car about the looks. It could be a Pinto and have a blown LSA motor and no one would give 2 cents on the looks.

Z06 on the other hand is meant to be driven. Great on the hwy and for the occasional fun on the side with minimal upgrades needed.

It all comes down to what you want...

What kind of track car? Do you mean road course or drag strip?

The Z06 does well at both, but of course shines best on the road course as that is what it's designed for. However, not a slouch at the strip either. Mine is bone stock still with original rubber and trapped 114 mph already (others have trapped slightly higher). Takes a cam/heads, and many other supporting mods to pull that off in a 4th gen.

I do agree the Z06 is a fantastic road car and drives beautifully. However that's tossed out the window when you have family and luggage. So unfortunately it's not a car I could drive to visit family 10 hours away.

Navy Blue Metallic

I was by no means suggesting the Z06 is lacking at the track. I also meant drag, on AutoX the Z06 is king out the box.

It's just that they have a higher base price to get into one when compared to a F body and ever one knows that F bodies can be modified for 1/3rd to 1/2 less then Vettes.
    I agree infinity that the Vette is always a better car all around.

I also can't say my Trans Am has room for 4 ppl anymore. The back seat would need to be for kids under the age of 12 to fit comfortably. Adults = midgets.

I would love to have a Z06.

We don't necessarily use our 4th gen to haul people, but it's nice to have that option. I've hauled adults in it on several occasions. Once seated it's really not terrible. It's the getting in and out that's challenging.

I can't say the same for the vette when it comes to spacious.

I only mentioned the C5Z06 because it's actually still relatively cheap to get into one. Since he mentioned a C6 and then implied only being able to mod a 4th gen because of the initial price,,,,then why not go for a C5Z06 and use that extra cash (vs a C6) to do some mild mods. Then you can have your vette, modded, and enjoy.

That was what I was trying to get accross..

Navy Blue Metallic

I see.

There's a C5 on a lot down the street from me that they are asking $13,000 for it.

Searching...

Agreed they are vastly different which is why I came here. Personally I love the Z06, both how it looks and everything I've seen on how it performs. I'm not a family man plus I have a daily driver already so no concern there. I do want more than a just a track car, however if I go with the Z06 it will be a while before I can dig into it. So I guess a better question would be coming from a Camaro owner, is it worth the money to upgrade to the Z06? It sounds dumb asking this but I've never driven one so you gotta start somewhere.

Searching...

Hmm also a good point with the C5Z06 Firebirdjones.

Just another option I threw out there that is a great bang for the buck. But if you are set on a C6 then by all means go for it. I mean who wouldn't like a 427...

Jet Stream Blue
    2009 Lingenfelter ZR1

Drive a C6 Z06 once and you will never look back. Good luck on your purchase

Yellow
    2004 Corvette

Can I get some opinions?

yes man Ive driven a few SS' and honestly I'd take a mach 1 or cobra over those. that being said I have a C5 vette and it is unlike any other sports car I've owned. a z06 will be the best car you have ever owned lol the way it handles and the feel is unlike any other. not to mention the head turns

Thread Information