Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: C7 Vette update

Black
    2001 WS6

C7 Vette update

Just picked up this month's edition of motor trend, and appearently the next vette is going to have a split rear window, and some other retro schemes from the 69 era.

Light Pewter Metallic
    y2k 8-cylinder catfish

I'm looking forward to see the final product.

2011 Prius

I'm not... Chevy already has one "Old school" product, give use some modern shit...

Black
    2001 WS6

The only thing that makes me wonder about the retro design, is this, that chevy has always implemented cutting edge design into the corvettes. They always look modern, and the looks always have a purpose, which is why the corvettes are one of the most aerodynamic cars on the road. Throw retro design in there, and that can easily mess all that up if not done right, not to mention, what would a 69ish designed vette look like out on the racetrack? On the other hand, they did do some of that with the c6 vette..the rear fascia, the more roundness of the taillights was from i think the 70s era...

Pewter metallic
    2000 Camaro SS

I am not encouraged by the thoughts of a retro designed C7, I won't condemn it at this point, but it would have to be really impressive I think to get a WOW factor from most Vette enthusiasts.

sold: 1999 firebird
    1998 Trans Am

OH LAWD, have ya'll heard about gm considering a turbo deisel v8 and twin turbo v6 for future vettes?

Black
    2001 WS6

yea but that most likely wont happen because that would move away from the iconic image that the vette is...the front engine v8 gas supercar. just like how they wouldnt go mid engine either.

sold: 1999 firebird
    1998 Trans Am

Quote Originally Posted by Ramairgod84 View Post
    yea but that most likely wont happen because that would move away from the iconic image that the vette is...the front engine v8 gas supercar. just like how they wouldnt go mid engine either.
    i hope not you'd think CAFE would just let the mpg requirements side on the vette so all this fuss could be avoided

especially considering the vettes been around longer than CAFE anyways

Jetstream Blue Metallic
    2008 Z06 Corvette

The C5 and C6 Vettes have a better weight distribution than any mid engined car I've ever seen the specs on. Including this months Road and Track's test of 4 Lambos.
    Why change it? That's why GM placed the tranny in the rear of the car.

blacker than wesleysnipes
    98' trans am

there has always been talk of a v6 TT vette etc..that is nothing new..but it never materializes ....im not worried about CAFE ...the worst that will happen is the vette will get hit with a tax for not being "fuel efficient"

im with most here when i say i think the retro corvette does not sit well ...also quote me on this...dont be surprised if the c7 split window is trashed. ...give me a new design that is very modern...

Black
    2001 WS6

lol It's just what I read that the chairman or whoever said. It's still early yet and im sure anything's up for change. It'd be neat to see what the rest of the car looked like.

Light Pewter Metallic
    y2k 8-cylinder catfish

I'll wait and pass judgement when it comes out.

Black
    2000 Camaro Z28 (sold)

I think the latest design can't be topped if they go retro. The only aspect I think that can make the Vette any better than the latest editions is by increasing horsepower and maybe make it fuel efficent by cutting a few cylinders off when not in full throttle, so the gas guzzler tax can be eliminated. I think they should just stick with the Vette being NA from the factory to compete with the Viper. But really GM doesn't need to change a thing. I've always wanted a Vette, just have never been able to afford one.

98' trans am

Quote Originally Posted by 00LS12LS6Z28 View Post
    I think the latest design can't be topped if they go retro. The only aspect I think that can make the Vette any better than the latest editions is by increasing horsepower and maybe make it fuel efficent by cutting a few cylinders off when not in full throttle, so the gas guzzler tax can be eliminated. I think they should just stick with the Vette being NA from the factory to compete with the Viper. But really GM doesn't need to change a thing. I've always wanted a Vette, just have never been able to afford one.
    problem is that the whole cutting cylinders thing is that DOD requires quite a bit of mastering..and as such GM has yet to get it to work with manuals..and also with the special valvetrain and oiling priorities ..make DOD horrible for a corvete

Black
    2000 Camaro Z28 (sold)

Quote Originally Posted by shady milkman View Post
    problem is that the whole cutting cylinders thing is that DOD requires quite a bit of mastering..and as such GM has yet to get it to work with manuals..and also with the special valvetrain and oiling priorities ..make DOD horrible for a corvete
    Yeah but if the government starts regulating a fuel mileage minimum to meet environment standards for new cars, GM would have to discontinue the Vette. Not in the near future but further down the road. It would be weird to see a Flex Fuel emblem on the back of a Vette.

Phantom Black Metallic
    2006 Pontiac GTO

The Corvette is an icon but it became that by always pushing the boundaries on performance and styling.

I'm actually disappointed that the C7 won't be a mid-engine. It will come eventually and yes it was under research and development for over two years before it got haulted due to the recession. It was only recently scrapped and that was because they can't afford to at the moment.

I think mid-engine would be badass. Yes the current C6 has excellent weight distribution properties that allow it to compete with mid-engine exotics but if it goes that route just think how much better it will be!!

The C7 will be using alot from the C6 with mostly styling changes. GM can't keep producing the same 'vette and expect people to buy new ones when you can find plenty of used ones.

98' trans am

ehhh but the corvette name has certain qualities that always come to mind...and being a front engine rear drive platform is one of them....the M/E design has been in r and d for decades..but never pans through.

Light Pewter Metallic
    y2k 8-cylinder catfish

Mid engine cars have been around for some time now and I do not like the idea of a mid engine Corvette.

Quote Originally Posted by 6.0LiterImportEater View Post
    The Corvette is an icon but it became that by always pushing the boundaries on performance and styling.

I'm actually disappointed that the C7 won't be a mid-engine. It will come eventually and yes it was under research and development for over two years before it got haulted due to the recession. It was only recently scrapped and that was because they can't afford to at the moment.

I think mid-engine would be badass. Yes the current C6 has excellent weight distribution properties that allow it to compete with mid-engine exotics but if it goes that route just think how much better it will be!!

The C7 will be using alot from the C6 with mostly styling changes. GM can't keep producing the same 'vette and expect people to buy new ones when you can find plenty of used ones.

98' trans am

Quote Originally Posted by SiggyZ View Post
    Mid engine cars have been around for some time now and I do not like the idea of a mid engine Corvette.
    it is like a straight 4 or rotary engine powered Corvette ....leaves a bad taste in most peoples mouths..those are just not "corvette"

Light Pewter Metallic
    y2k 8-cylinder catfish

Exactly my point. Corvette is and to me, should always stand for front engine, rear wheel drive.

Quote Originally Posted by shady milkman View Post
    it is like a straight 4 or rotary engine powered Corvette ....leaves a bad taste in most peoples mouths..those are just not "corvette"

Thread Information