Blown, Stroked, & Sprayed

Black
    383 Procharged & N20 Vert

Exclamation C7 Corvette Stingray could get start-stop tech to save fuel

Filed under: Coupe, Performance, Technology, Chevrolet

Chevrolet chose not to include fuel-saving stop-start technology in the 2014 Corvette Stingray package, but future Corvettes may get it as government-mandated fuel economy requirements are raised. To explain why the launch-year model doesn't have the technology, Corvette chief engineer Tadge Juechter simply says, "It is more mass and more cost," Edmunds reports. As sports car enthusiasts, we like the sound of that.

Juechter has them at heart as he relates why stop-start systems aren't valued by Corvette customers: the "real environmental value is zero," he says, and it is perplexing why the "great-sounding engine" should be shut off at every stop. He's got a point, but the reality is that engines use fuel and create smog at idle. "Customers will have to put up with changes from what they traditionally expected in order to get better fuel economy," Juechter says.

Despite eschewing stop-start, the new Corvette's fuel economy reportedly increased by almost 12 percent over the 2013 model. A Stingray equipped with the seven-speed manual transmission is rated at 17 miles per gallon city and 29 highway, which are very good numbers for a sports car with a 6.2-liter V8 and 455 horsepower.C7 Corvette Stingray could get start-stop tech to save fuel originally appeared on Autoblog on Tue, 20 Aug 2013 09:28:00 EST. Please see our terms for use of feeds.
    Permalink | Email this | Comments

More...

BLACK
    1998 PONTIAC TA

No way man!! If you can afford to buy this car, you will just have to pay a gas guzzler tax. I personally LOVE the way my TA sounds with the long tube headers and LOVE to hear to lopey cam idle at red lights. Thats part of the excitement of owning a high powered machine. The sound of it. Don't take that away now. If you want to make this car save fuel, only drive it on nice sunny days or just the weekends. Thats why I also own a cobalt, so 5 days a week I just sip on gas.

Pewter
    2002 Trans Am WS6 M6

I would imagine it would be one of those things people would remove pretty quick after buying.
    Mods - Lid, Skip Shift Eliminator, MGW shifter, UMI SFCs, Founders Lower Control Arms, Founders Panhard Bar, Founders Adj. Torque Arm, UMI Torque arm mount, MWC Drive shaft safety loop, KONI Yellows, Strano Springs, Strano Sway bars, UMI Upper and lower A Arms, 160 thermostat, TSP headers and TSP true duals Monster stage 2 clutch, racetronix fuel pump, Strange S60 rear axle and tune by Frost.

Thread Information