Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: C7 Corvette.

Navy Blue Metallic
    2000 T/A Firehawk M6

C7 Corvette.

I know most of the threads I start in here are about new car development. Happens to be something I'm very into. I love reading about the latest tech to be crammed under the hood and this thread is no different.

But I feel that I need to provide a disclaimer before we get to the business at hand.

If you are a Corvette lover, fan, traditionalist, owner or aspire to own a vette in it's current form..... you may want to click your back button sooner rather than later.

What I have to report to you in this post was not easy for me to read. It feels like blasphemy, heresy.... call it what you will. I just know it left me with many mixed emotions.

On the one hand i say. Wow progress never ceases and i'm sure this will be amazingly executed.

On the other I died a little inside......

Why am I so long winded in this post about the Corvette??? ok let's get to it.

According to a Saab engineer. The Saab devision was tasked with creating a wet clutch transmission capable of handling just shy of 600 lb-ft of torque for the next generation Corvette, the C7.

Ok no big deal right? GM wants to get with the times develop a new gearbox for the next gen vette. tapped an in house division to handle the R&D... who cares?? well... you should. Why would GM need to design a whole new gearbox for a corvette inhouse??? oh yeah... because they didn't want anyone outside the company to know they were developing a mid engine gearbox that's why.

yes my friends according to this saab engineer the C7 will be a mid engine supercar.....

but that's not all.....

those of you still with me might wanna turn away now....

According to autocar, now that the economy is a little better, work on the C7 has resumed and....

it...

will...

be powered by...

a twin turbo V6

GM.... I am dissapoint.

[]D [] []V[] []D
    1999 trans am

if it has power then so be it... the very first corvette (1953) was powered by a 6 cyl (blue flame)...

but like anything you hear on the net it's probably a load of pewp...

Black
    2001 Camaro SS M6

Quote Originally Posted by Spaz View Post
    if it has power then so be it... the very first corvette (1953) was powered by a 6 cyl (blue flame)...

but like anything you hear on the net it's probably a load of pewp...

I have mixed emotions over putting a V6 back in the vette but being TT, I bet it will haul ass. Doesn't matter to me tho, when I get my C6Z I'll be happy
    ┌∩┐(◕_◕)┌∩┐

Man: The Mods you are fighting,
    they are the biggest Men I have ever seen. I
    wouldn't want to fight them!

Me: That is why no one will remember your name!

Impounded
    gmcheviac

Vette was never a v6. The 235 inline sucked, it was a passenger car motor. I can't imagine this one being too affordable

Pewter
    2002 Trans Am WS6 M6

So they are dumping a ton of money into the next gen V8 performance engine but plan on putting a TT V6 in the vette. For some reason the numbers arent adding up to me.

NBM
    '00 A4 SS

Yeah, not too hyped up about this idea at all, and also since they're planning on making it mid-engine, it's probably going to be ugly as shit. I guess I was wrong for thinking GM's current lineup of vehicles couldn't get any worse.

Black
    2001 WS6

I dont think this is true. Not until the c8 at least. I've been on alot of forums, and paid attention to alot of news. The new c7 will be front engine rwd, powered by the new 5.5 liter engine currently being used in the corvette racing series. There's been alot of speculation about a mid engine vette, and it WAS supposed to happen for the c7, but it was scrapped due to gm's financial mess. So they've put it on hold. They wouldnt waste the time on a new engine and have it in the racing vettes and then scrap it. The c7 is supposed to be a cross between a c6 and c8. The transformation stage i guess you could call it. The c8 is to be completely new. inside, outside, engine. Thats most likely when they'd debut a mid engine twin turbo'd v6..if they were to go that route. everything ive heard so far has gm putting the 5.5l engine in the c7, front mounted.

[]D [] []V[] []D
    1999 trans am

Quote Originally Posted by wheeliE-maxx View Post
    Vette was never a v6. The 235 inline sucked, it was a passenger car motor. I can't imagine this one being too affordable
    yes it was...

http://www.rogerscorvette.com/specs/53r.htm

Pewter
    2001 Camaro Z28 M6

just like farves retirement... I will believe it when the production line is moving....

Maybe the word vette is for Chevette....

GM knows they will lose more sales then gain sales if they change the vette that much.

primevil
    2000 FRC

it doesn't matter what they put in it (engine), they've already OVER PRICED the car anyway.

Althought I do own (no payments) my C5 right now. There's no way i could afford a new C6 Z or for that matter a C6 Blue Devil !

Pewter
    2002 Trans Am WS6 M6

I think more likely GM may be doing another mid-engine concept and are outsourcing some work to Saab and since they arent informed they are just assuming its for the C7 and running with that idea and shooting their mouths off.

White
    '10 ZR1

Quote Originally Posted by LSCyaL8R View Post
    yes my friends according to this saab engineer the C7 will be a mid engine supercar.....

but that's not all.....

those of you still with me might wanna turn away now....

According to autocar, now that the economy is a little better, work on the C7 has resumed and....

it...

will...

be powered by...

a twin turbo V6

GM.... I am dissapoint.
    With me having the opinion that most of the auto makers are going to smaller cubes prompted me to get my Z........the latest LS7 might be the last and largest engine the Corvette (or Camaro for that matter) ever sees again.

Impounded
    gmcheviac

Quote Originally Posted by Spaz View Post
    Again no. It was the slow 235 inline six I mentioned. I believe there was a v6 race car in the 80's, mid engine and turbo.. Looked like a c5 up front.

White
    '10 ZR1

Again no. It was the slow 235 inline six I mentioned. I believe there was a v6 race car in the 80's, mid engine and turbo.. Looked like a c5 up front.
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chevrol...aight-6_engine

Impounded
    gmcheviac

Quote Originally Posted by FasstChevys View Post
    With me having the opinion that most of the auto makers are going to smaller cubes prompted me to get my Z........the latest LS7 might be the last and largest engine the Corvette (or Camaro for that matter) ever sees again.
    It will be fast as hell (if real) and will be as powerful as the internals allow with meth injection

Black
    2001 Camaro SS M6

There was also a 4 door vette.....it never seen the light of day

Impounded
    gmcheviac

And a rotary

White
    '10 ZR1

It will be fast as hell (if real) and will be as powerful as the internals allow with meth injection
    I understand all that - basically any engine can make gobs of horsepower (especially with turbo(s)) - I was merely talking about cubic inch displacement.

White
    '10 ZR1

Quote Originally Posted by blackSS01 View Post
    There was also a 4 door vette.....it never seen the light of day
    Are you talkin' about the hatchback one?

Navy Blue Metallic
    2002 Z28

Quote Originally Posted by ramairgod84 View Post
    i dont think this is true. Not until the c8 at least. I've been on alot of forums, and paid attention to alot of news. The new c7 will be front engine rwd, powered by the new 5.5 liter engine currently being used in the corvette racing series. There's been alot of speculation about a mid engine vette, and it was supposed to happen for the c7, but it was scrapped due to gm's financial mess. So they've put it on hold. They wouldnt waste the time on a new engine and have it in the racing vettes and then scrap it. The c7 is supposed to be a cross between a c6 and c8. The transformation stage i guess you could call it. The c8 is to be completely new. Inside, outside, engine. Thats most likely when they'd debut a mid engine twin turbo'd v6..if they were to go that route. Everything ive heard so far has gm putting the 5.5l engine in the c7, front mounted.
    i agree with this.

O and since spyker, if i recall correctly, owns saab, it wouldt be in house development. Sooooo i say this isnt all that true

Thread Information