Thread: advice

black
    99 corvette

advice

I've got a black 99 corvette and so far I've done ram air, programmer, 160 degree thermostat, coolant bypass for throttle body, flowmaster 40 series mufflers hidden in corners and dumped, and hollowed out the cats. I just got my military bonus in so I'm looking to do a little more work on the car. I just cant decide what I want to do. Any Suggestions?

Quickslver
    2002 Corvette

Long tube headers/X-pipe and gears are probably your next step. Kooks, LGs, are two of the more respected makes. I can say that Kooks headers/X-pipe really improved performance on my '02 C5.

Jetstream Blue Metallic
    2008 Z06 Corvette

Coilovers, not only are your stock (if that's whats still on your car) shocks probably gone, but coilovers will greatly improve your car's handling, and you'll be able to lower it to your desired level, giving a more aggressive stance.
    Just my 0.2 cents.

98 Formula
    06 duramax

another vote for headers.

black
    99 corvette

I'm going to do headers for sure but as far as the lowering the car I was thinking about just doing the bolt kit thats like 150 bucks cuz everything is literally flat and straight where i live. would it really be worth it to do the coilovers to lower it instead?

Jetstream Blue Metallic
    2008 Z06 Corvette

You don't get that much with just turning the bolts, I've done it. You have to cut the "spacers" that are in there..no easy task. I lowered mine 1.5" in the front, and 1" in the rear by cutting, NOT removing the spacers, although some people do, I've been told that possible LONG term damage could occur to the lower control arm due to metal to metal contact that GM never intended by having those spacers removed altogether.
    You could buy those bolts specifically intended for lowering, and that would save you all this above mentioned grief. After lowering mt Z06, I discovered that too much of the suspension travel was taken up, and under hard acceration in corners, the car wants to "squat" a bit, but there's not enough room to do so, and it breaks tire grip even more easily. Hence, the reason for the coilovers. You can lower a car as much or little as you'd like, and still not lose any of your suspension travel.
    Not to mention the added benefits of the better suspension, but if where you live is predominately flat, it is a big $$$ investment, for little to no gains. I'd stick with buying the aftermarket lowering bolts.

TIP...WAIT at least 2-3 days and about 50 miles until you get your car aligned, it takes time for it to settle.
    Nothing better looking than a tastefully lowered Corvette in my opinion.

Thread Information