Atomic Orange
    2007 Z06

Question A4 vs A6 trans in C6?

Curious as to what, if any, the performance differences are between the 2005s w/the A4 & the 2006s w/the A6.

Also, is one trans beefier than the other?

I've been keeping my search to 2006s b/c of the trans thing, but if the A4 is just as good then I may as well look at 2005s too.

The car will be my daily driver, excluding crap weather, for the forseeable future. Only mods planned anytime soon are exhaust, cam & nitrous. Eventually I'd like to turbo or supercharge it & at least have 600 WHP.

04 Cobra 'vert - M6 mysti
    02 WS6 coupe - A4 red

Here's a blurb I found. Doesn't compare the pros/cons of each transmission directly, but may give you a little usable info...

The new electronically controlled 6-Speed Paddle Shift automatic transmission is one of the most technologically advanced transmissions in the industry, featuring clutch to clutch operation, manual control shift operation and an integrated 32-bit electronic controller. A wide, 6.04:1 overall ratio helps deliver exciting acceleration performance along with excellent fuel economy.

The six forward gears have smaller “steps” between them, which enhances the feeling of performance and smoothness. The smaller steps also enable a steep, 4.02:1 first gear, which provides an improved-performance launch feel when compared with the previous four-speed automatic’s 3.06:1 first gear. There are two overdrive gears: a 0.85:1 ratio in fifth gear and a 0.67:1 ratio in sixth. The final drive ratio of Corvette models equipped with the new transmission is 2.56:1.

Technological sophistication is exemplified by two electronically controlled automatic modes, Drive and Sport; plus manual Paddle Shift. The Drive mode follows a specific shift schedule of predetermined shift points, while the Sport mode enables Performance Algorithm Shifting (PAS). PAS modifies shift patterns when performance driving is recognized by the controller. The Drive mode optimizes shifts for smoothness, while the Sport mode enables firmer shifts for better performance. With the Paddle Shift mode, gear changes are made with manual control paddles located on the steering wheel.

The performance and functions of the six-speed paddle shift transmission with automatic modes are guided by an integrated controller. The controller is located inside the transmission, reducing complexity. A new 300-mm torque converter, new rear bell housing, new driveline support and revised-length driveshaft also support the transmission’s integration into the Corvette.

White
    1998 Trans Am

I had an 06, C6 with the a6 and loved it. It had a gear ratio for any situation !!! I did not care for the paddle shift on the steering wheel though. It should have been set up on the console shifter, like a slap stick.

Quote Originally Posted by bills98ta View Post
    I did not care for the paddle shift on the steering wheel though. It should have been set up on the console shifter, like a slap stick.
    How come you didn't like the paddle shifter?
    Just curious is all.

White
    1998 Trans Am

Quote Originally Posted by spacecowboy View Post
    How come you didn't like the paddle shifter?
    Just curious is all.
    On back roads with a lot of turning going on, the paddles do turn with the wheel... They're just not for me...

Thread Information