Filed under: Classics, Coupe, Performance, Chevrolet, Toys/Games

Spend just a few minutes looking around online, and you quickly find that people have figured out how to make just about anything out of Lego, including some very cool model cars. The Danish company has taken this fact to heart and has released some fantastic automotive kits recently. In August, its vintage Mini Cooper came out, and a few years ago, it unveiled its 1962 Volkswagen Bus. But maybe it's about time that Lego added a large-scale recreation of a classic American sports car to its offerings.

To that end, a user named Brickdater on the website Lego Ideas is hoping to put this 1969 Corvette into production. According to the project description, "Ever since I can remember I've always wanted a '69 Vette. So I built one." The creator definitely gets the C3 'Vette's curvaceous form down, despite having to render them in angular plastic blocks. Brickdater has even managed to achieve a two-tone look with a white stripe running over the hood, roof and trunk. As it sits now, the Corvette is made up of 1,500 parts - about 420 more than the Mini Cooper - and the design features removable T-tops and a really well-detailed engine bay, complete with a carb and hoses.

Lego Ideas is a way for the company to get new product ideas directly from its fans. If a project receives 10,000 supporters, the Lego Review Board evaluates it. Then if it gives the design the thumbs up (which isn't a guarantee), the kit gets put into production. Lego even shares a percentage of each sale with the creator.

With about 2,400 supporters as of this writing and nearly a year to reach the goal, Brickdater's Vette is doing pretty well so far, but obviously it could use a nudge if you're so inclined. You can add your further encouragement over at Lego Ideas.1969 Corvette Lego model needs some support to make production originally appeared on Autoblog on Sun, 14 Sep 2014 16:57:00 EST. Please see our terms for use of feeds.
Permalink | Email this | Comments

More...