Red
    1996 Camaro Z28

Z28 won't start after being parked for a year

Hello everyone,

I have a 1996 Z28. I parked the car a year ago and now it won't start. When I parked the car it was real low on gas, so I thought that there wasn't enough gas to be picked up from the fuel pump, so I put in a half a tank of gas and the car still just turns over and won't start. Could the fuel filter be gummed up from letting it sit? I am going to start driving it again it only has 24,000 miles on it. I thought I was I was taking care of it by not driving (it is going to be a gift for my son when he get his liscense), however I have been told not driving it is not good for it. When it was parked it ran fine. Ant advice will be appreciated.

Thanks, Chad.

98 Formula
    06 duramax

certainly wouldn't hurt to pull that fuel filter and replace it. All the crap settles to the bottom of the tank and then gets picked up by the fuel pump. Swap that filter and check your fuel pressure at the rail.

Black
    2000 Trans Am WS6

Quote Originally Posted by 0rion View Post
    certainly wouldn't hurt to pull that fuel filter and replace it. All the crap settles to the bottom of the tank and then gets picked up by the fuel pump. Swap that filter and check your fuel pressure at the rail.
    agreed, also does it turn over at all? Did you do a load test on the battery? what do your spark plugs look like? Whats ur oil level and what does it look like?

98 Formula
    06 duramax

I just noticed you have an LT-1. Verify spark as the optisparks on those cars are prone to failure. Might have gotten moisture into it.

Red
    1996 Camaro Z28

Thanks guys for all your advice and quick replies. The battery is turning the car over good, but I have not load tested it. The oil & oil level is good. I pulled one plug and it didn't look bad, however I need to look at the rest. I have never heard of an optispark, so I googled it to see what it looks like. I found a picture on ebay, so now I know what it looks like, but I don't know where it is on the car or how to test the spark on one. Is there a certain fuel pressure tester that you guys reccomend. Thanks again and sorry for not knowing to much about the mechanics of these cars.

Bone it like you own it FORD RECOVERY EXPERT's Avatar

Black / Stryker Blue
    2K WS.6/ 2K9 G8GT

Quote Originally Posted by chadz28 View Post
    Hello everyone,

I have a 1996 Z28. I parked the car a year ago and now it won't start. When I parked the car it was real low on gas, so I thought that there wasn't enough gas to be picked up from the fuel pump, so I put in a half a tank of gas and the car still just turns over and won't start. Could the fuel filter be gummed up from letting it sit? I am going to start driving it again it only has 24,000 miles on it. I thought I was I was taking care of it by not driving (it is going to be a gift for my son when he get his liscense), however I have been told not driving it is not good for it. When it was parked it ran fine. Ant advice will be appreciated.

Thanks, Chad.
    Quote Originally Posted by TransAm11973 View Post
    agreed, also does it turn over at all? Did you do a load test on the battery? what do your spark plugs look like? Whats ur oil level and what does it look like?

Opti spark is located behind the water pump....
    To verify spark, get a spark tester (Should be readily available at local parts store) and use it per instructions ( pull a plug wire, install tester in line, ground and have someone turn it over while you watch the tester... ) then let us know

Bone it like you own it FORD RECOVERY EXPERT's Avatar

Black / Stryker Blue
    2K WS.6/ 2K9 G8GT

I don't know where it is on the car or how to test the spark on one. .
    See Above

Is there a certain fuel pressure tester that you guys reccomend. .
    I believe the O.E.M. pump puts out between 45-60 PSI, Any tester rated for that range should work.

Thanks again and sorry for not knowing to much about the mechanics of these cars.
    You'll never know if you don't ask...

Navy Blue Metallic
    2002 Z28

just sell it to me! $100

Thread Information