2001 Camaro Z28

Yellow gunk in Oil

I noticed just recently that there is some yellow gunk on my oil cap. I was told that it was because water was getting into the system somewhere. Is this true? How do I remedy this problem?

Thanks.

ʢ ൧ ൨ ൩ ൪ ൫ ൬ ൭ ൮Ր Ց Ւ Փ Smittro's Avatar

White
    2008 Hummer H3

Lightbulb

Quote Originally Posted by wdpryor View Post
    I noticed just recently that there is some yellow gunk on my oil cap. I was told that it was because water was getting into the system somewhere. Is this true? How do I remedy this problem?

Thanks.
    Short trips? Could be just some condensation build up kinda common. Is this substance on your dipstick as well? Maybe a head gasket going south but not as common as the goop (on any engine) but a possiblity.. I doubt it though.. Just have a hunch it's from short trips like less than 3-4 miles.. Are you getting a white fogging type smoke out the pipes? Running odd? What kind of ride?
    Last edited by Smittro; 03-01-2010 at 01:51 PM.
    :\Users\Steven\Pictures\d6ftg5nh.gif

Suggestion: If you are particularly irritated by another member's posting habits and are constantly fighting the urge to flame them, you can click on that person's profile, and select "Add to ignore list." This will make that person's posts invisible to you.

98 Formula
    06 duramax

Quote Originally Posted by Smittro View Post
    Short trips? Could be just some condensation build up kinda common. Is this substance on your dipstick as well? Maybe a head gasket going south but not as common as the goop (on any engine) but a possiblity.. I doubt it though.. Just have a hunch it's from short trips like less than 3-4 miles.. Are you getting a white fogging type smoke out the pipes? Running odd? What kind of ride?
    I agree....

2001 Camaro Z28

Yes, lots of short trips. I live less than two miles from work. Now that you mention it I did notice some white smoke, but thought it was just because it was cold. It’s a ‘01 Camaro Z28. And yes the gunk is on the dipstick as well. Other than that the car is running great.

its short but its skinny. jiveass's Avatar

pewter
    99 trans am

Yes, lots of short trips. I live less than two miles from work. Now that you mention it I did notice some white smoke, but thought it was just because it was cold. It’s a ‘01 Camaro Z28. And yes the gunk is on the dipstick as well. Other than that the car is running great.
    check the coolant level and see if its low. if not, change the oil, and let it run for a bit or even drive it around more than a few miles and see if the gunkness returns. white smoke can indicate a blown head gasket. that, combined with the funky lookin oil usually are tell tale signs of a bad gasket.

White
    2008 Hummer H3

Thumbs up

Quote Originally Posted by needls1again View Post
    check the coolant level and see if its low. if not, change the oil, and let it run for a bit or even drive it around more than a few miles and see if the gunkness returns. white smoke can indicate a blown head gasket. that, combined with the funky lookin oil usually are tell tale signs of a bad gasket.
    and don't forget the smell.. Stuff stunks when it's being burned along with gasoline..

Awaiting Activation

Dark Blue Metallic
    2002 camaro b4c

Thanks.
    I had a similar problem 2 weeks ago and my PVC hoses were broken where i couldent see where the vacuum leak was (top back of manifold). As soon as i fixed it the yellow sludge went away in 2 days and my oil was clear.

Blk
    Z06 Corvette

Blown Head Gasket

True blue pearl
    1955 Chevy pickup

I had a thick yellow substance on inside of my oil fill cap as well. This is common with a blown head gasket? It doesn't get driven much...just very short trips every week or two. I also noticed that my coolant was low.

1999 Formula WS6 M6-sold
    2001 Silverado Z71

Quote Originally Posted by Smittro View Post
    Short trips? Could be just some condensation build up kinda common.
    I agree its usually this.
    I suggest you take a nice long drive to warm up the oil and purge the condensation. Oil change is also a good idea

White
    2008 Hummer H3

Lightbulb

That was most likely steam from hot exhaust hitting cold/cool air. If it were from the burning of coolant it would be a more dense/thicker type smoke (literaly like heavy fog) and also would smell heavily of coolant. The smell of burned coolant can't be missed or mistaken and you prolly would'nt be running vry good either imho. I'll wager the short trips is the cause. Gotta get her hot for longer bro.. A blown head gasket is usually followed by raised rpm @ idle because coolant burns, and/or a possible misfire/ lack of power under a load..
    Last edited by Smittro; 03-01-2010 at 06:14 PM.

Black
    2000 Camaro SS Conv.

That is most likely just condensation (as stated above). It's good for the engine and the oil to take a longer drive and let the engine and oil get up to full operating temperature to evaporate all the moisture. Other than that, you are probably just fine. Now if your dipstick comes out with creamy tan colored thick foamy residue instead of oil you have a different issue, but that doesn't sound like what you have.

silver
    2000 formula

I have it sometimes.........and sometimes not.......learned to live with it

Thread Information