Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Nbm
    2000 Camaro SS

Yellow/brown inside oil cap

changed my oil today with PP 5w 30 . Car has about 80,000 miles, stock ls1 w/ catback.

when i pulled my cap to fill'er back up, i found something ive never found before.

Looks like some yellowish brown sludge. it was only in the very top of the cap and in the very top of the oil tube. there was none down inside.

The oil looked fine, the oil actually wasnt even fully black yet, only 800 miles on the oil, however, its been about 4 months since last oil change.

Heres some pictures:

Oil cap

Oil tube

i was going to do H/C/i soon, but still havent decided if i was going to go forged, or just go 408 w/ lq9. So if theres something wrong, id like to find out soon! lol, just dont wanna do anything twice.

i know condensation can sometimes build up here since its a high point and heat rises. and i figure that this situation is magnified since i usually only drive my car about 2 miles to work, and 2 miles back a day TOPS. hence, the engine doesnt get completely warm, it usually gets up to 150-160. So basically what im guessing is that its collecting here since it hasnt been properly burned out of the motor as it normally would.

Should i be warming my car up completely?

any input?
    Last edited by totalkos; 03-16-2009 at 09:20 PM.

Red
    2001 ws6

beats me haha, wait for sarge to see this

Impounded

79 T/A -91 Firebird
    1998 Trans Am -Oynx Black

What are your mods? Looks like your oil isnt burning off condensation

Retired Outlaw Sum Bitch

Quote Originally Posted by totalkos View Post
    changed my oil today with PP 5w 30 . Car has about 80,000 miles, stock ls1 w/ catback.

when i pulled my cap to fill'er back up, i found something ive never found before.

Looks like some yellowish brown sludge. it was only in the very top of the cap and in the very top of the oil tube. there was none down inside.

The oil looked fine, the oil actually wasnt even fully black yet, only 800 miles on the oil, however, its been about 4 months since last oil change.

Heres some pictures:

Oil cap
    Click for full size

Oil tube
    Click for full size

i was going to do H/C/i soon, but still havent decided if i was going to go forged, or just go 408 w/ lq9. So if theres something wrong, id like to find out soon! lol, just dont wanna do anything twice.

i know condensation can sometimes build up here since its a high point and heat rises. and i figure that this situation is magnified since i usually only drive my car about 2 miles to work, and 2 miles back a day TOPS. hence, the engine doesnt get completely warm, it usually gets up to 150-160. So basically what im guessing is that its collecting here since it hasnt been properly burned out of the motor as it normally would.

Should i be warming my car up completely?

any input?
    That is the results of not getting your oil up to temps long enough to burn off condensation. Also piss poor PCV. I would run it and let the temps get up to temp for 30 minutes or so.....get a breather/catch can setup...this will vent much better....read up on what is going on here

As for the poor soul who doesn't use Pennzoil because it "foams".....
    I'm speechless at the misinformation found on the internet. Posted up like fact when nothing could be further from the truth. If there were a single shred of evidence to the contrary Pennzoil would not carry the API SM certification I assure you. Just total garbage.

Black
    2000 WS6 6spd Hooker LT

Yup, you are seeing this because the engine is not getting warmed up long enough. I wouldn't let it idle to warm it up tho, I'd drive it for some fun on the weekends to really get it hot and burn off that water vapor that builds up there. Another thing is that a stuck open t-stat can cause this, but your situation is definitely from not letting the engine get up to temp long enough.

Sarge, Tommy Chong, or whoever he is these days, has good suggestions also.

Velocity Yellow
    2008 Corvette Z06

In my experience with that particular concern, it usually ends up being coolant and oil mixing due to an intake or head gasket issue. I could be wrong since I have never seen that problem on an LS1, but just something to check in to.

2018 Tahoe - Silver - OEM

2008 Z06 - Velocity Yellow - BBE exhuast - Airaid CAI **sold**

2002 Z06 - Electron Blue Metallic - D1 - E85 - 701 rwhp 687 rwtq **sold**

2002 Z28: M6 NBM - cam and boltons - 396rwhp 357 rwtq **sold**

blacker than wesleysnipes
    98' trans am

Quote Originally Posted by Sarge View Post
    That is the results of not getting your oil up to temps long enough to burn off condensation. Also piss poor PCV. I would run it and let the temps get up to temp for 30 minutes or so.....get a breather/catch can setup...this will vent much better....read up on what is going on here

As for the poor soul who doesn't use Pennzoil because it "foams".....
    I'm speechless at the misinformation found on the internet. Posted up like fact when nothing could be further from the truth. If there were a single shred of evidence to the contrary Pennzoil would not carry the API SM certification I assure you. Just total garbage.
    heard breathers dont work well with our pcv system...catch can on the other words

98' trans am

Quote Originally Posted by konigandy6 View Post
    In my experience with that particular concern, it usually ends up being coolant and oil mixing due to an intake or head gasket issue. I could be wrong since I have never seen that problem on an LS1, but just something to check in to.
    the old 3x00 engines..(minus the 3800 i think) have/had that problem..the lower intake manifold gasket would break down and then comes the chocolate milk on the dipstick ..fucking hated that..so i sold it and bought a ls1

Velocity Yellow
    2008 Corvette Z06

Quote Originally Posted by shady milkman View Post
    the old 3x00 engines..(minus the 3800 i think) have/had that problem..the lower intake manifold gasket would break down and then comes the chocolate milk on the dipstick ..fucking hated that..so i sold it and bought a ls1
    That's why I was assuming that. Working in service at a Chevy dealer makes me aware of the chocolate milk problem! And yes, the 3800's have that problem too... unfortunately.

98' trans am

That's why I was assuming that. Working in service at a Chevy dealer makes me aware of the chocolate milk problem! And yes, the 3800's have that problem too... unfortunately.
    ahh ok..didnt they fix this problem with a new designed gasket..in 02 i think ?

SOM
    2001 Z28 (Sara)

That is the result of the oil being mixed with condensation, should disapate on a fully warm engine, for now you can wipe it off.

If you saw this on your dipstick, it could be a cracked cylinder head.

SteveC

Black
    2000 WS6 6spd Hooker LT

Exactly. Since it's not showing on the dipstick or thru the rest of the engine, it is merely a condensation issue mostly because of the OP's 2 mile drives. Now if he showed us his milkshake dipstick, that would be very different. 99.9% it is not a head gasket issue in his case.

Black
    2000 WS6 6spd Hooker LT

Calm down Smittro. I've used Pennzoil in the past, never ever had any foaming (or any other) issues, with that oil. I do have Valvoline synthetic currently, last winter on my 5 mile drive to work I had some milkshake issues on my filler cap also.

Sebring Silver
    2000 CamaroSS

you weren't called a liar.....just grossly misinformed

Nbm
    2000 Camaro SS

Quote Originally Posted by totalkos
    So my assumption was correct! Sweet, it had me a little worried

Yes the oil looked fine.

Where/what kind of catch can should I get?

Retired Outlaw Sum Bitch

Quote Originally Posted by Smittro
    I dont need to produce evidence if I say it foams it's because it does period. I dont' give a shit what the bottle says. I've seen the foam on dip sticks and in oil pans. I would'nt run that shit in my lawn mower. You probably own stock in Pennzoil I'm guessing. Second it was a suggestion of what the problem might be. I also already told him it might be condensation. Your reaction is garbage.
    LOL....I really dont care what kind of oil anybody runs. I stay very facts based. I probably spend more money in a year on lab work than you do on oil your entire life
    Any SM rated oil must meet minimum requirements and part of those requirements are....yes...foaming agents.....Pennzoil is a GroupII+ with outstanding add packs....I'm talking the conventional yellow bottle here....Pennzoil Platinum is even better. There is no shortage of any of the critical add packs...be they foaming agents/friction modifiers/suspension agents/detergents etc. etc. Pennzoil is at the top of that food chain.
    Far and away the number one reason a motor oil "foams" is the sump has been overfilled and this allows the crank to whip the oil in the pan.Second most common cause of any motor oil foaming is due an aftermarket oil additive being added. Many additives are very high in friction modifiers and viscosity enhancers....these addtives literally nullify the anti foaming additives found in your oil.....Third is disfunctional PCV not allowing the crank pressure to properly vent. Fourth would be ring blow by and excessive crank pressure.
    All the above cause foam. Not the oils fault. And there are more causes of any oil "foaming".....but not a single one is the oils fault.
    Back in the day cars had horrible PCV solutions. Crap for air filtration. People didnt change oil regularly. And thousands of cars developed sludge. Number one selling oil in the US was Pennzoil. So cars came into the shop, tore the motors down and voila....had more sludge than you could scrap up with a shovel.....with Pennzoil being the number one oil seller.....most of the time the car had been running Pennzoil.....so the "myth" Pennzoil caused sludge was born and lives today. The oil had absolutely nothing to so with sludge.....but try and kill that myth 30 years later....good luck.
    Same thing here....I listed just the top four causes of any oil foaming off the top of my head for you. Nowhere will any tribologist even hint Pennzoil foams....not with a straight face anyway.....as it is ridiculous to say.....because it isnt even remotely true.
    I did not call you a liar.
    I do not own stock in Pennzoil ( that I know anyway one of my trust may I dunno)
    I only comment based on thousands of lab reports and 35 years of studying lubrication and the internal combustion engine.
    I have no agenda one way or the other. I share what I have learned and back it up with data.
    I hope this helps you understand my original comments.

98' trans am

I only comment based on thousands of lab reports and 35 years of studying lubrication
    sorry i had too

also worth noting that pcv systems have been "revised well over 30 times within their semi short life"

ʢ ൧ ൨ ൩ ൪ ൫ ൬ ൭ ൮Ր Ց Ւ Փ Smittro's Avatar

White
    2008 Hummer H3

Wink

LOL....I really dont care what kind of oil anybody runs. I stay very facts based. I probably spend more money in a year on lab work than you do on oil your entire life
    Any SM rated oil must meet minimum requirements and part of those requirements are....yes...foaming agents.....Pennzoil is a GroupII+ with outstanding add packs....I'm talking the conventional yellow bottle here....Pennzoil Platinum is even better. There is no shortage of any of the critical add packs...be they foaming agents/friction modifiers/suspension agents/detergents etc. etc. Pennzoil is at the top of that food chain.
    Far and away the number one reason a motor oil "foams" is the sump has been overfilled and this allows the crank to whip the oil in the pan.Second most common cause of any motor oil foaming is due an aftermarket oil additive being added. Many additives are very high in friction modifiers and viscosity enhancers....these addtives literally nullify the anti foaming additives found in your oil.....Third is disfunctional PCV not allowing the crank pressure to properly vent. Fourth would be ring blow by and excessive crank pressure.
    All the above cause foam. Not the oils fault. And there are more causes of any oil "foaming".....but not a single one is the oils fault.
    Back in the day cars had horrible PCV solutions. Crap for air filtration. People didnt change oil regularly. And thousands of cars developed sludge. Number one selling oil in the US was Pennzoil. So cars came into the shop, tore the motors down and voila....had more sludge than you could scrap up with a shovel.....with Pennzoil being the number one oil seller.....most of the time the car had been running Pennzoil.....so the "myth" Pennzoil caused sludge was born and lives today. The oil had absolutely nothing to so with sludge.....but try and kill that myth 30 years later....good luck.
    Same thing here....I listed just the top four causes of any oil foaming off the top of my head for you. Nowhere will any tribologist even hint Pennzoil foams....not with a straight face anyway.....as it is ridiculous to say.....because it isnt even remotely true.
    I did not call you a liar.
    I do not own stock in Pennzoil ( that I know anyway one of my trust may I dunno)
    I only comment based on thousands of lab reports and 35 years of studying lubrication and the internal combustion engine.
    I have no agenda one way or the other. I share what I have learned and back it up with data.
    I hope this helps you understand my original comments.
    I must appologize for my over reaction. I read your entire other thread about various types of oils. Longest thread I ever seen.LOL Well next to the nudie one.LOL I was mearly suggesting Pennzoil because I'd seen it with foam. I was fully aware I might have been wrong. I also named condensation as a cause too because of his very short trips aswell. I fully retract my assanine comments.

Sebring Silver
    2000 CamaroSS

Nothing wrong with sticking to what you believe is true......sometimes we just gotta open our minds to new info.

( Hey, oil info is the only reason I listen to anything that grumply old man says )

ʢ ൧ ൨ ൩ ൪ ൫ ൬ ൭ ൮Ր Ց Ւ Փ Smittro's Avatar

White
    2008 Hummer H3

Thumbs up

Quote Originally Posted by rbob93 View Post
    Nothing wrong with sticking to what you believe is true......sometimes we just gotta open our minds to new info.

( Hey, oil info is the only reason I listen to anything that grumply old man says )
    I hear ya I make mistakes like evryone. Thats why I went to read his post on oils. Definetly opened my eyes and mind.

Thread Information