Thread: y-pipe issues

white
    2000 trans am

y-pipe issues

here we go again guys seems like every time I upgrade from stock to performance im sorry I did it .first it was the lowering kit now the exhust. so I finished the pacesetter lth's and pacesetter y-pipe install you would think they would fit perfect being from the same company but no first it was a fight to get the y-pipe into the headers now the y-pipe is almost touching the floor boards every time you touch the gas left side hits a couple of times. wasted $180 bucks by taking it to a performance based shop they tried to tweek it a little but still hits this sucks so I guess I have to remove it and get a big hammer and fix it.
    anyone else have this issue

Navy Blue Metallic
    98 T/A w/ mods, 00 FBVert

Doesn't matter what brand you have the ORY's have a huge tendency to do that. Several ways to fix it. I've seen crushed cans wedged between the ORY and the floorboards to welding a bracket to hold it in place.

Or you can try this

LS1 Y-Pipe Bump Stop Hanger for 3" y-pipes sells for $50 (WS6Store)

2000 Camaro SS
    '02 Z28 parting-out

Some have had luck with stiffer motor mounts.

white
    2000 trans am

do you know where this bump stop hanger goes and is it something anyone can do like a bolt on or does it get welded

Navy Blue Metallic

It mounts to the passenger side of the transmission cross-member Same spot as the OEM y pipe mounted too. No need to weld with the one I posted. Couple of bolts to tighten and it should be good.

BTW I also have the same LT's and ORY as you. Getting it onto the headers collective you need to open the ORY tube a little bit with some pliers in order for them to slip over the collector. If you use band clamps every time, using U clamps...throw them away and get band claims.

A lot of time the issue is not so much that the ORY is not fitting correctly as it is how it connects to the rest of the exhaust. If the pipe is to long or not kept tight against the tunnel it causes fitment issues.

It's unfortunate that when you get into modifying anything with aftermarket parts you have to be careful what you buy and where you get it. Everything isn't as hunky dory as they may lead you to believe, it's just part of modifying.

Pacesetters have had numerous complaints about that very same issue you're having. I've had 2 of them. One of my complaints is with the driver side being one solid piece with no real adjustment. So you can't move it around too much. It's at the mercy of where ever your header collector is positioned. I ended up cutting it off that side and I'm glad I did because I found my biggest complaint. The "T" junction where they join together had to be the worst attempt I'd ever seen, with a 3 inch pipe coming in where someone blew a small 2" hole with a torch. I cut that out to the proper 3" size and welded the driver pipe back on in a position that worked better for floor clearance. I didn't care for how they smashed the pipe on that side either trying to gain clearance.

After a few years I decided to try something different. Texas Speed sells a stainless Y pipe that has a REAL "Y" junction for better flow. Not only that but the driver side comes in 2 (maybe 3) pieces (can't recall now) and the intermediate piece has a nice kickout bend in it to clear the hump in the floor on the driver side. It all fits tighter to the car and still doesn't hit the floor. Best part is they are cheap to buy and they work perfectly with Pacesetter headers. Bad part is they are so popular that Texas Speed tends to run out of them from time to time. I run stock 15 year old motor mounts for what it's worth, and it works fine.

Here's some pics of the difference.

Last edited by Firebirdjones; 09-17-2014 at 02:54 PM.

white
    2000 trans am

I have the passenger side mount bolted to trani it came with it welded to the y-pipe with the bolts

I wish I would have know about the texas speed y-pipe sooner that's a nice piecei was on this site for a while asking questions on what to buy wish I would have known

Black & Blue
    '02 WS.6 / '07 Suburban

It took a while to get my Kooks Y-pipe to fit properly. It was tight to the underbody brace on the driver side. Fortunately, it is jointed so I was able to rotate it away from the floor and gain the clearance I wanted.

Navy Blue Metallic

FBJ, Pacesetter must have learned it's lesson because the new ORY I got a few months ago came in sections and the Y was a clean junction. No half-ass hole or welds.

I'm able to rotate like Jeff to get it into the right position. Only think I hate is they still come with u clamps instead of band clamps.

Quote Originally Posted by SMWS6TA View Post
    FBJ, Pacesetter must have learned it's lesson because the new ORY I got a few months ago came in sections and the Y was a clean junction. No half-ass hole or welds.

I'm able to rotate like Jeff to get it into the right position. Only think I hate is they still come with u clamps instead of band clamps.
    That's good to hear. Not sure why jodmari is having such a problem then.

I bought my Pacesetter stuff about 6-7 years ago and that whole driver side is just one big piece (as you can see in the pics), you can't move it around without moving the entire Y-section, which then has an impact on how low the I-pipe hangs. It really needed to be at least 1 seperate section on that side, if not 2.

white
    2000 trans am

o.k so I ordered the y-pipe bump stop from the ws6 store to c if it helps.also to boot texas speed y-pipe is s.s (I think) and 10 bucks cheaper then pacesettrs

Yes the Texas Speed Y-pipe is stainless steel

Red
    1998 Camaro Z28 Conv. M6

Get the Texas y pipe and be done with it...just like Firebirdjones I have the same set up with pacesetter headers..which equates to a near perfect fit.....Although my Texas y pipe is not polished. ...let us know how it all turns out OP...

white
    2000 trans am

anybody want to buy a pacesetter ory cheap hardy used

white
    2000 trans am

could use a little feedback with some codes that came up I had codes for ign coils b,d,f,h but I think that was in the history since the issue I had with the prong on the coil connecter had another for miss fire cyl 6 po306(can u tell me what side or where #6 is had a issue with one of the msd wires not clipping on the plug like the rest. and lastly a po175 bank 2 rich,what would cause that I have new 02's thanks

2000 Camaro SS
    '02 Z28 parting-out

What did you do with the rear O2 sensors?

white
    2000 trans am

had the rear o2's deleted by a frost tune

2000 Camaro SS
    '02 Z28 parting-out

#6 is on passenger's side third one from the front.

Probably wouldn't hurt to just clear all the codes. Then, drive it for a little to let the PCM relearn.

Thread Information