ONYX BLACK
    2000 CAMARO SS

Cool WTF is wrong with my engine temp?

Hey all,
    I just gave my car a tune up, new oil, oil filter, air filter, plugs, pcv, etc. Before giving my car a tune up the engine temp gauge always moved to the half way point and never moved past after warming up. Now After the tune up it will go up to the half way mark and after driving on the highway for like 5 mins in 6th gear, its starts to creep up almost to the 3/4 mark. This is while driving at around 65, and fans on. (I can hear them kick on). The temp may come back down to the halfway mark for a little and then start climbing again. WTF is going on?
    Thanks in advance

1. does the temp needle fluctuate? meaning it bounces around.. it it does that then you may have air in the radiator, so you'd need to fill it up correctly, taking the air out.
    2. check to make sure you have enough fluids, coolant.
    3. your thermostat may be busted, get a new one... 160F or 185F instead of the factory one. it will keep your engine cooler, better performance, it activates the fans more frequently etc. to have the thermo replaced ($40 part) you'd have to flush the radiator (make sure engine is cool)

other than that bring it back and complain whoever did you tune...

Make sure you didn't damage the ECT sensor by #1, and it's plugged in all the way. Might not be it but it's something easy to check.

ONYX BLACK
    2000 CAMARO SS

Thanks for the replies fellas, i will definitely look into all of these responses. Hopefully it is one of these simple fixes.

But to answer - yeah the needle fluctuates in between the 1/2 mark and 3/4 mark.
    And unfortunately I am the dumbass who did the tuneup...so if anyones fault-its mine.

Silver
    1998 WS6 M6

Quote Originally Posted by 2001NBMZ28
    Make sure you didn't damage the ECT sensor by #1, and it's plugged in all the way. Might not be it but it's something easy to check.
    Had this same problem with my car.. I did not break it, a friend of myne that was helping me install my LS6 intake on my old car broke it somehow and I had my gauge reading an overtemp condition even though everthing was fine. Also may want to doubble check your oil level. Check your oil filter, and surrounding areas for leaks.. Could be that the oil filter was not installed properly and your loosing oil and now your running low. Alot of people forget to peel the old gasket off the oil pan and end up geting a bad seal or even worse a nice explosion. Some people also forget to put a little oil on your finger and rub it around the gasket to make sure it seals. Just some things to think about..

Thread Information