Navy Blue Metallic
    1999 Trans-Am

WS6 Hood, stock airbox?

Has anyone adapted a stock airbox to make the ram air hood functional or is it just not practical? I've read a bit about it but haven't seen where anyone has done it and I wonder why, as I understand it it's just that the stock box is a little lower why not just fabricate a seal? a little ghetto maybe but there don't seem to be anymore airboxes kicking around second hand than there are hoods, meaning almost none.

Pewter Metallic
    2002 Trans Am WS.6

The ram air hood IS functional...

white w/NBM stripes
    1997 WS6 LT4 Trans Am

Quote Originally Posted by Wheels View Post
    Has anyone adapted a stock airbox to make the ram air hood functional or is it just not practical? I've read a bit about it but haven't seen where anyone has done it and I wonder why, as I understand it it's just that the stock box is a little lower why not just fabricate a seal? a little ghetto maybe but there don't seem to be anymore airboxes kicking around second hand than there are hoods, meaning almost none.

sweetie are you new?
    "Amber" - 97 WS6 LT4 converted Trans Am, SLP headers, 3200 stall, 1.6 RR's, line lock, cut out, exhaust, pioneer system, too much to list!
    www.WS6Racing.com

Navy Blue Metallic
    1999 Trans-Am

look, I know it seems bad but I swear my only handicaps are not mental.

I'm refering to putting a WS6 hood on a non-ram-air car doesn't the stock ram-air have a different box to match up with the hood?

white w/NBM stripes
    1997 WS6 LT4 Trans Am

i cant personally answer that for the 98-02 cars. my car was used to test fit trufibers prototype ram air hood, it was first used on a non ws6 car, when they tried it on mine they had to cut it a lot to fit over my air box - but now it WILL fit a non ws6 lt1, im actually selling it to a buddy with a 94 t/a. but id like to think since the ws6 cars need hoods to fit their air boxes, and its more room, it should most likely fit a on ws6 car.

white w/NBM stripes
    1997 WS6 LT4 Trans Am

to make a non ws6 air box work with the ws6 hood, meaning it has to be functional, you need to put a ws6 air box on it. if you need one, i can get one for you, youll just have to make it work.

Navy Blue Metallic
    `98 Formula M6 HdTp

look, I know it seems bad but I swear my only handicaps are not mental.

I'm refering to putting a WS6 hood on a non-ram-air car doesn't the stock ram-air have a different box to match up with the hood?
    Yes WS6's have a taller airbox but the set up is not sealed so there is no true Ram Air effect. If you sealed the system and debaffled the hood you might pick up 3 HP at 100 mph.
    Craig
    Semi Retired Street Racer
    2012 Lava Red Mustang GT Coupe Brembo/3.73's
    Build Date 3/17/11, Last Lava Red GT

Gone but not forgoten
    NBM `98 Formula M6 HdTp
    1 of 1 Build Date 3/12/98

Quick Silver
    2002 Z06

The only difference between the stock air box and the stock ram air box is the ram air box is a little taller. That little gap between the radiator and the airbox is a bit bigger.

If you wanted to rig it you should just put some rubber bushing under the box to raise it up. Thats as functional as your probably going to make a stock style ram air hood.

Really not worth making anything look rigged when you pop the hood. Power increase is very minimal at best.

Slow Passenger Window - Want Passenger Express Down - Tired of Replacing DayTime Running Light Bulbs

Camaro Owners Click Here
    Firebird Owners Click Here

Need instructions to replace your F-Body window motor?
    www.AutoTrix.net

Black
    98 Trans Am

Quote Originally Posted by brynnda View Post
    i cant personally answer that for the 98-02 cars. my car was used to test fit trufibers prototype ram air hood, it was first used on a non ws6 car, when they tried it on mine they had to cut it a lot to fit over my air box - but now it WILL fit a non ws6 lt1, im actually selling it to a buddy with a 94 t/a. but id like to think since the ws6 cars need hoods to fit their air boxes, and its more room, it should most likely fit a on ws6 car.
    Brynnda, they changed the air box setup somewhat when they went from Lt1 to Ls1 in the 98 and up. The Ws6 Lt1's had more of a "sealed" ram air as the box opening faced up...and mated with the bottom of the hood. The Ws6 Ls1's "raised" box opening, a little higher than a stock T/A's, faces forward...in front of a slotted opening in the hood, not really in contact with it.

Wheels, there was a guy on here a few years ago that did the "spacer thing" and....

00 TA PWTR, 98 VertTA NBM
    80 TA BLK, 80 Formula NBM

prob be better to just get a volant cold air. . . less hassle and more gain. and it achieves what you are goin for. but if your lookin for the gains itself, it would prob be better (from what ive heard from guys on here) to not worry about the hood bein functional and get a ssra or ftra and pull that air from the bottom. . . anyone else have some comparision between the two strategies?

Thread Information