Justin

Black
    2002 WS6

WS6 30,000 Ques.

I need a little help in deciding what I should get done on my 20092 WS6 -30,000 miles in order to keep it it "tip top" shape-preventive maintenance.

My mechanic said that I only needed 3 things done at this point = Rear axle diff change, fuel filter change and coolant flush. He also said I definately did not need a tune up. Is this info correct? What about repacking the wheel bearings, PCV valve, tune up, power steering stuff, etc... ???? Im a pharmacist not a mechanic/tech so I really am kinda lost in this area. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

JR.

98 Formula
    06 duramax

is it an auto or stick car? might change out those fluids while you're at it. I pretty much agree with what your guy told you except the coolant flush doesn't need done at 30k.

M.R.M. & C.E. Yellow
    01 TA & 02 CETA

Im assuming that youre talking about a 30k mile service here. So what youre mechanic said is right, but you might also want to look into a tranny fluid/filter change (mostly if youre auto, not sure on the intervals for a 6 speed) and an oil change. In essence you are doing a "tune up", although its not like back in the day when you had to replace points, cap, rotor, wires and plugs every 30K miles. And if the factory plugs and wires are still on it, i would say that theyre good, the factory says theyre good for up to 100K. I wouldnt think youd have to repack the wheel bearings with only 30K on it, the pcv valve would be cheap insurance if you dont have an oil catch can, and the power steering fluid should be ok, just check and top off if you like. Also, quoting my owners manual, you might want to check/replace your air cleaner if the oem one is still in and have youre tires rotated, and that should be about it. Good luck!

P.S. I also agree with Orion on the coolant flush. Dex Cool is supossed to be an extended life coolant, but there have been some issues with it so its up to you. I know of instances were it was changed regularly, and it was perfectly fine, and others were the stuff turns brown and clogs up youre radiator and motor, but thats mostly from lack of maintenece, which you apparently dont have a problem with.
    Last edited by RAWPWR3; 10-15-2008 at 06:48 PM.

Impounded

79 T/A -91 Firebird
    1998 Trans Am -Oynx Black

No wheel bearing to pack(sealed hubs up front)
    Everyone is leading you in the right direction. Check the tranny fluid if your an A4 and see if it looks burnt. Cheap to replace the filter on it. Not much else to do. Air cleaner, fluids, tire balance and rotate? lol

Black
    2002 Trans Am WS6

These are really easy things to do. If you have about 2 hours of time and a few hand tools you could do this in your drive way to help save some money. Or ask someone to help you do it for some beer and pizza.

always dirty
    2013 Ram 2014 Caddy ATS

Do everything he suggests. A little maintenence goes a long way.

Spiral Gray
    2004 Auto Corvette

Cool Hubs

Quote Originally Posted by JoshieDoom View Post
    No wheel bearing to pack(sealed hubs up front)
    Everyone is leading you in the right direction. Check the tranny fluid if your an A4 and see if it looks burnt. Cheap to replace the filter on it. Not much else to do. Air cleaner, fluids, tire balance and rotate? lol
    I have a noise vibration coming from the left front. Could it be the hub?? 87000 miles

Metallic Blue
    94 Z28 A4 T Tops 52K MINT

Smile

I agree with you mechanic as well. But as for the Dex-Cool I would get that crap flushed out asap. Go with some green antifreeze 50/50 mix with distilled water only. Also make sure you get all the dex out, maybe take out the thermostat and flush the heck out of it! That's if you decide to go that way. But yes Dex-Cool claims to be good for 100K. But if something else gets added to it, etc, it can cause serious problems.

Check your air filter (would not reccomend using a K/N due to poor filtration, but they flow good) I would use a good Wix filter, oem A/C filter, or for the ultimate filtration and flow go with a Amsoil EAA series air filter, they rock!

Also GM says not to change spark plugs until 100K, because thier platium but it's not going to hurt to replace them as well. Oem A/C's are great! NGK IX's works great as well.

Wether you have a A4 or M6 I'd change the fluid for sure. If it's a M6 use ATF (DOUBLE CHECK IN YOUR OWNERS/SERVICE MANUAL FOR PROPER FLUID, MY 2002 Z28 M6 TOOK ATF THOW. If it's A4 also use ATF, and a Oem trans filter kit. If it were my car and was a A4 I'd change the fluid and filter every year & have it flushed every other time.

As for PCV valves they can be cleaned with some carb cleaner, unless the spring inside the PCV valve is shot. I doubt it is on your car seeing how it only has 30K on it.

You can also do a Seafoam cleaning on it, to remove any carbon build up.
    Run a full can in gas tank, 1/2 can in crankcase for no more than 250 miles, then change oil & oil filter, finally run about 1/2 to 3/4 of a can into the brake booster vaccum line that leads into intake manifold. And soak the throttle body with Seafoams deep creek spray cleaner, use a old toothbrosh, and I usally fininsh off the throttle body with spraying some good carb/throttle body cleaner inside to rinse it out good. PM me if you have any questions.

Also yes change you diff fluid and make sure to use GM's limited slip additive for sure. It seems to works the best. Again I would change the diff fluid sooner that every 30K. But that's just me.

You can always change the front two o2 sensors if you want. (kind of spendy)

Also not a bad idea to have the brake fluid flushed well. (Most people really neglect the brake fluid.)

I'd change the fuel filter at every oil change or at least once a year.

NOTE: these are all just reccomendations, there all not required to do. But I am a serious preventive mantance freak. I tend to go a little overboard some times.

Hope this helps. Please don't let it confuse you, PM me with any questions

Scott...

Quote Originally Posted by jroc View Post
    I need a little help in deciding what I should get done on my 20092 WS6 -30,000 miles in order to keep it it "tip top" shape-preventive maintenance.

My mechanic said that I only needed 3 things done at this point = Rear axle diff change, fuel filter change and coolant flush. He also said I definately did not need a tune up. Is this info correct? What about repacking the wheel bearings, PCV valve, tune up, power steering stuff, etc... ???? Im a pharmacist not a mechanic/tech so I really am kinda lost in this area. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

JR.

Thread Information