Sunset Orange
    '01 SOM ws6

Write-Up: Fuel Pump Kill Switch

Here is a quick write up on how to install a quick, yet effective fuel pump kill switch.

STEP 1:

Locate PCM connector # 2 under hood. Remove plastic cover by squeezing tabs near end of plastic cover

STEP 2:

Locate Pin # 9: Dark green wire with white stripe. Will be near the upper left corner of the connector for quick reference, but the PCM is clearly labeled so there should be no confusion

STEP 3:

Remove passenger side kick panel. NOTE: You can run wires through the firewall, but I chose to run them behind the weather stripping at the passenger door jam. If you go this route, just make sure the weather stripping is not altered too much or else water will leak in and accumulate in the passenger side floor board (happened in my jeep)

STEP 4:

Lift up weather stripping and drill small hole in the sheet metal to run the wires through. (Size of hole depends on gage of wire) Once again, I drilled the hole near the bottom of the weather stripping to prevent water from getting in. Drilling the hole also allows for the weather stripping to properly sit on the sheet metal, opposed to running the wire over the sheet metal which can cut the wires casuing them to short out.

STEP 5:

Run 2 wires through the drilled hole and into the passenger compartment. Run them up along kick panel and under the dash.

STEP 6:

Strip wires and solder them to a 2 prong toggle switch. I'll keep my switch location secret, but hide the switch somewhere semi-accessible, but not obvious to anyone other than yourself

STEP 7:

Pull the wires to the length you need and run them behind the weatherstripping in the door jam and into the engine compartment. The wires should pass under the plastic windshield wiper cowl and enter the engine compartment near the PCM

STEP 8:

Cut electrical tape and pull back any wiring loom covering up the PCM wires to allow easier access.

STEP 9:

I dont have many pictures for the last steps since my phone died but its very straight forward.
    Run the 2 wires under the plastic cowl and behind the PCM and into the black plastic wiring loom to help hide the wires. Cut the wire coming from PIN #9 near the junction of the wiring harness seen in the below image. This will allow for enough wire to work while still being able to effectively hide any soldering etc

STEP 10:

Solder the newly cut ends of the dark green/ white wire to the two wires you ran into the engine compartment. Hide the wires the best you can within the wiring loom and reapply any electrical tape or zip ties previously removed.

SIMPLE AS THAT!!!!

So now when the switch is off, the engine will simply turn over but not fully crank.. Total cost= $5 Hard to beat that
    Last edited by nichoLaS1; 04-18-2011 at 01:41 PM.

1999 Formula WS6 M6-sold
    2001 Silverado Z71

Nice write up. I'd definitely prefer to run those wires through and insulted grommet in the firewall though. You're gonna end up with a no start down the road when those wires rub through/ground out on the body

Mean Black
    1998 Trans Am

Quote Originally Posted by Cutlass View Post
    Nice write up. I'd definitely prefer to run those wires through and insulted grommet in the firewall though. You're gonna end up with a no start down the road when those wires rub through/ground out on the body
    agree. Great write up, just update the grommet in the firewall and it should be okay.

Navy Blue Metallic
    98 T/A w/ mods, 00 FBVert

When I had my 96 Firebird the original owner had something like this setup except it killed the starter and fuel pump.

2001 3.8 Black - sold
    2000 SS Black M6

I've wanted to do this, I hoped someone would write it up
    LS6 intake, Pacesetters, TSP rumbler !EGR, !AIR, 295/35 BFG KDW II's, UMI Adj LCAs. Tick Master Cylinder, LS7 Clutch and flywheel, Pro 5.0, Lous short stick, Frost Tune.

Sunset Orange
    '01 SOM ws6

Quote Originally Posted by Cutlass View Post
    Where's a good spot to tap into the firewall on the pasenger side? I was pressed for time yesterday, but would eventually like to run 'em through the firewall

1999 Formula WS6 M6-sold
    2001 Silverado Z71

Quote Originally Posted by nichoLaS1 View Post
    Where's a good spot to tap into the firewall on the pasenger side? I was pressed for time yesterday, but would eventually like to run 'em through the firewall
    I'm pretty sure there is a grommet running through the firewall down behind the PCM. You probably have to remove the PCM to access it. Just poke a hole through the rubber with a screwdriver and snake you wires through it.

98 Formula
    06 duramax

here's a pic from my wideband write up that shows the grommet. I just used a coat hanger to poke a hole in that and taped the wire to the coat hanger and pulled it through

2001 3.8 Black - sold
    2000 SS Black M6

Where does that whole come out at?

Sunset Orange
    '01 SOM ws6

Quote Originally Posted by Spikito View Post
    +1, itd be nice to be able to feed the wires from the inside out so I dont have to remove the PCM

98 Formula
    06 duramax

Quote Originally Posted by Spikito View Post
    comes out right at the pcm

Sunset Orange
    '01 SOM ws6

Quote Originally Posted by 0rion View Post
    comes out right at the pcm
    where does it enter the car? behind the glovebox?

98 Formula
    06 duramax

yep.....take that kick panel and stuff off down there and you can't miss it.

Sunset Orange
    '01 SOM ws6

awesome thanks.. so is it possible to feed the wires from the inside out, or are they too hard to reach that way?

98 Formula
    06 duramax

awesome thanks.. so is it possible to feed the wires from the inside out, or are they too hard to reach that way?
    piece of cake really.....that's how I did the wideband wires....from the inside out. They came out right behind the pcm.

Sunset Orange
    '01 SOM ws6

piece of cake really.....that's how I did the wideband wires....from the inside out. They came out right behind the pcm.
    k thanks, I'll see if I can find it this weekend and redo it. A pic would be awesome of the location inside the car if its possible for you to snap one

98 Formula
    06 duramax

k thanks, I'll see if I can find it this weekend and redo it. A pic would be awesome of the location inside the car if its possible for you to snap one
    huh? That is a pic of it I posted up there. It's upper right behind the glove box. Take that kick panel off and you can't miss it.

Sunset Orange
    '01 SOM ws6

huh? That is a pic of it I posted up there. It's upper right behind the glove box. Take that kick panel off and you can't miss it.
    my mistake.. I wasnt sure if that pic was inside or outside the car. Either way, I'll find it. Thanks for the advise sir

Sunset Orange
    '01 SOM ws6

yep.....take that kick panel and stuff off down there and you can't miss it.
    finally got around to running the wires through the firewall.. too easy almost. thanks for the help

Sorry to bring this thread back from the dead, but it's exactly what I'm looking for but the pictures on the OP are missing. Unfortunately I'm a very visual person and the pictures would help tremendously. Does anyone have the pictures for this thread or have a write-up with pictures?

Thread Information