2002 WS6
    1965 Mustang

Would it be bad to put my fuel pump on a on/off switch?

So here's my problem....

Drove my car into the garage to replace the motor.

Replaced motor, went to fire up, acted like it was out of gas. Filled gas tank up. It will start, but will not idle. It acts like its out of gas.

I have installed a racetronix pump and hot wire kit. Messed with that for a couple of days. New relays, etc.... Would not work.

Frustrated, so I put the stock fuel pump stuff back in. Still no fuel!! I have no fuel pressure at the rails.

I am getting 12 volts at the relay, and 3.57 volts at the pump. Fuel pump does come on when you turn the key on.

No security light, no kinks in the fuel lines anywhere.

Everything has been replaced. I've checked my grounds, relocated them and checked and relocated them again and again.

Fuel filter was replaced.

I have never had this happen. I'm at a loss. So frustrated. Help!!!

Navy Blue Metallic
    98 T/A w/ mods, 00 FBVert

I'm suggesting this as a way to eliminate possibilities:

Check fuel lines for clog: have a gas can that you can dump gas into. At any spot in this you do not get fuel then you know where the clog is.
    Disconnect the line at the tank side of the filter, have some one turn key on and see if fuel is getting to the filter. If Yes then put on filter disconnect line on engine side of filter, repeat turn key on. Fuel = Yes, connect line, disconnect the fuel line at the rail, turn key on fuel = Yes. Then your lines are clear.

Have you checked the fuel rail and injectors for their connections? Could have cut a wire on the swap out.

2002 WS6
    1965 Mustang

Quote Originally Posted by SMWS6TA View Post
    I'm suggesting this as a way to eliminate possibilities:

Check fuel lines for clog: have a gas can that you can dump gas into. At any spot in this you do not get fuel then you know where the clog is.
    Disconnect the line at the tank side of the filter, have some one turn key on and see if fuel is getting to the filter. If Yes then put on filter disconnect line on engine side of filter, repeat turn key on. Fuel = Yes, connect line, disconnect the fuel line at the rail, turn key on fuel = Yes. Then your lines are clear.

Have you checked the fuel rail and injectors for their connections? Could have cut a wire on the swap out.
    All the wires are good, I've checked those until I'm blue in the face.

As for the fuel filter clog, I'll will give them a shot this evening.

White
    '10 ZR1

Since there's no pressure at the fuel rail, is it possible there's an air pocket in your system? It does sound odd!

3.5 volts at the pump seems low......low enough to not spin the pump and give you fuel. Did you try disconnecting the fuel line and turning on the key to start the fuel pump?

2002 WS6
    1965 Mustang

Quote Originally Posted by FasstChevys View Post
    Since there's no pressure at the fuel rail, is it possible there's an air pocket in your system? It does sound odd!

3.5 volts at the pump seems low......low enough to not spin the pump and give you fuel. Did you try disconnecting the fuel line and turning on the key to start the fuel pump?

Yes, the pump comes on.

98 Formula
    06 duramax

Quote Originally Posted by jrbonds View Post
    So here's my problem....

Drove my car into the garage to replace the motor.

Replaced motor, went to fire up, acted like it was out of gas. Filled gas tank up. It will start, but will not idle. It acts like its out of gas.

I have installed a racetronix pump and hot wire kit. Messed with that for a couple of days. New relays, etc.... Would not work.

Frustrated, so I put the stock fuel pump stuff back in. Still no fuel!! I have no fuel pressure at the rails.

I am getting 12 volts at the relay, and 3.57 volts at the pump. Fuel pump does come on when you turn the key on.

No security light, no kinks in the fuel lines anywhere.

Everything has been replaced. I've checked my grounds, relocated them and checked and relocated them again and again.

Fuel filter was replaced.

I have never had this happen. I'm at a loss. So frustrated. Help!!!
    think you've already found your problem....now just have to find the cause. First thing I would do is swap that relay out. Maybe check those grounds or something.
    Last edited by 0rion; 04-06-2015 at 10:30 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Mean Green Z28 View Post
    Don't worry about understanding women. Women understand women, and they hate each other

2002 WS6
    1965 Mustang

Quote Originally Posted by 0rion View Post
    think you've already found your problem....now just have to find the cause. First thing I would do is swap that relay out. Maybe check those grounds or something.
    I'll buy a new relay tonight. Those three ground straps on the back of the engine harness. 2 are together that go on the back of the head and the 1 goes where? I put them all together and nothing changed. Separated and nothing.

98 Formula
    06 duramax

where were you checking voltage to the pump at and what were the wire colors? I see you did the hotwire kit off the back of the alternator right? Did you ground it in the back on the frame where the brake line is I think is where they have you ground it. It's been a while since I did mine. I do remember however having to grind the dog shit out of that to get it to ground well back there.
    Last edited by 0rion; 04-06-2015 at 03:38 PM.

Thread Information