The name says it all !!!FAST!!!'s Avatar

Black
    2000 WS6, 2006 G35

Won't stay running

I just installed a BBK SSI intake, BBK 85mm throttle body with adapter plate and both gaskets, SLP preformance MAF sensor, SLP CAI, SLP lid, and SLP smooth bellows. Now when I start it it revs to about 2000 rpms and then drops and wants to stall out. I can keep it running by feathering the gas and eventually it will stay running long enough for me to get out and feather the accelerator from under the hood. It sounds like there is a back fire from inside the intake when it starts to stall and I try to rev it back up. I have HP tuner PRO and I hooked it up and the only thing I noticed was the MAF was around .31 lb/min at lowest and 4.17 lb/min at highest. The column all the way at the right has a low of 60 and a high of 125. I'm assuming those are what normal readings should fall between. Also I noticed that the exhaust was glowing orange. I was thinking that was because of the upgrades and the fact that I'm running while sitting in the garage with no airflow to cool it. Can anyone help me figure this out? With all these upgrades do I need to get it tuned or anything?

NBM
    2002 Camaro

Pull the SLP MAF sensor off and put the stocker back on.
    02 Camaro
    PRC Stg 2.5 5.3's, Futral F14, PP Typhoon intake, True duals, Performabuilt tranny, & 3500 convertor, HSW plate kit.
    *Old Time* 10.90@ 125mph

Black
    2000 WS6, 2006 G35

Update: Just took it out for a run to see what the drivability was. Had to keep my foot feathering the throttle at stops, rpms were up and down while idling and slow speeds to about 30 mph. New development though...When the engine reached op temp (210 F) it started reving to 3000 at which point I would have to engage the clutch, slow down, and pop the clutch to slow the revs or let the tranny slow the car until the revs dropped to a more normal range. Then when I touched the throttle it would increase back to 3000. I couldn't blip the throttle to bring it down it would just take it to 3000 rpms. Also the temp, at one point started to rise (about 230 F) but the glowing exhaust went away. Again, assuming that is because I had airflow around the pipes.

Black
    2000 trans am ws6

take the maf off and put the stock one back on....aftermarket maf's are junk!

98 Formula
    06 duramax

Have you checked for leaks up there post MAF and around the intake? I'd have to dig around but I've also read where people have had issues with those TB's..... I just don't recall right off hand what they were. So you may have a couple of things going on. I also think I just read where you have to remove the clips for the knock sensor wires on the BBK intakes to get them to sit down properly...did you do that?
    Glowing exhaust normally means you're extremely lean. Don't drive the car until you get this figured out. If your manifolds are that hot imagine how hot your cylinders are.

Black
    2000 WS6, 2006 G35

Quote Originally Posted by 0rion View Post
    Have you checked for leaks up there post MAF and around the intake? I'd have to dig around but I've also read where people have had issues with those TB's..... I just don't recall right off hand what they were. So you may have a couple of things going on. I also think I just read where you have to remove the clips for the knock sensor wires on the BBK intakes to get them to sit down properly...did you do that?
    Glowing exhaust normally means you're extremely lean. Don't drive the car until you get this figured out. If your manifolds are that hot imagine how hot your cylinders are.
    I haven't pulled off any clips yet. It wasn't the manifolds it was the pipe just behind the passenger side cat. I did pull of the SLP MAF and put the stock back on. It helped a little, it doesn't stop running now. Damn I didn't want to pull that intake again. But it looks like I'm going to have to. If the engine was running lean wouldn't the O2's sense it and the computer adjust the fuel curve? Or do I need to get bigger injectors? BTW what are our stock injectors rated at and what kind of MAP sensor do we have, stock (1 bar, 2 Bar)? Thanks for your help.

Boz
    Last edited by !!!FAST!!!; 09-02-2009 at 05:09 PM.

Black
    2000 Pontiac Trans Am WS6

Damn, I put all of that stuff on my 2000 T/A back in 2002 except I didn't do the intake manifold. I had no problems other than I had to add an adaptor piece for the 98 and 99 F-Bodies to the throttlebody cable. Was your car equiped with California emission controls? I saw you are in San Diego and thought that might be part of the problem. Good luck, I hope everything turns out OK.

Scott

NBM
    2002 Camaro

Pull the intake back off and read this thread:

http://www.ls1.com/forums/showthread.php?t=120082

This should help you figure out your problem, but im willing to guess that you got a vacuum leak somewhere.

Thread Information