Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: won't start

red
    2001 camaro ss convertibe

won't start

Guys, I wonder if you can help me out. I just got a 01 camaro ss vert, with 15k miles. Every now and again it won't start. It will turn over but it won't start. I had it to the dealer and they cleaned the connection for the Pass key, and intake sensor. The problem still exist. When the car starts, it runs perfect. Any ideas will be greatly appreciated.

Black
    1998 Camaro SS M6 #1871

Sounds like something with fuel, I could be wrong though. Its either no spark or no fuel. Its cranking it sounds like, but just not firing. I am not really familiar with how those coil packs work, if one goes out will it still run? That might be a place to start investigating, but I'm sure somebody on here will have a better answer than me! Goodluck buddy.

silver
    98 camaro z28 m6

Make sure all of your connections are good and not loose. battery,starter does it say security when you try to start it. Is it a m6!

red

It's an A4. But like I said, it just turns over, it won't start all the time. Starter work well, battery is fully charged. The dealer did a fuel system check. It seems like it don't get spark for some reason, but then it will start up and run perfect. Any ideas?

black
    2004 GTO 6M

Whenever it won't start, get a buddy and have him crank on it while you check the spark and if spark is there then go for fuel. Check to see if you hear the fuel pump turn on if it turns on make sure it stays running once the car starts. If it won't turn of check the fuel relay sensor and if that is fine then i think there is a fuse somewhere. I know one of them turns it on and one keeps it running i think. You better hope its not your fuel pump becuase unless you cut a hole in your trunk then its a long job. When i had to replace mine on my 94 z i cut the hole so if it ends up being that and you wanna got the trap door method let me know i took a ton of pics.

Pewter
    99 Z28

to piggy back the response about the coil packs....there is also an ignition control module that you can look into. GM cars have always had problems with containing moisture and corrosion when related to the control module. When corrosion or moisture begins to build on the contacts it will cause the car not to start intermitantly. A way to check this is to have a friend or someone pull a plug wire from the vehicle and hold it close to a good grounding point...BE CAREFUL.....while they are holding it turn the key and have your buddy check for a spark or a weak spark.....a weak spark would have an orangish glow to it...while a good spark would have a blue spark...if there is no spark at all u know there is a problem. Its not common for a coil to go out or multiple coils all at once. If there is a consistant spark move to another problem. As far as fuel pumps go, usually those are not hit or miss, they just go. An easy check is to turn the key to the on position and listen to see if you can hear the pump click on a prime. If not thats a good indication it is bad. Though it is uncommon severe vacuum leaks can cause a hard start condition as well....best thing to do is to have a dealership hook it up to their osciloscope and see what the problem is.

Red
    02 camaro convertible ss

Quote Originally Posted by wayned View Post
    Guys, I wonder if you can help me out. I just got a 01 camaro ss vert, with 15k miles. Every now and again it won't start. It will turn over but it won't start. I had it to the dealer and they cleaned the connection for the Pass key, and intake sensor. The problem still exist. When the car starts, it runs perfect. Any ideas will be greatly appreciated.
    F**k me! Have a 02 SS convertible, YES, A4. YES, red, YES, 15K miles and YES. it will start and won't start at random. Drives me NUTS! Especially since I totally baby this mOtHeR. Have perfect fuel presure. Don't have spark. When it does start it always fires up on the button, will always start from cold even after 3 or 4 weeks standing, drive out 20, 30, 40 miles, real sweet, pull in, switch off, restart immediately - fine, restart minute or two - fine, try it once more, and its no play, no play, no play, no play. Can be there for an hour or two, turns over plenty, just refuses to fire. Embarressing is not close! Gotta sort this out - its a real good car otherwise.

teal
    1998 z28

replace your relays , they are in your fuse boxes underyour hood. replace starter& ign.

Wheres the ign control module located on these cars?

Red
    02 camaro convertible ss

Question

Replacing relays - starter and ignition, sounds a good idea. Whats this info based on, a hunch or experience?

red

Just replaced the ignition relays, it was only $10.00. The engine will not turn over if the starter relay is gone. So far, so good. Will let you know how it turns out.

teal
    1998 z28

Quote Originally Posted by Bustagutt View Post
    Replacing relays - starter and ignition, sounds a good idea. Whats this info based on, a hunch or experience?
    it happend to me. i had to get my car flatbeded away . i could not figuer it out . it turned out to be the relays. the flatbed truck cost more than the dam relays. now if it happens to me again , got a spare in the car.

red

I really hope this is the problem. It doesn't matter how much it cost, it is one cool car.

red

Started all day, no problems. I will keep you informed.

teal
    1998 z28

happy to hear that. i hope that it was also .

Red
    02 camaro convertible ss

I,ve got a garage looking into my problem. Went in on the 9th, and by complete chance only picked up on this thread that evening - typical! Still, I've called them and mentioned about the relays. Its enormously difficult to find someone prepared to work on this type of car in the UK, furthermore, if the problems electrical and intermittent, may just as well find a piece of rope and a strong branch. See what they come up with. Be in touch.

black
    2004 GTO 6M

best of luck to you

teal
    1998 z28

Quote Originally Posted by Bustagutt View Post
    I,ve got a garage looking into my problem. Went in on the 9th, and by complete chance only picked up on this thread that evening - typical! Still, I've called them and mentioned about the relays. Its enormously difficult to find someone prepared to work on this type of car in the UK, furthermore, if the problems electrical and intermittent, may just as well find a piece of rope and a strong branch. See what they come up with. Be in touch.
    yha good luck.let us know what was wrong with it. no GM dealerships in the UK?

Red
    02 camaro convertible ss

GM dealerships - not exactly. Subsidiary or kind of division called Vauxhall, similar to Holden in Australia and Opel in the rest of Europe. Present any of this lot with a Camaro and all you'll get is a feast of chin rubbing and head scratching. Theres a small number of shops around in the UK who specialize in US vehicles, usually operated by enthusiasts. Suffice it to say its hit and miss. Infact, theres probably less than 10 cars like this in the UK (Pop 65mil)

red

It's been 2 days since I've changed the ignition relay, and the car has started every time. I'm still not convinced but I will let you know.

Thread Information