Winter + New Toys = Tinkering

I've got my entire basement full of new toys for the WS6 that I'll be installing come spring. (don't be jealous LOL) I'm just wonding if there is anything I can do to them now to help them last and look like new longer once they are on the car.
    Should I put a good coating of wax on the new rims (chrome plated), if so, should I do the entire rim, or will that interfere with the proper sealing of the tire.
    How about headers (pacesetter ceramic coated) anything more I can do to help fight rusting?
    And the rest of the exhaust system?
    SFCs, STB, and sway bars as well. ;-)

You can probably tell I'm a bit bored of sitting inside this winter...any advice welcome.

hugger orange

Quote Originally Posted by Intrepidman View Post
    I've got my entire basement full of new toys for the WS6 that I'll be installing come spring. (don't be jealous LOL) I'm just wonding if there is anything I can do to them now to help them last and look like new longer once they are on the car.
    Should I put a good coating of wax on the new rims (chrome plated), if so, should I do the entire rim, or will that interfere with the proper sealing of the tire.
    How about headers (pacesetter ceramic coated) anything more I can do to help fight rusting?
    And the rest of the exhaust system?
    SFCs, STB, and sway bars as well. ;-)

You can probably tell I'm a bit bored of sitting inside this winter...any advice welcome.
    you still have a month or two of winter left up there so i say pull off some engine parts (like valve covers) and parts like that and polish them!

Black
    2000 Z-28

From my understanding the pacesetters will rust no matter what. If you don't want them to rust then maybe sell them and get yourself a set of stainless steel ones.

hugger orange

Quote Originally Posted by Johns00Z28 View Post
    From my understanding the pacesetters will rust no matter what. If you don't want them to rust then maybe sell them and get yourself a set of stainless steel ones.
    I have them (uncoated) and been running them for a little iver a year now. they have some rust but I could easily pull them out clean them up and put a good coat of hitemp paint on them to make them last....just more maintainance than stainless.
    how do you like the new cam? Bill got his in and drove it over to my house this morning.....its a beast

Black
    2000 Z-28

Yeah it pulls strong but it really needs some work on the drivability side.

Quote Originally Posted by mark21742 View Post
    I have them (uncoated) and been running them for a little iver a year now. they have some rust but I could easily pull them out clean them up and put a good coat of hitemp paint on them to make them last....just more maintainance than stainless.
    Hi temp paint....is there really such a thing as a paint that won't simply burn off?

hugger orange

Quote Originally Posted by Intrepidman View Post
    Hi temp paint....is there really such a thing as a paint that won't simply burn off?
    you have the ceramic coated headers so you should get years of use out of them before anything has to be done to them.
    I've actually had pretty good luck with the 1,200 ° BBQ hitemp paint from the parts store......it works better if you use several light coats on clean bare metal.
    it will turn gray/white right up by the heads lots of times but should hold

Thread Information