Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Black
    1997 KITT

Windshield wipers terrible design

Maybe the second biggest disappointment with the car is the operation of the wipers.

They are all up in your way when they are 'resting' in the ready position (intermittent setting)... What is this...? No other car has this that I know of...? Why rest midway up the window (being sarcastic), but seriously they are totally annoying, why were they designed like this?

Even turned off and 'put away' they are still huge very visible wipers, along with the tray that they sit in being so overly enlarged, another mystery of the car...

SH

Black/ Silver
    98 TA WS6/ 01 C5 Corvette

I have not experienced this. Also what car are you referring to?
    1998 Trans Am WS6 - Phantom
    421 CI LQ9, Tick Performance Custom Cam, TFS 255cc LS3 heads, Kooks 2" LT headers, Kooks 3" True Duals w/ high flow cats, FTP 104 lid, Speed Density Tune, 4" silicon tube, LS6 VCT, FAST 102 Intake, NW 102 TB, Oil Catch Can, SLP Bilstein Shocks w/ Vogtland Springs, CTS-V 4-piston Calipers w/C6 Z06 rotors, Stainless Steel Brake Lines, R1 concepts premium rotors, Hawk HP+ brake pads, VFN WSQ Hood, C5-R timing chain, SLP oil pump, E85 tune, Walbro 450 fuel pump, Deatschwerkz 95# injectors, Breathless performance headlights, Frost Tune, !HVAC.
    (Coming Soon) BMR DSL, UMI TQ Arm
    421 LQ9 14.8:1 on E85 Build/

white
    04 2500 4x4 crew cab

I have not noticed this. But, I do live in AZ. Hardly ever use the wipers. In the event I do get to use the wipers, I am using the rear tires to swing the a&& end around every corner I get a chance.... FTW!

Black/ Silver

Quote Originally Posted by az gt eater View Post
    I have not noticed this. But, I do live in AZ. Hardly ever use the wipers. In the event I do get to use the wipers, I am using the rear tires to swing the a&& end around every corner I get a chance.... FTW!
    I'd remove my wipers and windshield washer fluid resevoir if it wasn't required by state inspection.

Navy Blue Metallic
    98 T/A w/ mods, 00 FBVert

Quote Originally Posted by 98TransAmWs-6 View Post
    I'd remove my wipers and windshield washer fluid reservoir if it wasn't required by state inspection.
    Those that run Methanol Injection kits retask the washer fluid reservoir as the storage tank for the Methanol.

Black/ Silver

Quote Originally Posted by SMWS6TA View Post
    I'd remove my wipers and windshield washer fluid reservoir if it wasn't required by state inspection.
    Those that run Methanol Injection kits retask the washer fluid reservoir as the storage tank for the Methanol.
    Maybe if I do a lsx 427 with a f2 procharger I'll do that lol.

Blog Entries

Mystic Teal
    1999 Formula WS6

This wiper issue you have sounds like something is wrong. I just got done driving a long distance with rain/shine all afternoon. When using intermittent, My wipers park only 2 or 3 inches above the off position. They were never in the way of my vision in the "ready" position. Maybe your wiper arms are not bolted on correctly or your linkage is bent or something. Do they rest on the bump stops on the black plastic wiper cowl when they are turned off???

Mean Black
    1998 Trans Am

yeah i'm thinking your wipers are not installed in the correct place. I use mine quite frequent and never had those issues.

BLACK
    1998 PONTIAC TA

What tekkauto said. I use mine all the time and never had an issue. It seems like the wipers are a tooth or 2 off where there are suppose to be. Loosen the bolt on top of the wiper under the little plastic cover and move them a tooth or so.

Red
    02 35th LE Camaro SS

Quote Originally Posted by SMWS6TA View Post
    Interesting lol
    Boost gets you laid, unless your name is Jon.

Navy Blue Metallic

Let's see if the OP can post a pic of the issue...

Black/ Silver

I don't think the OP will post a picture since he has not returned to the thread.

BLACK
    1998 PONTIAC TA

I used my windshield washer res for the meth system also. It also is still for washing my windshield. You have to find fluid that DOES NOT have any soap in it, just a 50/50 alcohol mix.

- - - Updated - - -

I used my windshield washer res for the meth system also. It also is still for washing my windshield. You have to find fluid that DOES NOT have any soap in it, just a 50/50 alcohol mix.

Red
    02 35th LE Camaro SS

I bought a separate smaller windshield washer tank for mine when I installed my Alky kit. My OEM windshield washer tank was converted for me by Alky for using methanol too. It has a low-level light indicator which is run into the cockpit of the car via LED (I like this feature). I have a few WOT runs once the LED starts beeping red before I'm empty. I'm running 100% methanol so I couldn't make the existing tank work for both the Alky kit and my wipers. I never drive mine in the rain though so I wasn't too concerned about that. I may or may not install the separate windshield washer tank. I guess I haven't used my wipers at all for 2 years now lol.

Navy Blue Metallic

this thread is officially

Black
    1997 KITT

Hard to believe that nobody is with me here, I said I was being sarcastic, they aren't that bad, but they are unlike any other car I've seen, and just annoying as I said... It is only a few inches, but why?? And why such a large tray and such, many cars sort of hide the wipers when they are not being used, not this one... Just strange...

SH

11 years of bangin gears cammed goat's Avatar

Phantom Black Metallic
    2004 GTO M6

Some cars with intermittent wipers don't completely "park" or sit all the way down while in use. They will wipe then come all the way down, but raise slightly until the next cycle. You're going to have to get used to that car. That is, IF you keep it.

Bright Red
    2000 Trans Am

There is also the fact that the 4th gen f-bodies have a huge arsed windshield and need ginormous wipers to clear it with :P I really have never even noticed mine unless they are actively moving.

2000 Trans Am T56 Swapped - GMPP "HOT" Cam | LS6 Intake | PnP TB | 25% UD Pulley | Founders adjustable LCA/PHB/TA | Norris Catch Can | TSP 1-7/8 SS LT | TSP True Duals with bullets | SLP Lid | UMI Shock tower brace | Torq Thrust M 17x9 275/40 front 17x10.5 315/35 rear - YouTube Videos - My Car Site

Pewter
    2002 Trans Am WS6

Mine don't bother me at all. Visibility-wise or anything.

I rarely use mine, though. Even when it is raining, unless it's raining hard, beause of the aerodynamics/slope of the windshield forcing the water off and out of view.

Black
    1997 KITT

Ok, so as weird as these wipers are, they also function terribly... I replaced the blades when I got it with the rain-x ones, and the driver side one doesn't even clean properly, it basically hops over it... I've tried to flex it in and out to see if it is stuck, but it doesn't seem to be, but it just sort of dangles on the end of the arm... It won't come off though and seems to be properly installed, but who knows...

SH

Thread Information