Thread: window problems

red black
    98Z28

Question window problems

Ok, on the 98Z the window has quit working properly. Have replaced the motor once but don't belive its the motor this time. Wife comes home tells me window just quit working. I think probably the switch( have had no slow down or up issues) go out to the car and you can hear the motor when you depress the switch but only for an instant and the window barely moves. If you had tried down and then try down again no motor noise or window movement. If you try up again motor noise for just an instant and just barely tell the window moved. This can be done over and over. Think something may be sticking just have not had a chance to pop the panel off and look yet. So am I probably right and something sticking or is there something else that may cause this. Oh by the way I finally turned over 200k miles.......

always dirty
    2013 Ram 2014 Caddy ATS

The track is most likely bent or needs to be geased. It stops because the breaker overheats and shuts down the system. Slim chance the motor is bad again but could be.

00 TA PWTR, 98 VertTA NBM
    80 TA BLK, 80 Formula NBM

ya i agree with bigron. . prob something with the track. youre just gonna have to take the door panel off and play with it. whered you get the new motor from?

red black
    98Z28

No, I would understand the heat protection but the thing only runs a fraction of a second. probably less than half a second. Will not run again in the same direction no matter how long you wait. Push the switch the other direction and again for less than a tenth of a second hear the motor and see just shake of the window. Can push the switch back and forth several times with the motor making its little noise and then stops. Window movement would be thousands of an inch like stuck. Guess I will see when I get time to remove the panel. No garage and bad weather. Best to leave it up. For now.

Motor was autozone a year and a half ago has been fine. Like I say have had no slow function. I think the window may have been stuck to seal because of cold and something binded but won't know till I look. Did not know if there is a limit switch that might cause this. But the first guy that did the motor job did a crappy job an I had someone else redo. They had to take the regulator out to do it right they said. Its been fine for the last year and a half.
    Last edited by 89RS&98Z28; 01-30-2009 at 01:10 PM.

always dirty
    2013 Ram 2014 Caddy ATS

When I did mine I took out the regulator too. It makes it easier to clean and regrease the track.

Quick Silver
    2002 Z06

I've seen the motors die like that. Its rare but possible. Make sure and post your findings for us!

Good luck!

Thread Information