Blue 1997 Trans Am(Sold)
    Pewter 2001 Trans Am Vert

Window Motor! plz help!

Well its finally happened, for the first time ever my passenger side window was going up and near the last 7/8 portion I stopped it and put the convertible top back up to then finishing lifting the window. I went to lift it to seal and it wouldn't go... I had to screw around with it for 5 minutes before I could get it to move again. Like an idiot I wanted to see if it was just a fluke so I lowered it again and this time it really wouldn't move.

So I left it for a half hour came back and it lifted right up no problem. I'm thinking this is the motor starting to show signs that its failing?... let me know if I'm wrong on this, I've had the car for nearly a year now and the passenger side has always been a bit slower then my driver side but never sluggish or anything. This was really out of the blue, I'm quite dissapointed...

Anyway, back to the fucking point... two questions is this the signs of a dieing motor and if so whats the best way to fix it... are there better motors out there or are we trapped to just stick with OEM motors?...

thanks for the help in advance

Sounds like a classic case of a dying window motor. I'd leave it in the up position until you replace it. Down here we replace them with an aftermarket unit with a lifetime warranty from a parts store like Autozone. You can replace it yourself, not too hard using one of the online guides.

Black
    2002 Camaro SS M6

i have had the same problem as you, but on a camaro 2002. i changed the motor out, twice, i returned the first one believing it was defective. and well, same shit. so another guy posted another fix in another thread. havent had a chance to try it out yet. but if you do it before me, tell me if it works.

http://www.ls1.com/forums/showthread.php?t=86083

-Rob

Blog Entries

09 EclipseGT 75 Chevy 4x4
    2001 Trans-Am 13 F-XT

I'm on my 3rd drivers side motor so far. OEM replacement died quick, but the autozone one is going good as new for the first year and a half so far.

00 TA PWTR, 98 VertTA NBM
    80 TA BLK, 80 Formula NBM

autotrix passenger window fix time. . . mine was doin the same thing and installed the window fix and it helluva lot better now (still have to have my car started to go up all the way). but best solution is probably to get a new motor and the window fix at the same time.

Blue 1997 Trans Am(Sold)

thanks guys it looks like I'm going to get the autotrix kit... but I think it might still be a good idea to replace the motor while I'm at it... wheres the best place to get them? someone mentioned something about one that has a lifetim warranty....?

i think the ones from autozone have good warranty, not sure about lifetime. you may pm autotrix and see where they recommend to get a motor from.

Blue 1997 Trans Am(Sold)

anyone else want to throw in their opinions on this... I'm just looking for the best motor with a good warranty..

Silver
    2002 Trans Am

I did this last year on mine - got a motor on ebay for like $25. Easy repair and I figure for $25 when it goes out again in a couple of years it wasn't worth the difference for a "lifetime" warranty.

Electric Blue Pearl
    2001 Trans Am

Ok, i say DO NOT buy from ebay. I also bought the lifetime warranty motors there. I needed 2 of them. I installed them both and the worked great....the first roll. One is still working and the second stopped the 2nd time I used the window and of course it was the driver's side. So, I decided not to waste my money again and I put the OEM one in. Now the driver's window rolls up twice as fast as the passenger's side. Just my 2 cents.

Blue 1997 Trans Am(Sold)

thanks Muteki sounds like some good advice...

Black
    2002 Camaro SS M6

Quote Originally Posted by GULLETT17 View Post
    autotrix passenger window fix time. . . mine was doin the same thing and installed the window fix and it helluva lot better now (still have to have my car started to go up all the way). but best solution is probably to get a new motor and the window fix at the same time.
    theres a kit that fixes this problem? where to i find autotrix?
    please disregard.
    Last edited by Insert; 05-29-2008 at 09:44 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Insert View Post
    click on sponsors at the top of the page, then there you will find their link. its only 30 bucks, and its a pretty easy install. its a must for our cars

Black
    2002 Camaro SS M6

thanks.

and sorry to jack thread. although it is related... i guess.

Quote Originally Posted by Bouvs View Post
    anyone else want to throw in their opinions on this... I'm just looking for the best motor with a good warranty..
    Buy window motor from any local parts distributer that has a life time guarantee. Purchasing local is the best way and usually costs around 50-60 dollars.

Quote Originally Posted by Insert View Post
    please disregard.
    Passenger window fix:http://www.autotrix.net/product_page...indow_fix.html

Products list: www.autotrix.net/products.html

Quote Originally Posted by GULLETT17 View Post
    click on sponsors at the top of the page, then there you will find their link. its only 30 bucks, and its a pretty easy install. its a must for our cars
    Thanks for the recommendation

Got passenger window problems?
    http://www.autotrix.net
    **Window Express Down Modules now availible**
    http://www.autotrix.net/products.html

Some advice from an fbody owner of almost 10 years with stock power window motors:

1) Keep the rubber seals around your windows lubricated with GM weatherstripping lubricant to decrease friction.

2) Always have your car running when operating the windows - especially when going up. When not running, the window motors might not be getting full operating voltage from your battery and lack of proper voltage can decrease the life of your window motor quite significantly.

3) Open your door if possible to speed up the window when they are going up. This makes a huge difference, especially if you don't follow step #1.

Quick Silver
    2002 Z06

Quote Originally Posted by 99vader View Post
    Some advice from an fbody owner of almost 10 years with stock power window motors:

1) Keep the rubber seals around your windows lubricated with GM weatherstripping lubricant to decrease friction.

2) Always have your car running when operating the windows - especially when going up. When not running, the window motors might not be getting full operating voltage from your battery and lack of proper voltage can decrease the life of your window motor quite significantly.

3) Open your door if possible to speed up the window when they are going up. This makes a huge difference, especially if you don't follow step #1.
    Good advice!!

Do you have a part number on that lubrication? Does it soak up in the seals? I assume it also protects them so they don't shrink up?

Having the car running is a + with the Window Fix kit this is no longer a requirment.

How many miles are on your car Vader?

Slow Passenger Window - Want Passenger Express Down - Tired of Replacing DayTime Running Light Bulbs

Camaro Owners Click Here
    Firebird Owners Click Here

Need instructions to replace your F-Body window motor?
    www.AutoTrix.net

Thread Information