Thread: Window Help

Awaiting Activation

Black
    2000 WS6

Window Help

My driver's side window is having problems. It will work to start with but it will start to slow down and then quit all together. If a wait 20-30mins it will work again but only for a few seconds and it will stop again.
    Any suggestions? I'm going to check the fuses tonight but I doubt it would cause this.

Welcome to the club - sounds like the classic bad window motor. Mine did the same thing. Get one with a lifetime warranty and never have to pay for one again. I used http://shbox.com/page/windowmotor.html

Awaiting Activation

Black
    2000 WS6

Thanks, I thought thats what it might be but I wasn't sure. Is this an easy install?
    It kind of good timing b/c I have to put my new speakers in next week any way.

It's not too bad, take your time and if you get frustrated, take a break and just think about all the $$$ you're saving by not paying someone to do it.

black
    1999 Formula

Install is very easy, do make sure that the rivets that mount the regulator to the door have not dug into the fiberglass and made the holes to big. This happened to me and causes the regulator to Slip and makes it impossible to get a tight seal at top of the window. Going to try something tomorrow to fix this. Anyone else have this problem? solutions???

Kurt

Navy Blue
    ls1 trans am

Red face

I would go to autozone and get the one with the lifetime warranty.. it will run you about 75 if Im not mistaken. It seems to be a bit faster and I had about 4 of the factory ones put in under warranty and about teh same in my firebird. Install isnt that bad but was really frustrating for me I had trouble getting the rivets off.
    dodgerman, I had the same problem what I ended up having to do is have a shop cut a metal sheet that would reinforce the fiberglass and to hold the motor on tight without sliping down from the excess fiberglass that was removed. I wouldnt try to mount it without it because over time the motor will keep making the hole in the fiberglass bigger when it is being moved up and down. This is how a local auto shop told me to fix it there might be antother way but this has worked great for me.

black
    1999 Formula

Jehalin- so did you put the sheet metal on the inner part of the frame where the regulator is, or on the visible side? Then did you just bolt the regulator through the door and sheet metal and secure with bolts, nuts and washer? Also, will removing the rivets that mount the regulator to the fiberglass, cause the spring to uncoil? Thanks for the info,

Kurt

Awaiting Activation

Black
    2000 WS6

Thanks guys, I stopped by advance auto parts today and picked up a new motor and I'm going to work on it next week some time.

Thread Information