Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

White
    2000 Formula

Will LS6 Intake help me???

Hello!
    New to the forum, and a NEW owner to a 2000 Firebird Formula! I have a question....
    I want to make my LS1 breathe better, and I have started to do some mods (SLP lid, Free Ram Air) My question is will a LS6 intake help my performance without doing any exhaust mods at this time ?(Bought the car with a Flowmaster and thats it) AND if it will help, I am assuming i will need to do a basic tune, because of no egr....correct? Thanks for the help. Great Site!

98 Formula
    06 duramax

You would see very little gains for the dollar spent on an LS6 intake. I would do headers first...much more bang for the buck. Is your car an auto or manual? If it's an auto do a stall first, by far the biggest bang for the buck on an auto car.

ps
    welcome to the forum

red
    2000 camaro ss

you really wont see a substantial seat-of-the pants gain until you reach about 400 horse. 400 wheel is 'bout where the ls1 manifold just stops workin on top of stock cubes. . . .get LT's, a cam, then the manifold. BBK manifold is best "mainstream" manifold for N/A setup IMHO and they are "cheap".

-as far as a tune, it all depends on how many parts you wanna get and how long you think it will take to get parts. once you get LT's your car is gonna want a tune to maximize the power potential, but it can be put off til you get other parts you want like a cam, the intake manifold. once you are satisfied with your parts, or wont get any more for a whlie, get the tune.
    Last edited by side2000; 12-18-2008 at 07:23 AM.

pewter
    2000 camaro ss

Quote Originally Posted by formugeist View Post
    Hello!
    New to the forum, and a NEW owner to a 2000 Firebird Formula! I have a question....
    I want to make my LS1 breathe better, and I have started to do some mods (SLP lid, Free Ram Air) My question is will a LS6 intake help my performance without doing any exhaust mods at this time ?(Bought the car with a Flowmaster and thats it) AND if it will help, I am assuming i will need to do a basic tune, because of no egr....correct? Thanks for the help. Great Site!
    I'll be glad to answer your question.

YES, you will see gains with this intake. And the cool thing is when you are ready to start adding other power adders, like headers, it will make everything flow in and out the engine that much better.

You are able to buy ls6 intakes from SLP, and I think another company has them with the EGR if you don't want to mess with that. I've also seen and read about people simply drilling a hole in the intake for the EGR.

Now as for the tune, what are your future mod plans, if any? If you just want to do the intake and keep it like that for a while, I would find someone to give you a tune so you can squeeze out every HP you can. And most tuners will give you a good deal if you go back to them for a second tuning.

Hope this helps

hugger orange

I hate to say it, but I kind of agree with everyone above.
    I'd say keep your eyes out for a used ls6 intake, and only get one if its a great deal.
    I doubt you would get much of a gain from just an intake upgrade, but it will get you closer to making more power when you mod more.
    look on ebay, here in the for sale section and try some other sites.
    for more bang for the buck I'd start with putting a set of long tube headers. you can get off brand stainless on ebay for really cheap.
    do you know what series the flowmaster muffler is? if its an 80 series its a 3 chamber...they are more restrictive than the 2 or single chamber mufflers (more chambers less sound)

White
    2000 Formula

Thanks for all the replies......I actually have a LS6 intake in my posession. I got a really good deal on it. I just didn't want to go thru all the trouble swapping intake when I am not prepared to do exhaust mods at this time. Right now the car is a DD, and I just wanted to run good and get decent fuel mileage. Thanks again

hugger orange

Thanks for all the replies......I actually have a LS6 intake in my posession. I got a really good deal on it. I just didn't want to go thru all the trouble swapping intake when I am not prepared to do exhaust mods at this time. Right now the car is a DD, and I just wanted to run good and get decent fuel mileage. Thanks again
    you have 2 (i think) steam lines that run under your stock intake. on the ls6 intake you need to grind some ribs on the bottem of it to clear those lines. if you can stand to have the SES light on ti you get a tune, just unhook and plug off the AIR and egr tubes and vacuum hoses.

i know i can have my intake off and the whole car back together in under an hour....your would take alittle longer because of the mods that are needed, but still should beable to have it all done in a couple of hours....its a very easy swap if you have any mechanical skills.

On your ass flashing
    my highbeams

Heres a thread I started on another site it will link you to everything you need to know.
    http://www.ls1tech.com/forums/genera...d-install.html

98 Formula
    06 duramax

Instead of grinding the ribs you can get an ls6 front tube and block off plugs for the rear ports and not have to mess with the grinding.

Red
    2001 Trash Can

The swap is very easy, just watch out for that oil pressure sending unit cause the brake booster hose tends to catch it and break it off!

On your ass flashing
    my highbeams

Quote Originally Posted by 01ws6er View Post
    The swap is very easy, just watch out for that oil pressure sending unit cause the brake booster hose tends to catch it and break it off!
    You have to break it to know what everyone is talking about, it's a right of passage

White
    2000 Formula

Thanks, I guess its one of those things that if I sell it, I'll regret doing it. I will hang on to it. The most I see doing to the car is the intake, port the the TB, headers and exhaust. Thanks again for all of the advice!

red
    2002 z/28

I've been saving for a FAST 92/92.Does anyone know if there are any install surprises for that intake?

pewter
    2000 camaro ss

Thanks, I guess its one of those things that if I sell it, I'll regret doing it. I will hang on to it. The most I see doing to the car is the intake, port the the TB, headers and exhaust. Thanks again for all of the advice!
    you'd be crazy NOT to install the intake, its a major upgrade to the ls1... that's why GM started using it the last few years of the ls1..

red
    2000 camaro ss

well damn if ya got one install that whore. you still wont see huge gains without more mods but. . . .ya got one. . ."might as well"

blue
    99 firebird formula 06GTO

Quote Originally Posted by c5z28 View Post
    You have to break it to know what everyone is talking about, it's a right of passage
    x2 on that cause thats how many i've broke...

PEWETER METALIC
    2002 CAMARO Z-28 M-6

Quote Originally Posted by crazy dave ls1 View Post
    I've been saving for a FAST 92/92.Does anyone know if there are any install surprises for that intake?
    I have the 90/90 I bought used on my car, so long as you have a 01-02 car and use the valley cover bolts that fast supplies you should be fine! The map sensor doesn't fit too snug in the back of the intake but I rigged a zip tie to hold it in just incase. Other than that very straight forward!

On your ass flashing
    my highbeams

without cam the power increase is dismal but worth the experience, if you can delete the egr from the computer so it won't act up on you.

Just a souped up sunfire. Ryans99LS1's Avatar

SOM
    99 Trans Am

do it. its a very very easy install. youll notice more pull up top and will just help future mods. grinding the ribs is no big deal, takes a few min.

black
    2000 pontiac trans am

I have the LS6 intake manifold on my car, but i also have long tube headers and a corsa exhaust. I would differently work on the exhaust first, whatever mods you chose to do next will probably pay off more in the long run.

Thread Information