Thread: Wideband?

silver
    1999 Z-28 camaro

Wideband?

Hey all, what is this "wideband" I hear about, something to do with o2 sensors? This winter I'm going to do LT's, ORY, and either loudmouth or GMMG cat back. I'd assume with the ORY I need to do something with the rear sensors. [I know i can delete them with a tune]

Black & Blue
    '02 WS.6 / '07 Suburban

A wideband is a tool used to read your cars air/fuel ratio. The factory sensors are narrowband and their signal can not really be utilized to determine your A/F due to the signal type. There are many aftermarket wideband sensors available and some have the capability of interfacing with tuning software. You can check out any Summit or Jegs to see examples. In addition to a gauge, the wideband also utilizes a different sender that must be installed in the exhaust system, and there are both single and dual channel models available so you can read both engine banks with one gauge.

Black
    2001 WS6 Trans Am

So do you have to have a dual channel??? Or will a single channel at the end of the ORY pipe work?? I am looking at the innovate stand alone complete kit.
    Thanks... Anybody else have insight on the widebadn meter kits?? There are a little pricey for a guage,sensor and weld-in bung...

Black & Blue
    '02 WS.6 / '07 Suburban

Installation is generally in the collector on the headers, or on the downtube if still equipped with stock manifolds. The sensor is installed before the cats if they are present. Is dual channel absolutely necessary? Depends on what you are doing. Just to keep tabs on things a single sensor would probably be adequate imo.

ʢ ൧ ൨ ൩ ൪ ൫ ൬ ൭ ൮Ր Ց Ւ Փ Smittro's Avatar

White
    2008 Hummer H3

Multiple wide band sensors are really not nessasary, and the set ups that come with a gauge are really mostly just icing on the cake, since most good stand alone ECM's come with the ability to monitor and control the AFR directly from the unit itself from a single wide band 02..
    :\Users\Steven\Pictures\d6ftg5nh.gif

Suggestion: If you are particularly irritated by another member's posting habits and are constantly fighting the urge to flame them, you can click on that person's profile, and select "Add to ignore list." This will make that person's posts invisible to you.

silver
    1999 Z-28 camaro

thanks guys, so they're not really necessary for a mild car? just o2 sim or delte with a tune is fine?

Black & Blue
    '02 WS.6 / '07 Suburban

Quote Originally Posted by ESBdieselcam View Post
    thanks guys, so they're not really necessary for a mild car? just o2 sim or delte with a tune is fine?

If you are talking about the rear O2 sensors, then yes, they can be deleted with a tune or a plug in sim. The front sensors provide the PCM with feedback to adjust the A/F. The rear sensors simply monitor catalytic efficiency and may be deleted without having any effect on the way the engine runs.

Thread Information