Blue
    2000 Trans Am

Wide Band 02 Reading

Hey All - My friend installed an autometer wide band 02 gauge/sensor and is having a lean condition (pinging over 5500rpm @ WOT and a lean code for one bank). Its a kenne bell s/c'd mustang, but my question is on the gauge.

Anyway, my question is for any of you guys running wide bands, what is your average reading while cruising around? His gauge is reading pretty steady 15.0 when crusing in any gear at a constant 2000 rpm. I have no experience with these gauges, but that seems like it would be a bit on the lean side, but maybe im wrong. Just trying to figure out if he has an overall lean condition, or just at WOT.

Any info is appreciated.

98 Formula
    06 duramax

14.7 is stoich, actually it's like 14.63 I think but 14.7 is what everyone goes by. What's his afr during wot?

Blue
    2000 Trans Am

I know 14.7 is stoich....i was wondering what other gauges were reading at a steady rpm, under no load. AFR under WOT at the top end is as high as 13.5, based on his eye when driving. Hard to confirm, but anything in the 13s is way too lean when running 8 lbs of boost.

98 Formula
    06 duramax

well, mine reads 14.7 cruising. 13.5 is way to lean as you said. Does he have means to tune the car or has it been tuned?

Blue
    2000 Trans Am

Thanks.... I would expect a well tuned EFI car to read 14.7 on a steady cruise, but w/o ever using a wide band i wasnt sure if i was wrong. He runs the Kenne Bell program that is designed for the kit on the car (he bought it with all the work done). Kenne Bell tech kept telling him not to get it tuned, and that their program is spot on, dont worry what the gauge/dyno #'s are....

He had the car on the dyno, and their AFR was reading way lean, but there was no sign of detonation. Thats why he bought the wideband - Then a few months after that it threw a lean code, and then he took it to the track and it started to ping......so my thought was the tune was on, but he has an issue somewhere, maybe a vacuum leak, bad sensor, losing fuel pressure....

Any other input on the wideband would be appreciated.

Thread Information