Black | Black
    '07 Z06 | '98 WS6

Why can't my car hold a charge???

My car simply cannot keep any juice in the battery. If it sits for a day, it will not start the next. It starts right up with a jump. It's odd though, I can have it on a battery charger all night, then I'll disconnect it and let it sit for a day, and it won't start up, dead as its ever been. It's an Optima Battery, about a year and 2 months old. What gives???

I'd bring it back to where you bought it and have them load test it - free 3yr replacement warranty if it's the battery. Eliminate the battery being the problem first. Is the voltage normal on the gauge when it's running?

Navy Blue Metallic
    2002 Z28

Yep, definatly get that battery tested

RED 35TH ANIVERSARY PKG
    2002 CAMARO SS 35th LE

i would say the Alternator.... but first check to see if the battery is in working condition.. if the battery is okay then its probl.. you alternator..

always dirty
    2013 Ram 2014 Caddy ATS

are there any lights that are staying on? check the console and glove box to make sure when they are closed the light goes off.

Other than the battery possibly having a bad cell drag it down, I would check for an excessive amp draw with the key off. Like a light being on or some module that isnt falling asleep.

If you google "Parasitic Drain Test" or current draw you should find methods of hooking up your DVOM in series with the negative side of the battery and check the mA drain. There should not be anything (in general) over .41 mA

Hope this helps!

Got passenger window problems?
    http://www.autotrix.net
    **Window Express Down Modules now availible**
    http://www.autotrix.net/products.html

SS: NBM, tan top
    1998-SS, 2010 Jetta TDI

its gotta be ur battery, if it was the alternator ur car would stall out quick, could be the voltage regulator on the alternator possibly if the battery is good, and if the car doesnt stall

Black | Black
    '07 Z06 | '98 WS6

No stalling, once it starts its fine. But how could the battery be bad? I just got it like a year ago...

Light Pewter Metallic
    2001 camaro Z28

Cool

i have the same problem. wouldnt start this morning on my way to work and wouldnt start when i got off a while ago. when i jump it it reads fine on the voltage

Black
    2000 WS6 6spd Hooker LT

+3 on the most probable cause is a bad battery. Also slim chance it is some kinda electrical drain on it. Get the battery charged, then have it load tested.

Navy Blue Metallic
    2002 Z28

Quote Originally Posted by CWW17 View Post
    No stalling, once it starts its fine. But how could the battery be bad? I just got it like a year ago...
    Could have left something on that caused the battery to drain, then since the battery was dead, all of the electrolyte turned to water, causing it to freeze. Ta da, crap battery.

2005 GTO M6 Black
    2000 Z28 A4 Red

Quote Originally Posted by CWW17 View Post
    Could be just a defective battery or you have something wrong with your charging system that would kill the battery such as bad alternator, corroded connections, fuse etc.

Mines doing the same thing. Replaced the battery with the Optima Red top and tada, still the same thing. As far as I know there is nothing staying on. Did you every find out what was causing the problems? I hate to have to jump it everytime it sits for a couple of days

06 Jeep Grand Cherokee.
    02 superchipsZ28 M6(sold)

get running and pull the positive battery cable off if it goes dead you need alternator buddy. be sure to cut the car off before reconnecting cable.

Black
    2000 WS6 6spd Hooker LT

Quote Originally Posted by bamaz28 View Post
    get running and pull the positive battery cable off if it goes dead you need alternator buddy. be sure to cut the car off before reconnecting cable.
    Bad advice here. You do not want to do this with today's cars. Do this instead: With the engine running, you should have over 13 volts on the battery terminals. Preferably over 14, not more than 15.1, with all accessories, lights, etc. off. You do not want voltage spikes in these cars, that can cause other weird electrical things to happen that were never there before a huge spike like disconnecting the battery with the engine on. It might not cause a problem every time, but there are much better ways to do things than disconnecting the battery with the engine on.

Black | Black
    '07 Z06 | '98 WS6

It was just a shitty, half-assed battery. They took the good battery, and replaced it with a shitty, half-assed battery.

Black
    2002 Formula Firehawk

More than likely you have a bad ground somewhere which is causing an electrical component to pull
    power from battery. Also check battery terminals as they might be corroded. I had the same problem with my old lt1 and I changed the battery like 2 times. Not intill I checked all ground connections and changed the battery terminals was the problem fixed
    Victor
    2000 z28 A4
    2002 Formula Firehawk M6

Black
    98 Trans Am

When mine was doing it, drove me up the wall. Turned out to be corrosion...get this...hidden under that red "positive" insulation thingy on the end of the positive cable! The end looked clean until I took the batt connection bolt out...slid the red insulator off...and the cable was caked under there with corrosion, which you couldn't see with it on. Used a dremel wire brush to clean it off, gave it a coat of vasaline, put the red insulator back on and the batt terminal bolt back in the hole and reconnected the battery, and the problem went away! The amazing thing about it was when the system was load tested, etc., when I was having the problems, everything would check out okay...go figure...!

Thread Information