black
    97 camaro

Who has done some off the free mods?

I fownd these mod's at (www.ultimateresourceguides.com) and ive seen them at several other web pages. Now im wondering who has done some off these mod's and how they might have worked out for you?

www.ultimateresourceguides.com
    Free mods LS1, free mods Firebird, Camaro

GAIN 5 HORSEPOWER THIS WEEKEND
    For Almost No Money Spent

by Nathan Morris

If you're looking for free & cheap ways to increase the horsepower output of your engine - I've got just the thing for you.

I want to share with you 6 cheap or in some cases, even free ways that you can gain horsepower.

I hope that you will enjoy these 6 awesome modifications for your car, and without further delay - let's get started!

Modification Number One: Index Your Plugs

The next time you are doing a tune-up on your ride, be sure to take note of this modification. By simply installing your plugs in a particular way, you will pick up roughly 1 whp, dyno proven time and time again.

As illustrated above, in order to perform this mod, mark the side on which the "open end" of the spark plug faces. Proceed to install them as you normally would, except when the plug is hand-tight (that is, you've screwed it in without a ratchet as far as it'll go), use your ratchet to tighten the plug until the open end of the plug, faces the intake side of your cylinder head. That's it!

Modification Number Two: Insulate Fuel Lines

Under-hood engine heat is a serious performance robber in almost all cars. Not only does the under-hood heat cause performance loss by heating up the intake air, but it also causes performance loss by heating up the fuel lines. Cooler fuel will help cool the intake charge, as well as provide for a better overall mixture.

In order to get this stolen power back, simply go down to your local hardware store and purchase a roll of refrigerator and air conditioning insulation. Wrap all of your under-hood fuel lines with the insulation to keep the cool in, and the hot out.

Modification Number Three: Relocate IAT Sensor

In most fuel injected vehicles you will find a sensor that measures intake air temperature. You will need to refer to your factory service manual to find its location.

At any rate, it is very typical to find the IAT sensor mounted inside the intake plenum that is very often heated heavily by coolant and the cylinder head. This is fine of course, since the original equipment manufacturer designed it to work this way. However, there is a way to "trick" the engine computer into thinking that the incoming air is a little cooler than it really is, and therefore get the ECU to advance the timing a small amount and increase fuel supply at the same time.

In most mildly modified vehicles, this will create a more desirable fuel and ignition map and create a few extra horsepower.

In order to perform this mod, simply locate the sensor and remove it from the intake manifold. Fill in the hole with JB weld and proceed to remount the sensor somewhere in the intake arm. Seal everything up well, and you're done.

Modification Number Four: Synthetic Oil

In the past 3 years I have been running various types of oils through my engines and have found that for the most part - all oils are the same, power wise. However, Synthetic oils definitely make more power over standard "dino" oils. In fact, I have consistently seen anywhere from 2-3hp across the rev range from using a true synthetic versus a standard oil.

Therefore, next time you change oils, switch to synthetic. Even on a high mileage engine, it works wonders. It is also a far better lubricant and protector of your engine.

Modification Number Five: Increase H2O Ratio In Coolant

If it weren't for corrosion and freezing concerns, automotive makers would use pure water to cool your vehicle. Straight water cools better than coolant any day of the week, and a cooler engine is always going to produce more horsepower.

Instead of a typical half and half ratio, try 40/60. However, NEVER use pure water, as this may cause premature corrosion which will cause a costly repair bill. You may also try water wetter to further enhance the effect, but be cautioned that water wetter should only be used for track purposes.

Modification Number Six: Throttle Body Coolant Bypass

This one I saved for last, and for good reason. This is perhaps one of the best modifications that you can do for basically nothing. As you'll see in the dyno below, which is of my Integra LS motor in a 92 Civic hatchback, before and after: I got back almost 10ft-lbs of torque over the entire rev range. 10ft-lbs that was present in the engine when completely cool, but once at operating temperature was no longer available. This is good for about 0.2 seconds in the quarter mile in my particular vehicle - needless to say I'm very pleased with this modification.

Above you see a diagram of how coolant normally flows through a throttle body (illustration is from an Accord). All you need to do on any vehicle is to take those two coolant lines, disconnect them from the throttle body and connect them with a coupler available in the vacuum hose section of your auto parts store. It's basically two nipples connected to each other that allow you to connect two pieces of coolant hose.

If you have problems with erratic idle afterwards. You will need to find your fast idle (or idle air control valve), and disable it by blocking it off or somehow keeping it closed. This occurs mostly in Hondas to my knowledge, and it's pretty hard to explain in a "universal" manor.

Sold: LS1 '85 El Camino ls1camino's Avatar

2000 Grand Prix GTP
    2000 Trans Am WS6 M6

I do/did all but the index of the spark plugs...I guess I'll do that one when I do my H/C/I swap next week.

black
    97 camaro

well how did you like the ones you did? im wanting to get feedback so i know if they are good to do?

Sebring Silver
    2000 CamaroSS

The guy that wrote that water cools better than coolant is a retard

Indexing plugs requires special washers & a dyno to do it properly
    Last edited by rbob93; 04-01-2009 at 02:04 AM.

98 Formula
    06 duramax

I'm a little skeptical over the .2 gain from doing a TB bypass. Either way, these are cheap/free mods and it definitely wouldn't hurt to do them.

Black & Blue
    '02 WS.6 / '07 Suburban

Is there any drawback to the TB bypass? I assume that in cold, damp weather icing could be a potential problem as the moist air enters the metal throttle body and condenses/freezes. Is this right?

1999 Formula WS6 M6-sold
    2001 Silverado Z71

I've the synthetic oil and tb coolant bypass "mods"
    The others worthless IHMO

Onyx Black
    2002 SLP Camaro SS

Quote Originally Posted by pajeff02 View Post
    Is there any drawback to the TB bypass? I assume that in cold, damp weather icing could be a potential problem as the moist air enters the metal throttle body and condenses/freezes. Is this right?
    Done this mod to my Corvette & SS and never had a problem and you will note I live in Pa also

competition yellow
    1999 camaro m6

Quote Originally Posted by pajeff02 View Post
    that why they do it because some people drive there cars in the winter but on warm days it would be fine

Thread Information