Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

red
    2002 ss camaro

who has the best meth kit

who has the best meth kit for sale with tank and how often would I have to fill the tank if it were 2 or so gallons and what should I run in it? I've heard alot of different things.

PEWTER
    99 TRANS AM

LOL, make it at home.
    Seriously, I like the Snow performance. Never had any problems, it will shut off automatically when the pressure falls below a centain point, and can be wired up to control a boost control.

Red
    '01 Silverado

yea i would say snow i have heard good things about them

red
    2002 ss camaro

ha ha very funny yes if I wanted meth I have probably forgotten more than any of you know. but yes I was speaking about methanol....

Retired Outlaw Sum Bitch

LS1.com Sponsor
    GM Tuner

Snow's lines and fittings are garbage. They are cheap stab-in industrial air lines. There pumps have many parts that are sensitive to pure methanol as well. Julio's Alkycontrol kit (alkycontrol.com) uses the same pumps, but he rebuilds them all by hand up front with different seals and a few other goodies to make them live under pure meth. Out of the 2-3 dozen FI guys I know/have tuned with Snow systems have had to send their pumps back for failure. The Alkycontrol kit comes with all braided lines and brass fittings rather than stab-in air lines that like to come loose. The Alkycontrol kit comes with a modified washer tank that has a low level indicator so you can see when the meth gets low. It also has a two-state LED (red/green) to show the state of operation. When the feed line is not primed but the pump runs, the light is red. When the line fills with meth to the nozzle, a pressure switch is made and the light is green to let you know that it's working like it should be. Alkycontrol's controller has more tuning/config options as well; on top of being able to set the boost turn-on level in psi (which Snow's kit supports) you can also set initial pump volume (not on Snow's) on top of adjusting the ramp rate.

IMO, if you have the $$ into a turbo setup, there is no need to skimp on quality for price in the area of your meth setup.

Retired Outlaw Sum Bitch

Well I appreciate your input but must respond.....I also have been involved in a few installs etc....seen both kits....have never seen the "hoses falling off" you mention and have only seen machined fittings and braided hoses....so I don't know what kit your talking about....I also am involved in some of the top door slammers and altered cars in the NHRA down here....all run Snow...why? Because snow has proven it works very reliably over 1200HP......But as I always say...research yourself.....talk to folks that use the various solutions you are looking for...and make a informed decision.....the link below is to a comparison chart.....of course the 2nd row is AlkyControl......
    http://www.snowperformance.net/why_buy_snow.php
    Last edited by Sarge; 06-08-2008 at 04:58 AM.

LS1.com Sponsor
    GM Tuner

Wow a comparison chart of systems MADE BY SNOW, it must be all true! Actually no, no it isn't.

the Snow kit you linked shows the red crappy plastic line all rolled up; where is the braided hose you say it has? I am 100% sure they are stab in air-fittings because I have replaced more than 2 or 3 and I get them from a local industrial supplier for less than a dollar each and they are the same fittings that come with the kit. In the kit you linked you can see the air fitting immediately left of the rolled up plastic feed line, it's the little silver thing with the 90deg black PLASTIC elbow on it. Maybe for the cars you have worked on you are getting something better than the consumer-quality kit they sell (the one you linked at Nelson's site) on the net though, it sounds like it just from the difference in the feed line alone.

I also outlined the controller difference in my other post, the turn-on volume is very useful but lacking from Snow's controller, especially for positive-displacement blowers that come on fast and need the high initial volume to keep IATs from jumping.

I'm not trying to be difficult, I have just had more than one bad experience with Snow's systems.

Retired Outlaw Sum Bitch

The comparison chart I put there so you could respond to it. Not as gospel of any kind but a chart that Snow says are the differences....so what do you say? Nelson ( a strong sponsor/supporter of LS1.COM) makes his own hoses/fittings for everything he installs.
    So at the end of the day....we have two systems and as I said before the Snow is used far and away by more serious performance folks for reason....the chart is there for you to challenge the delta's between the two....I try and "discuss" this things not on "in my experience" statements but get something more definitive and rational for folks to discuss specific delta's......no telling how old that picture is.....we had one in the shop the other day and it didn't have those hoses......if that is your major hard on with Snow I think you may need to start developing another as that doesn't stick....

Retired Outlaw Sum Bitch

And for the record Frost....I respect your opinion.

LS1.com Sponsor
    GM Tuner

Sorry I am looking wireless from a car I am tuning on so I don't have time at this moment to break it all down. The column 2 in that chart is certainly Aqua mist or something... there is no Q in alkycontrol. Some of the items in that chart are also a bit laughable like "magazine tested", "most different kinds of kits available", "we sell additives too" etc...

The bigger headache than the lines is their pump failure when using straight meth. I could drag a dozen users of the kit over from from another LS1 site that had their snow pumps fail too. Alkycontrol uses the SAME pumps, but they are all rebuilt with appropriate parts for pure meth and tested by hand.

Sorry to be short, I'm on someone else's dime.

Retired Outlaw Sum Bitch

Yeah....I could drag a few guys over who have been running Snow kits forever....but instead I have been Googling and reading.......seems if you type in any brand and the word "sucks" you get lots of hits. What I have seen in failures is A) shitty wiring that caused the pump to fail....ie....dip shits crimp wires instead of soldering B) I know this sounds crazy but many flat ass let their tank run dry....C) Wrong mixture of water/meth....not hoses falling off or one brand versus another.....if any kit is properly installed and tuned a guy can count on a long success.....Yup...aint marketing fun?! AlkyControl has "we tested it on many race cars" on their website. WTF does that mean anyway? Oh well....all of them are gonna use whatever marketing shit they can get away with. Magazines or unnamed non documented "race car testing"....who gives a shit
    Last edited by Sarge; 06-08-2008 at 07:52 AM.

Retired Outlaw Sum Bitch

And you think your busy tuning? I gotta take Mama to the grocery store.....

Retired Outlaw Sum Bitch

OK...we got enough in the fridge's and freezers to feed an army....tell you what I thought of following Mama around the store....(besides she has one world class ass) Magnuson is using my new Silverado 5.3L variable valve as the test mule for a a blower cam/122H blower/Nelson Tune .....of course we are also putting on some shorties and a higher flow muffler......GM HighTech is also gonna be involved and document the build and tune.....I'm going to order a AlkyControl kit....take the pump apart and have a look....compare both kits....AlkyControl wont have a clue who I am so nobody can say they had a heads up If all looks even or at the least on par with Snow I'll put the AlkyControl kit on the truck......hey they will get some press in GMHighTech and wont even have to pay for it I'll do a side by side (pics) of both kits. Blower is coming (along with some trannie beef parts and a trannie cooler) so I would say maybe two weeks.

Retired Outlaw Sum Bitch

PS: Nobody can say I am closed minded....I am always open to learning/finding something better.......

Retired Outlaw Sum Bitch

....but I am really an asshole in real life also....

PEWTER
    99 TRANS AM

Seems like snow has the same problems as STS. People that install them dont really know what they are doing.Just because it comes in the box doesn't mean you should use it. I wolud NEVER,NEVER,NEVER not put braided lines on a pump that is pumping 100psi.
    I put a little thought in it before installing.
    Just my 2 cents
    Have installed 20+ meth systems from many companies with ZERO problems.I even make some of my own kits using EFI fuel pumps and regulators.

PEWTER
    99 TRANS AM

Dont meam to knock anyone here.I just thought the more input people look at the better off they will be.
    Do your homework and read all you can(belive half of what you read and half of what you see), and you will get good insight.
    Frost why are you always the frist one on here to bash what you dont use.If the pump Alky uses has to be rebuilded before you can use it, I would like to know why dont they do their homework a find something that is right for that app.

Retired Outlaw Sum Bitch

Quote Originally Posted by 99transamC/FIA View Post
    Seems like snow has the same problems as STS. People that install them dont really know what they are doing.Just because it comes in the box doesn't mean you should use it. I wolud NEVER,NEVER,NEVER not put braided lines on a pump that is pumping 100psi.
    I put a little thought in it before installing.
    Just my 2 cents
    Have installed 20+ meth systems from many companies with ZERO problems.I even make some of my own kits using EFI fuel pumps and regulators.
    Jesus H Christ...am I talking to myself? I repeat....I have never seen a Nelson Snow kit without braided lines. I have never seen a Nelson Snow kit with some red rubber hose. My point through this entire thing!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Retired Outlaw Sum Bitch

Quote Originally Posted by 99transamC/FIA View Post
    Dont meam to knock anyone here.I just thought the more input people look at the better off they will be.
    Do your homework and read all you can(belive half of what you read and half of what you see), and you will get good insight.
    Frost why are you always the frist one on here to bash what you dont use.If the pump Alky uses has to be rebuilded before you can use it, I would like to know why dont they do their homework a find something that is right for that app.
    That is what I am going to find out.

Thread Information