SOM
    2002 SS

White residue inside exhaust tips???????????????????

I've noticed it a few times not all the time. It's intermittent just like the stumbling I've been having at cruising speeds in 6th. I'm starting to wonder if they are related some how. I'll get some pics when I can.

The stumbling stopped after I changed my fuel filter but I feel it stumbling or hesitating in the gas pedal and the sotp meter still. The code was low voltage driver bank (lean).

02 sensor seems to be working correctly (not slow and varying just like pass bank).

No race gas car is stock with kooks lts and kooks catted y. Crane 1.82 roller rockers.

Yesterday i felt ever so slight hesitation and sure enough the service engine light flashed and stayed on. Today it went out.

Thoughts?

Last edited by 5abivt; 05-30-2011 at 06:41 AM.

Black & Blue
    '02 WS.6 / '07 Suburban

Have you checked your fuel pressure?

SOM
    2002 SS

I haven't. The code only pops under cruising conditions, wouldn't it be using very little fuel? Even then the code only pops on drivers side

Black & Blue
    '02 WS.6 / '07 Suburban

Has the MAF been cleaned lately?

SOM
    2002 SS

Check ya I cleaned the maf and o2 while I was at it.

ʢ ൧ ൨ ൩ ൪ ൫ ൬ ൭ ൮Ր Ց Ւ Փ Smittro's Avatar

White
    2008 Hummer H3

Quote Originally Posted by 5abivt View Post
    Check ya I cleaned the maf and o2 while I was at it.
    Not sure you should clean the 02's...

SOM
    2002 SS

I used an o2 safe cleaner and just wiped the outside I didn't spray inside it. I pulled it out just to see if it was fouled.

All the drivers bank plugs are fouled rich but I'm assuming it's from the ECM adding fuel to compensate the lean code.

SOM
    2002 SS

Anyone have an idea what the white residue could be? I'm not burning coolant that I know of. Temps are in check. Everything I google says race gas does it but I only use 91/94 available everywhere here.

Here my 02 fluctuations..

http://m.youtube.com/index?desktop_u...?v=gT6tH8bp07o

11 years of bangin gears cammed goat's Avatar

Phantom Black Metallic
    2004 GTO M6

Did you pull the upstream or downstream O2 sensor. I only ask as my car had a PO136 for bank 1, sensor 2. I replaced the driver's rear O2 and the light went out. Cleared the code and all is well. Keep us posted.

SOM
    2002 SS

It's pre cat bank 1 sensor 1 so upstream of cat. I didn't really want to shell out $180 for an 02 if it's not the problem if you know what I mean. Trying to rule out exhaust leak first before I buy an 02.

Few weeks ago well after the issue started I did go to install air delete plates on the headers and found the gaskets destroyed. I ordered new ones still hbe to get little gaskets in there but the code is still the same drivers side only.

I have noticed a slight trend. Yesterday on the way home I was babying it. Getting on the freeway easy and hitting cruise at 75mph she was smooth as silk for the 8 miles or so. Not even a slight hesitation. Somedays when I hit the on ramps hard before I get on the freeway or I'm just blowing the doors off fellow co-workers I notice it seems to happen. Once I hit cruise after spirited driving the hesitation is usually there.

This isn't a great pic as it's been raining and the exhaust has been getting wet but you can see the white dots.. Sometimes it's like that x10 on both tips. Ill get a better pic soon.

[]D [] []V[] []D
    1999 trans am

It's pre cat bank 1 sensor 1 so upstream of cat. I didn't really want to shell out $180 for an 02 if it's not the problem if you know what I mean. Trying to rule out exhaust leak first before I buy an 02.

Few weeks ago well after the issue started I did go to install air delete plates on the headers and found the gaskets destroyed. I ordered new ones still hbe to get little gaskets in there but the code is still the same drivers side only.

I have noticed a slight trend. Yesterday on the way home I was babying it. Getting on the freeway easy and hitting cruise at 75mph she was smooth as silk for the 8 miles or so. Not even a slight hesitation. Somedays when I hit the on ramps hard before I get on the freeway or I'm just blowing the doors off fellow co-workers I notice it seems to happen. Once I hit cruise after spirited driving the hesitation is usually there.

This isn't a great pic as it's been raining and the exhaust has been getting wet but you can see the white dots.. Sometimes it's like that x10 on both tips. Ill get a better pic soon.
    Click for full size

do you have cats??? looks like little pieces of the ceramics inside the cats is breaking off and getting chucked out...

Black
    99 WS.6 - Modified

Quote Originally Posted by Spaz View Post
    do you have cats??? looks like little pieces of the ceramics inside the cats is breaking off and getting chucked out...
    My thought too.

Phantom Black Metallic
    2004 GTO M6

Yep. Exhaust pressure is prob building and popping the substrate out the tailpipes.

SOM
    2002 SS

Added more pics I just took to First post.

I was almost going to rule out cats because wouldnt my rear o2s throw a code? Then I realized I have a feeling they were turned off via tune.

Phantom Black Metallic
    2004 GTO M6

Most tuners will turn off the secondary O2s. So, you might have a cat inefficiency code and not know it.

SOM
    2002 SS

Yeah I think you are right. With a borderline pass last year, and now my tips looking like this i can't believe that there isnt something wrong. I think they are turned off. WHile you guys are here.. any suggestions on a cheap cat to replace these with? magnaflow 3" bullet ceramics or maybe I should go mettalic?

SOM
    2002 SS

ALso I should add it was raining real hard last night. I think the little balls may have something to do with water being in or on the tip as well ? WOndering if that might help figure out whats causing it.

Phantom Black Metallic
    2004 GTO M6

I am partial to Magnaflow. Look for Magnaflow bullets for your car.

Take your pick:

http://www.lmperformance.com/t/80-7/1.html
    Last edited by cammed goat; 05-30-2011 at 08:03 AM.

Mean Black
    1998 Trans Am

Yeah I think you are right. With a borderline pass last year, and now my tips looking like this i can't believe that there isnt something wrong. I think they are turned off. WHile you guys are here.. any suggestions on a cheap cat to replace these with? magnaflow 3" bullet ceramics or maybe I should go mettalic?
    it looks to me like ceramic particles like mentioned before. I don't think the rain has to do anything with it besides that if the area is wet the particles will stick more easily.

Wipe the tips off and start the car run it for a few miles and recheck. If it is coming from the exhaust you will see them more from the inside.
    You can also get a black towel and put it against the tip. have someone rev it up and hold the towel against the tip hold it for a min or until you cant anymore and see if the particules are on the towel as well.

Pewter
    1999 Trans Am

hesitation is prob a intake vacuum hose busted, check by the throttle body, and behind the intake manifold. and as far as the white residue, i have no clue.

Thread Information