Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Navy Blue Metallic
    2000 NBM SS

Unhappy Whine from the back

Ok guys about 2-3 days ago I noticed a whine coming from the back of my SS. It seems to get louder as I drive faster. It's not a scrapeing sound it's more like a howling. Also, it seems to quiet up a bit when I get off the gas at speed. But doesn't go away when I push the clutch in. I'd say it starts making the whine noise at about 8-9mph and intensifies as I accelerate. I'm thinking wheel hub bearing or even worst...my rear :'(

11 years of bangin gears cammed goat's Avatar

Phantom Black Metallic
    2004 GTO M6

Speaking from experience...it's your rear. It starts as a whine then gradually becomes a growl over time. Some will say rebuild and others will say replace. It all depends on how much money you have.

[]D [] []V[] []D
    1999 trans am

that would be your rear and it don't got much time left... if you get a new rear let me know... i'll give ya a hand swapping it out...

Custom Swirly Black
    2001 WS6 M6

Mines currently making the same noise. It's really loud inside the car as well, especially at higher speeds.

If you can, save up for a upgrade, and take it easy on it for now. One more hard launch could be the end.

Navy Blue Metallic
    2000 NBM SS

Spaz, I have it at my dad's friend's shop. Looks like my only route right now is a junk yard rear. I have the money for an upgrade but my dad would flip if I spent more than $1000 on a replacement. Just wondering how much an upgrade would run me. Assuming a ford 9"?

Custom Swirly Black
    2001 WS6 M6

Quote Originally Posted by molecularmann View Post
    Spaz, I have it at my dad's friend's shop. Looks like my only route right now is a junk yard rear. I have the money for an upgrade but my dad would flip if I spent more than $1000 on a replacement. Just wondering how much an upgrade would run me. Assuming a ford 9"?
    I think 3-4k, all depending on what you get. And that's installing it yourself.

Navy Blue Metallic
    2000 NBM SS

Ok, that's the price I thought it would be. What's the install look like? How long and isn't it just bolt up install?

Custom Swirly Black
    2001 WS6 M6

Ok, that's the price I thought it would be. What's the install look like? How long and isn't it just bolt up install?
    With a friend, it should be able to get done in 1/2 a day, I would imagine.

The companies who make them, custom produce them as a direct bolt up, but you will probably need a new drive shaft depending on which rear you go with. I'd also consider getting a DSL (driveshaft safety loop) at this point as well, since you'll have everything apart at this point.

I'm sure someone with more experience will chime in.

Black
    00 camaro ss M6 #6695

Mine was rebuild 5k miles ago. It always made that noise since then. Now it's getting louder.

Sad a good rear end is that expensive.

[]D [] []V[] []D
    1999 trans am

when you get your rear make sure you get the correct one (channels and gearing)...

tell your dad to look at it this way...

it will probably run $1,200.00 or so to get a rebuild done... a junk yard rear (if you are lucky enough to find the one) $600.00 or so... a refurbished probably around $800.00... then the cost to install unless you do it your selves... then you have to worry about the rear going out again because GM thought a 7.5" would suffice...

a 12 bolt $2,400.00 that will last a very long time and take some hard launches (and lets face it... us PA boys drive friggin nuts!!!)

midnight blue metalic
    2001 camaro z28

Red face

alright a 7.5 ring gear diameter rearend is the wine the teeth worn or bearings usually?
    and to think 5.0's have 8.8 "

Quote Originally Posted by Spaz View Post
    when you get your rear make sure you get the correct one (channels and gearing)...

tell your dad to look at it this way...

it will probably run $1,200.00 or so to get a rebuild done... a junk yard rear (if you are lucky enough to find the one) $600.00 or so... a refurbished probably around $800.00... then the cost to install unless you do it your selves... then you have to worry about the rear going out again because GM thought a 7.5" would suffice...

a 12 bolt $2,400.00 that will last a very long time and take some hard launches (and lets face it... us PA boys drive friggin nuts!!!)

Mean Black
    1998 Trans Am

if you don't have a lot of money i will suggest to take the rear end cover off and look at your gears, pull out the axles and inspect the race part of them. Replacing the bearings and seal is not too expensive. Put new gear oil and additive.

In my case i had a bad axle and bearing. i replace all the axle bearings and put new oil and my rear end quiet down.

You have to take it easy with these 10 bolts. They will break easy.

2002 Camaro Z/28 Pewter

I'd be willing to bet its just a bad bearing in which case the parts are about 159 and then its just the labor to put them all in... OTOH a junkyard rear is probably 100-200 or you can pickup one up on here for not too much more
    Last edited by Spaz; 05-04-2011 at 04:58 AM. Reason: other site name removed.

midnight blue metalic
    2001 camaro z28

Do you mean 10 bolt s holding the ring gear?
    Is that the weakness yer talkin about versus 12 bolts holding the ring gear?
    The 7.5 refers to the diameter of the ring gear it self?
    Well so the weakness is basicaly less bolts smaller size?
    Smaller weaker cheaper bearings?
    Seal weakness = seepage unchecked causing dry bearings?

Quote Originally Posted by JayTA98 View Post
    if you don't have a lot of money i will suggest to take the rear end cover off and look at your gears, pull out the axles and inspect the race part of them. Replacing the bearings and seal is not too expensive. Put new gear oil and additive.

In my case i had a bad axle and bearing. i replace all the axle bearings and put new oil and my rear end quiet down.

You have to take it easy with these 10 bolts. They will break easy.

midnight blue metalic
    2001 camaro z28

Okay so basiclaly whine would normaly be lack of lubrication or hard use = flat spotted wheel bearings?
    not sealed bearings?
    They would be spider side bearings conical bearings?

Quote Originally Posted by redbird555 View Post
    I'd be willing to bet its just a bad bearing in which case the parts are about 159 and then its just the labor to put them all in... OTOH a junkyard rear is probably 100-200 or you can pickup one up on here for not too much more

[]D [] []V[] []D
    1999 trans am

Quote Originally Posted by denegrader View Post
    Okay so basiclaly whine would normaly be lack of lubrication or hard use = flat spotted wheel bearings?
    not sealed bearings?
    They would be spider side bearings conical bearings?
    the whine can come from many things... most common is incorrect backlash on the gears...

midnight blue metalic
    2001 camaro z28

Just tryin to learn from ls1ers.
    Now incorect backlash ,isnt it referring to incorrect shims?
    How could i have incorrect backlash if it was never apart?
    Is it when ring and pionion wearthen maybe a new shim or shims may need to be installed/
    just tryin to learn
    thanx

the whine can come from many things... most common is incorrect backlash on the gears...

11 years of bangin gears cammed goat's Avatar

Phantom Black Metallic
    2004 GTO M6

Could be incorrect shims or incorrect amount of shims used causing either too much of a gap between the ring/pinion or the ring/pinion aren't spaced apart enough thus causing too much friction. I could be wrong though.

[]D [] []V[] []D
    1999 trans am

Quote Originally Posted by denegrader View Post
    Just tryin to learn from ls1ers.
    Now incorect backlash ,isnt it referring to incorrect shims?
    How could i have incorrect backlash if it was never apart?
    Is it when ring and pionion wearthen maybe a new shim or shims may need to be installed/
    just tryin to learn
    thanx
    your pinion and spider gear will wear over time and whine... shimming them to fix the whine is only a bandaid over a wound that will not heal...

your axles can cause some whine but not nearly as loud as the spide/pinion gears will... the bearings will produce a number of different sounds from clunking to an almost gurgle to a whine...

midnight blue metalic
    2001 camaro z28

Ok can you explain the reason for these issues that seem to be an issue with these ls-1 cars or??
    Is it maybe cause the whole rear end gears and bearings are what just engineered to small or??????
    I figure someone or you may have a better idea than me
    thanx

your pinion and spider gear will wear over time and whine... shimming them to fix the whine is only a bandaid over a wound that will not heal...

your axles can cause some whine but not nearly as loud as the spide/pinion gears will... the bearings will produce a number of different sounds from clunking to an almost gurgle to a whine...

Thread Information