Black
    1999 Chevrolet Camaro Z28

When Should a MAF be upgraded?

Hello all,

I am new to the forum and I have a 99 Z28 with a 02 SS engine in it, 5.7L standard i guess. I started doing upgrades and building the top end and I was needing advice on whether I needed to upgrade the MAF. I'm keeping the Car NA for now and no plans to boost in the near future. So far the engine has had the 241 heads replaced with 243's, BTR stage 2 cam 227/234 .614”/ .576” 113+2 LSA I believe and the springs are .660 with titanium retainers. It has hardened pushrod, upgraded BTR trunnions in new rockers, 42lb deatschweks injectors, 450 walbro in tank fuel pump. Fast 92 throttle body and Fast 92mm intake. it also has SLP lid and LT headers. The rear O2s have been deleted and no Cats , just straight pipe out to flowmaster but has an electric cutout. Is the stock MAF gonna be a bottleneck for this build and should I look for some kind of upgrade or let it be? and also, I haven't tuned it yet on a dyno but I have HP tuners and I have it running pretty good but I know more is there as soon as I can afford a dyno. I appreciate any advice where to go from here and also, with this current build any guess where the HP and torque might land after a dyno tune? Oh and I forgot it has a 4l60E that has been recently rebuilt and still under warranty so I'm not gonna go manual for a while but maybe a stall? this is going to be a street car and 93 octane.

thanks all,

Gary

Black & Blue
    '02 WS.6 / '07 Suburban

General rule is that the stock MAF will support up to 500 hp. I do not see it as a "bottleneck" with your current configuration. Once you push past that benchmark, most guys will elect to eliminate the MAF and run a speed density tune. Rather than measuring airflow with the MAF, it is "estimated" through a combination of the MAP sensor and other engine sensor outputs.

Black/ Silver
    98 TA WS6/ 01 C5 Corvette

If you want to upgrade the MAF I honestly would suggest getting rid of it and getting a Speed Density tune and then getting a silicone tube that is 4" wide and I believe 6" long iirc to replace it. Aftermarket MAFs I have seen and heard people use can have issues if not tuned right and can be very difficult to tune for.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk
    1998 Trans Am WS6 - Phantom
    421 CI LQ9, Tick Performance Custom Cam, TFS 255cc LS3 heads, Kooks 2" LT headers, Kooks 3" True Duals w/ high flow cats, FTP 104 lid, Speed Density Tune, 4" silicon tube, LS6 VCT, FAST 102 Intake, NW 102 TB, Oil Catch Can, SLP Bilstein Shocks w/ Vogtland Springs, CTS-V 4-piston Calipers w/C6 Z06 rotors, Stainless Steel Brake Lines, R1 concepts premium rotors, Hawk HP+ brake pads, VFN WSQ Hood, C5-R timing chain, SLP oil pump, E85 tune, Walbro 450 fuel pump, Deatschwerkz 95# injectors, Breathless performance headlights, Frost Tune, !HVAC.
    (Coming Soon) BMR DSL, UMI TQ Arm
    421 LQ9 14.8:1 on E85 Build/

Silver
    '02 Trans Am WS-6, 6M

Quote Originally Posted by pajeff02 View Post
    General rule is that the stock MAF will support up to 500 hp. I do not see it as a "bottleneck" with your current configuration. Once you push past that benchmark, most guys will elect to eliminate the MAF and run a speed density tune. Rather than measuring airflow with the MAF, it is "estimated" through a combination of the MAP sensor and other engine sensor outputs.
    This is going to sound nitpicky but I am going to ask it anyways; 500 hp at crank or wheels? I ask because eventually my goal is to be at about 500 or a few smidges above in rwhp.

Thread Information